• Thread starter Joshua Goldberg
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshua Goldberg

Gabe (bentnut)

> Just wanted to say that I am pleased that in your last message, you added
that you wanted me to continue writing this Calfee/Fast Freddy thread.

> Your spelling has improved btw, but the word response has no C in it.

> I will have to check with Cambie about the length of the Recumboni. I was
told by someone (in the bent industry) who would know and (who posts here) that the Recumboni WAS 6
inches shorter than a GRR...so for now I will assume you are correct on the length of the Recumboni.

> Wow, Fast Freddy and the other guy have done a (combined) 200,000 miles on
bents. Not bad, but SOLO I've done a tad over 140,000 bent....so I'm not THAT impressed and you
folks live in a nice warm climate without snow, ice and minus 20-40 C. wind-chill to ride in. You
think Fast Freddy could handle 140K in the weather I ride in?

> As for the Calfee coming out as a Non-Track bent for the masses. My
mistake, I thought someone wrote it was to be sold for track use and designed to be socked.

> As for the Calfee coming out in (different) sizes to suit different
riders...re: my statement that the bent cannot come in a different size for that fairing to
work...again I read into this something that was not there...my mistake again.

> I don't have the message you posted to refer to, one of my cats stepped on
the Delete key while I was doing my 1st reply and your message is gone and so I am winging it trying
to remember the points you made that I agree/disagree with. Maybe post the message again and I'll
find a few other points to address.

Oh Yeah...why my crusade? Well there was no crusade until Fast Freddy offered me the $1,000.00 and
THEN it became personal.

As for where are all the people who are supporting what I write....I don't think they want to get
Hate Letters from Fast Freddy, so they asked me to NOT use their names on this NG. I did however
receive one Email of support that floored me. It was from a Senior Executive of a large U.S.
Automaker who said my standing up to Fast Freddy has shown to him that I have balls and he'd like to
get involved in Marketing my trikes...how nice. Another letter came from a Venture Capitalist and
the 3rd from a company offering to do machining of parts (free) to keep my trike prices
low.....since I am doing these trikes as a Non-Profit venture.

For me this whole Flame War has turned out pretty good....I am not complaining at all.

My only regret is people who I was under the impression were willing to tolerate me...have turned to
support Fast Freddy and his $3,000.00 bent venture.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... .
>
> > Wow, Fast Freddy and the other guy have done a (combined) 200,000 miles
on
> bents. Not bad, but SOLO I've done a tad over 140,000 bent....so I'm not THAT impressed and you
> folks live in a nice warm climate without snow, ice and minus 20-40 C. wind-chill to ride in. You
> think Fast Freddy could
handle
> 140K in the weather I ride in?
>

Gosh Josh you racked up a lot of miles last month. On January 31, 2003 you said you had ridden a
mere 86,000 miles bent. So that would make February 2003 a 50,000 + mile month for you.

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> > No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million
miles
> > riding and I'm still alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh
Yeah...on
> > bents my total distance is a mere 86,000 miles.

Actually Josh, I think it's your memory that's in question.

Skip

> Gosh Josh you racked up a lot of miles last month. On January 31, 2003
you
> said you had ridden a mere 86,000 miles bent. So that would make February 2003 a 50,000 + mile
> month for you.
>
> > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> > > No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million
> miles
> > > riding and I'm still alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh
> Yeah...on
> > > bents my total distance is a mere 86,000 miles.
>
> Actually Josh, I think it's your memory that's in question.
>
> Skip
>

In fairness, Skip, Joshua has stated that he's put a lot of miles on mtb's, too.

Rich

nearly 900 miles, but who's counting?

I was going to correct that 140K figure but had to take a phone call and just got back on the PC 20
minutes ago. Actual was 90,000 bent Plus 14,000 on E-Bents and ICE-Bents (104,000). I had the number
4 in the wrong place....104,000 not 140,000

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> news:[email protected]... .
> >
> > > Wow, Fast Freddy and the other guy have done a (combined) 200,000
miles
> on
> > bents. Not bad, but SOLO I've done a tad over 140,000 bent....so I'm not THAT impressed and you
> > folks live in a nice warm climate without snow,
ice
> > and minus 20-40 C. wind-chill to ride in. You think Fast Freddy could
> handle
> > 140K in the weather I ride in?
> >
>
> Gosh Josh you racked up a lot of miles last month. On January 31, 2003
you
> said you had ridden a mere 86,000 miles bent. So that would make February 2003 a 50,000 + mile
> month for you.
>
> > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> > > No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million
> miles
> > > riding and I'm still alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh
> Yeah...on
> > > bents my total distance is a mere 86,000 miles.
>
> Actually Josh, I think it's your memory that's in question.
>
> Skip

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev

> My only regret is people who I was under the impression were willing to tolerate me...have turned
> to support Fast Freddy and his $3,000.00 bent venture.

Ah the good old "If you're not for us you're against us"-idea? Luckily not everyone thinks (?)
like Dubya and we are perfectly able to tolerate you while at the same time thinking that bike is
pretty cool. ;-)

Regards Mikael

Wheelbases:

Recumboni: 70" Tour Easy / Gold Rush XL: 70.5" Tour Easy / Gold Rush S: 63"

One can conclude with a reasonable degree of accuracy that the overall length of an LWB is wheelbase
+ half front wheel diameter + half rear wheel diameter + front tyre sidewall height + rear tyre
sidewall height, and most bike tyres have the sidewall height as near as makes no odds the same as
their width. Which suggests an overall length of:

Recumboni: 93" (front wheel 37-406, rear wheel 47-559) Tour Easy / GRR XL SS: 94" (front wheel
28-451, rear wheel 28-622)

The Stiletto (or whatever) is shortened in comparison to an equivalent Tour Easy by virtue of the
remote steering - compare its fork rake with that of a Tour Easy - but only by a couple of inches
at most. Some doodling on the photo of the Calfee/Markham machine suggests a wheelbase of ~63",
which makes a certain amount of sense as Freddy is no giant. I would not care to comment on the
overall length without knowing the wheel sizes, but I'm sure Gabe can fill in the blanks should he
so desire.

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

news:[email protected]... <snip>

> Gabe (bentnut)
>
>I did however receive one Email of support that floored me. It was from a Senior Executive of a
>large U.S. Automaker who said my standing up to Fast Freddy has shown to him that I have balls and
>he'd like to get involved in Marketing my trikes...how nice.

Wow Josh this guy must really like your balls.

Another
> letter came from a Venture Capitalist and the 3rd from a company offering
to
> do machining of parts (free) to keep my trike prices low.....since I am doing these trikes as a
> Non-Profit venture.

It really warms my heart to see a Venture Capitalist with an interest in a Non-Profit venture. I
always thought of all the Capitalist Pigs the Venture Capitalist Pigs were the biggest, fattest, and
most greedy. Maybe you are mistaken and it really was a Benture Capitalist interested in your bent
adventure. Anyway, a company that offers to do your machining for free - well they have to be
special. Maybe they are non-profit too.
>
> My only regret is people who I was under the impression were willing to tolerate me...have turned
> to support Fast Freddy and his $3,000.00 bent venture.
>
Not me man, I love you. Fast Freddy is mean and his bicycle is silly. Hope this makes you
feel better.

Skip

What...you don't like the way President G.W.Bush thinks?

IMO Dubya has done more to improve the Canadian economy that any U.S.President since L.B.J., kind of
a shame what he's done to the U.S. economy though.
-----------------------------------------------------
"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Joshua Goldberg" skrev
>
> > My only regret is people who I was under the impression were willing to tolerate me...have
> > turned to support Fast Freddy and his $3,000.00 bent venture.
>
> Ah the good old "If you're not for us you're against us"-idea? Luckily not everyone thinks (?)
> like Dubya and we are perfectly able to tolerate you while at the same time thinking that bike is
> pretty cool.
;-)
>
> Regards Mikael

Okay If anyone cares to go back and do a search of Google you'll find where my 6 inches info came
from. I had originally written that the Recumboni was longer and lower than a TE and then a person
who would know posted the messgae correcting me...saying the Recumboni was lower, but was 6 inches
shorter than the TE. I don't want to name the person, but his measurement guote is there. Cannot
remember, but I think he also gave the length difference between the RANS V2 and the Recumboni. The
time frame was between April and Sept.2002
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Wheelbases:
>
> Recumboni: 70" Tour Easy / Gold Rush XL: 70.5" Tour Easy / Gold Rush S: 63"
>
> One can conclude with a reasonable degree of accuracy that the overall length of an LWB is
> wheelbase + half front wheel diameter + half rear
wheel
> diameter + front tyre sidewall height + rear tyre sidewall height, and
most
> bike tyres have the sidewall height as near as makes no odds the same as their width. Which
> suggests an overall length of:
>
> Recumboni: 93" (front wheel 37-406, rear wheel 47-559) Tour Easy / GRR XL SS: 94" (front wheel
> 28-451, rear wheel 28-622)
>
> The Stiletto (or whatever) is shortened in comparison to an equivalent
Tour
> Easy by virtue of the remote steering - compare its fork rake with that of
a
> Tour Easy - but only by a couple of inches at most. Some doodling on the photo of the
> Calfee/Markham machine suggests a wheelbase of ~63", which makes a certain amount of sense as
> Freddy is no giant. I would not care
to
> comment on the overall length without knowing the wheel sizes, but I'm
sure
> Gabe can fill in the blanks should he so desire.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> ===========================================================
> Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I was going to correct that 140K figure but had to take a phone call and just got back on the PC
> 20 minutes ago. Actual was 90,000 bent Plus 14,000 on E-Bents and ICE-Bents (104,000). I
had
> the number 4 in the wrong place....104,000 not 140,000

Josh, actually your mistake was so simple I'm amazed you didn't catch it. It doesn't involve ice
bents, e-bents, or your cats revising your postings while you were on the telephone. You simply
confused miles and kilometers. 86,000 miles = 140,000 km + or - a few thou. This kind of thing
happens all the time to those who must constantly do mental factoring of km / miles conversions.
Could happen to any Canadian. You know with all those miles, over all those years, on so many
different HPVs, little mistakes like this are just bound to crop up form time to time.

So there you go dude. You are still ok in my book.

Skip

I blame my cat fighting with me for more realestate on my keyboard for this...guote = quote and
messgae = message. She gave up and is snoozing on my Scanner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
> Okay If anyone cares to go back and do a search of Google you'll find where my
> inches info came from. I had originally written that the Recumboni was longer and lower than a TE
> and then a person who would know posted the messgae correcting me...saying the Recumboni was
> lower, but was 6 inches shorter than the TE. I don't
want
> to name the person, but his measurement guote is there. Cannot remember, but I think he also gave
> the length difference between
the
> RANS V2 and the Recumboni. The time frame was between April and Sept.2002
> -------------------------------------------------------------
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Wheelbases:
> >
> > Recumboni: 70" Tour Easy / Gold Rush XL: 70.5" Tour Easy / Gold Rush S: 63"
> >
> > One can conclude with a reasonable degree of accuracy that the overall length of an LWB is
> > wheelbase + half front wheel diameter + half rear
> wheel
> > diameter + front tyre sidewall height + rear tyre sidewall height, and
> most
> > bike tyres have the sidewall height as near as makes no odds the same as their width. Which
> > suggests an overall length of:
> >
> > Recumboni: 93" (front wheel 37-406, rear wheel 47-559) Tour Easy / GRR XL SS: 94" (front wheel
> > 28-451, rear wheel 28-622)
> >
> > The Stiletto (or whatever) is shortened in comparison to an equivalent
> Tour
> > Easy by virtue of the remote steering - compare its fork rake with that
of
> a
> > Tour Easy - but only by a couple of inches at most. Some doodling on
the
> > photo of the Calfee/Markham machine suggests a wheelbase of ~63", which makes a certain amount
> > of sense as Freddy is no giant. I would not care
> to
> > comment on the overall length without knowing the wheel sizes, but I'm
> sure
> > Gabe can fill in the blanks should he so desire.
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> > ===========================================================
> > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
> > ===========================================================
> >
>

Did he just use the words "thinks" and "President G.W.Bush" in the same sentence? Now I *know*
Joshua has gone mad...

You are still okay in my book.

Now you have everyone wondering how much I paid you to write this. *I have been in Canada since
late 69 and I still have not figured out the Metric thing and luckily the Toronto Police accept
this conversion ignorance as a valid excuse when I get pulled over for doing 38 mph in a 40 kph
speed zone.

*Was remembering last night. I used to belong to a thing called the "Million Mile Club", don't know
of those Clubs still exist. The idea was members had to log a (minimum) of 400 miles weekly on a
bicycle in order to stay in the Club. The idea was by age 65-80 a member would reach 1 million miles
pedaling. For 2 years I went to a Univ. that was 20 miles from my apt., I'd ride to the campus in
the morning, ride home for lunch and ride back to the campus and ride home after my last class (80
miles a day) and on weekends I'd ride in a group 100 miles. So for 2 years I logged 72,000 miles.

Now I ride 16-17 miles per day (about 6,000 miles a year)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was going to correct that 140K figure but had to take a phone call and just got back on the PC
> > 20 minutes ago. Actual was 90,000 bent Plus 14,000 on E-Bents and ICE-Bents (104,000). I
> had
> > the number 4 in the wrong place....104,000 not 140,000
>
> Josh, actually your mistake was so simple I'm amazed you didn't catch it. It doesn't involve ice
> bents, e-bents, or your cats revising your postings while you were on the telephone. You simply
> confused miles and
kilometers.
> 86,000 miles = 140,000 km + or - a few thou. This kind of thing happens
all
> the time to those who must constantly do mental factoring of km / miles conversions. Could happen
> to any Canadian. You know with all those
miles,
> over all those years, on so many different HPVs, little mistakes like this are just bound to crop
> up form time to time.
>
> So there you go dude. You are still ok in my book.
>
> Skip

Joshua wrote:

> If anyone cares to go back and do a search of Google you'll find where my 6 inches info came from.

So I did. On the one hand, Bryan Ball stated, on June 24th 2002, "my large size Tour Easy was a good
4-6 inches longer". On the other, one "JDW" wrote, on January 8th 2002, "The bike is about the same
length as the XL Stratus". I took my numbers from Cambie's and Easy Racer's web sites, so:

1. one of the manufacturers is posting incorrect figures, or
2. one or other of the bikes has changed since last June, or
3. Bryan's Tour Easy got stretched, or
4. Bryan made an error when measuring.

FWIW, RANS say that the XL Stratus has a 70.25" wheelbase, from which one can infer a length of
~92.5". The standard Stratus has a 66" wb. The Recumboni is lower than the RANS or Easy Racers
machines (though a Rotator Pursuit is lower still).

The Venture Capitalist is cool, he is a big supporter of all things bent, he wants to distribute my
products for me in the U.S. and he has removed Easy Racers/Calfee off his list of companies he wants
to know. Thing is, some people here have said they will (never) buy anything I sell and that is fine
with me, but that might prove somewhat difficult for them unless they also abandon cycling
altogether...re: some of the products I am the North American distributor for (such as Disc Brakes)
will be showing up on bents and Mtbs made by other companies....not on Easy Racer/Calfee though, I
think they'd rather shove a grenade down their pants before dealing with me.

I am a Virgin to this whole Cycling business area, I've always loved cycling, but (never) thought
about making a living from it. I had cousins who setup bike shops and I saw those cousins get
stinkin rich and then their businesses failed and they moved on. I saw that the key reason for their
failure was they stopped cycling and started driving Jags and Rovers and stopped connecting to other
cyclists and what their customers needed/wanted. As they got richer they shifted away from quality
Italian bikes and went for cheap Nishiki, Fuji, Sekine and generic bikes...bigger profit share
routine to get them better cars and 2nd homes.

I have NO desire to make $ selling bents and honestly I will shut this venture down IF I start
making $ from it...I think this is why Fast Freddy and I are on different planets. We both appear
to be very into cycling, but cycling pays his rent and allows him to offer folks like me $1,000.
to shut the F**K up when someone rains on his parade. I don't get all twisted and threaten people
when people run me down...hmmm (unless that running me down involves a car) and then it is Open
Season on autos.

I have been taking a Poll of all my friends, asking them IF I come across as someone who is mean and
nasty the way GABE claims I was towards Fast Freddy.

Seems my friends never thought to mention to me that I CAN be
insensitive/mean/nasty/vindictive/warped/morbid/critical/sardonic (not sure what that
meant)/hateful/disrespectful/cryptic and a few others that makes me look like the Spawn of Satan.

Geez...remind me to NOT take anymore Polls of my friends.

I am NOT apologizing (YET) to Fast Freddy for what I wrote ALTHOUGH that $1,000.00 would be nice
Fred nudge nudge wink wink.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------

>
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
>
> > Gabe (bentnut)
> >
> >I did however receive one Email of support that floored me. It was from a Senior Executive of a
> >large U.S.
Automaker
> > who said my standing up to Fast Freddy has shown to him that I have
balls
> > and he'd like to get involved in Marketing my trikes...how nice.
>
> Wow Josh this guy must really like your balls.
>
> Another
> > letter came from a Venture Capitalist and the 3rd from a company
offering
> to
> > do machining of parts (free) to keep my trike prices low.....since I am doing these trikes as a
> > Non-Profit venture.
>
> It really warms my heart to see a Venture Capitalist with an interest in a Non-Profit venture. I
> always thought of all the Capitalist Pigs the
Venture
> Capitalist Pigs were the biggest, fattest, and most greedy. Maybe you are mistaken and it really
> was a Benture Capitalist interested in your bent adventure. Anyway, a company that offers to do
> your machining for free - well they have to be special. Maybe they are non-profit too.
> >
> > My only regret is people who I was under the impression were willing to tolerate me...have
> > turned to support Fast Freddy and his $3,000.00 bent venture.
> >
> Not me man, I love you. Fast Freddy is mean and his bicycle is silly.
Hope
> this makes you feel better.
>
> Skip

SO...you found the 6 inch quote eh

Hope GABE sees this too. It is nice when I am found to be correct....it has happened so rarely
as of late.
--------------------------------------------------------
> Joshua wrote:
>
> > If anyone cares to go back and do a search of Google you'll find where my 6 inches info
> > came from.
>
> So I did. On the one hand, Bryan Ball stated, on June 24th 2002, "my
large
> size Tour Easy was a good 4-6 inches longer". On the other, one "JDW" wrote, on January 8th 2002,
> "The bike is about the same length as the XL Stratus". I took my numbers from Cambie's and Easy
> Racer's web sites, so:
>
> 1. one of the manufacturers is posting incorrect figures, or
> 2. one or other of the bikes has changed since last June, or
> 3. Bryan's Tour Easy got stretched, or
> 4. Bryan made an error when measuring.
>
> FWIW, RANS say that the XL Stratus has a 70.25" wheelbase, from which one can infer a length of
> ~92.5". The standard Stratus has a 66" wb. The Recumboni is lower than the RANS or Easy Racers
> machines (though a Rotator Pursuit is lower still).
>

news:[email protected]... <snip>

...I went to a Univ. that was 20 miles from my apt., I'd
> ride to the campus in the morning, ride home for lunch and ride back to
the
> campus and ride home after my last class (80 miles a day)...

That's where that 186 IQ of yours must have kicked in. If I had ridden a bicycle for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2
hours during the school day it would have taken me about 15 years to graduate.

Skip

What can I say...I was a Republican and I cannot speak poorly of any President while he is still in
power, especially when Dubya has the ability to reduce Canada to dust if so desires.
------------------------------------
> Did he just use the words "thinks" and "President G.W.Bush" in the same sentence? Now I *know*
> Joshua has gone mad...
>

And when did I give you the impression I was Finished going to University? I began University 33
years ago and I have a Logistics Mngmnt. exam at 1 pm today. In total I've been in University 8
years and in College 5 (not counting Part-time courses).

You are assuming I have a Life beyond school...I don't, my wife won't allow
it.
--------------------------------------------------
>
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
>
> ...I went to a Univ. that was 20 miles from my apt., I'd
> > ride to the campus in the morning, ride home for lunch and ride back to
> the
> > campus and ride home after my last class (80 miles a day)...
>
> That's where that 186 IQ of yours must have kicked in. If I had ridden a bicycle for 4 1/2 to 5
> 1/2 hours during the school day it would have taken me about 15 years to graduate.
>
> Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.