Gaelic Pronunciation

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by AndyP, Feb 22, 2004.

1. AndyP

AndyP Guest

Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd
    pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.

http://www.munromagic.com

Tags:

2. "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    > I'd pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

Many thanks. A fantastic resource. Now I understand why nobody understood me!!

--
    M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ms1938/

3. Rodders

Rodders Guest

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles
    without
    > causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd pass that on in case it's of
    any
    > interest to anyone.
    >
    >

Great site. Thanks

Rory

4. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:00:35 -0000, "Rodders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >Great site. Thanks
    >
    >Rory
    >

I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as much
    trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a blank stare
    at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !

Paul Leigh Lancs

5. Kro

Kro Guest

"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    > attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as
    > much trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a blank
    > stare at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !

Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading and
    understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation is
    straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)

KRO

6. Boo

Boo Guest

AndyP wrote:
    > pronounced

Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?

--
    Boo

7. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net>
    wrote:

>
    >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?

It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

8. >Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem
    >with Gaelic it's reading and understanding (no small part of the language!)
    >however once demonstrated, the pronounciation is straightforward.
    >Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >
    >KRO
    >

Key there is "once demonstrated" - must mean that most of the Glaswegians I have met in
    bothies/bunkhouses have never had the demonstration, cos they sure pronounce the hills names just as
    haphazardly as we English!

:))

Paul

9. Davec

Davec Guest

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    >

Excellent - thank you. Do you know of any similar sites that offer pronounciation for Welsh hills?

10. Davec

Davec Guest

Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    > underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

Excellent for us English settlers!

11. Mb

Mb Guest

Paul Richardson wrote:
    >>Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading
    >>and understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation
    >>is straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >>
    >>KRO
    >>
    >
    >
    > Key there is "once demonstrated" - must mean that most of the Glaswegians I have met in
    > bothies/bunkhouses have never had the demonstration, cos they sure pronounce the hills names just
    > as haphazardly as we English!
    >
    > :))
    >
    > Paul
    >

Of course Sassenach also used to mean to Lowlanders or non-Gaelic speakers and not just to
    the English.

12. Fay Burns

Fay Burns Guest

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >

Do you know of any other web sites

13. A Kelly

A Kelly Guest

"Rodders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles
    > without
    > > causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd pass that on in case it's of
    > any
    > > interest to anyone.
    > >
    > > http://www.munromagic.com
    > >
    >
    > Great site. Thanks
    >
    > Rory

Yep gotta agree really good, got any more useful sites?

14. Mo

Mo Guest

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >
    > >
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just

good information

15. Mo

Mo Guest

>
    > >
    >
    good information. do you know of any more sites like this?

16. Rab

Rab Guest

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    > > attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as
    > > much trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a
    > > blank stare at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !
    >
    > Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading
    > and understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation
    > is straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >
    > KRO
    i dont understand gaelic either as i am a lowlander

17. "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected].uk>...
    >

The family next door to myself are really into Gaelic and their children go to a gaelic school in
    Cumbernauld.They would appreciate any othe information you can forward for their benefit and th
    schools. Hope you can assist. Frank

18. Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > >
    >

Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Sandy

Sandy Guest

THOMAS HAINEY wrote:
    > Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >>
    >> It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    >> underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.
    >
    > Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    > conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a
    > life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Coatbridge College are joining in now. I can nearly see it from my house :)

--
    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
    --

E-Mail:- [email protected] Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
    uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled

20. Kro

Kro Guest

"THOMAS HAINEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    > conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a
    > life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me Thomas but I have to ask why you think this site is demeaning Gaelic? I think you'll find
    that a large majority of hillwalkers etc are non Gaelic speaking and are naturally inquisitive about
    all these strange names they're walking up, through and over. As I've said, I don't speak Gaelic and
    have used the website to find out the pronounciation of many a hill. You've overreacted somewhat.

KRO