Gaelic Pronunciation

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by AndyP, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd
    pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.

    http://www.munromagic.com

    Tags:

  2. "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    > I'd pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

    Many thanks. A fantastic resource. Now I understand why nobody understood me!!

    --
    M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ms1938/

  3. Rodders

    Rodders Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles
    without
    > causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd pass that on in case it's of
    any
    > interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

    Great site. Thanks

    Rory

  4. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:00:35 -0000, "Rodders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Great site. Thanks
    >
    >Rory

    I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as much
    trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a blank stare
    at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  5. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    > attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as
    > much trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a blank
    > stare at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !

    Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading and
    understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation is
    straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)

    KRO

  6. Boo

    Boo Guest

    AndyP wrote:
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced

    Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?

    --
    Boo

  7. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net>
    wrote:

    >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?

    It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

  8. >Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem
    >with Gaelic it's reading and understanding (no small part of the language!)
    >however once demonstrated, the pronounciation is straightforward.
    >Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >
    >KRO

    Key there is "once demonstrated" - must mean that most of the Glaswegians I have met in
    bothies/bunkhouses have never had the demonstration, cos they sure pronounce the hills names just as
    haphazardly as we English!

    :))

    Paul

  9. Davec

    Davec Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    > I'd pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

    Excellent - thank you. Do you know of any similar sites that offer pronounciation for Welsh hills?

  10. Davec

    Davec Guest

    Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    > underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

    Excellent for us English settlers!

  11. Mb

    Mb Guest

    Paul Richardson wrote:
    >>Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading
    >>and understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation
    >>is straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >>
    >>KRO
    >>

    > Key there is "once demonstrated" - must mean that most of the Glaswegians I have met in
    > bothies/bunkhouses have never had the demonstration, cos they sure pronounce the hills names just
    > as haphazardly as we English!
    >
    > :))
    >
    > Paul

    Of course Sassenach also used to mean to Lowlanders or non-Gaelic speakers and not just to
    the English.

  12. Fay Burns

    Fay Burns Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    > I'd pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

    Do you know of any other web sites

  13. A Kelly

    A Kelly Guest

    "Rodders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles
    > without
    > > causing offence or amusement. Thought I'd pass that on in case it's of
    > any
    > > interest to anyone.
    > >
    > > http://www.munromagic.com
    > >

    > Great site. Thanks
    >
    > Rory

    Yep gotta agree really good, got any more useful sites?

  14. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    > underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

    good information

  15. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    > underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.
    good information. do you know of any more sites like this?

  16. Rab

    Rab Guest

    "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I agree - good site and I use it a lot, but don't necessarily expect many people to understand
    > > attempts to reproduce the gaelic sounds either - in my experience most (lowland?) Scots have as
    > > much trouble pronouncing the Gaelic as a Sassenach like me! You're as likely to be met by a
    > > blank stare at "Skoor naaan Keroianan" as you are calling it "Chrysanthemum" !
    >
    > Sorry, totally disagree with you there. If lowland Scots have a problem with Gaelic it's reading
    > and understanding (no small part of the language!) however once demonstrated, the pronounciation
    > is straightforward. Not so for mere Sassenachs :)
    >
    > KRO
    i dont understand gaelic either as i am a lowlander

  17. "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected].uk>...
    > Just discovered that on the following site you can listen to how Scottish hills ought to be
    > pronounced in distinguished mountaineering circles without causing offence or amusement. Thought
    > I'd pass that on in case it's of any interest to anyone.
    >
    > http://www.munromagic.com

    The family next door to myself are really into Gaelic and their children go to a gaelic school in
    Cumbernauld.They would appreciate any othe information you can forward for their benefit and th
    schools. Hope you can assist. Frank

  18. Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    > underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.

    Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    THOMAS HAINEY wrote:
    > Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:18 +0000, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Forgive me for being stupid, but how exactly ?
    >>
    >> It's not immediately obvious. There's a button at the top of each hill description page, just
    >> underneath the name of the hill, labelled Pronunciation.
    >
    > Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    > conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a
    > life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I see Coatbridge College are joining in now. I can nearly see it from my house :)

    --
    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy
    --

    E-Mail:- [email protected] Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
    uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled

  20. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "THOMAS HAINEY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gaelic is not a hard language to learn so would everybody stop their moanin,i feel this site and
    > conversation is only being used to demean the situation and language so get a

    Forgive me Thomas but I have to ask why you think this site is demeaning Gaelic? I think you'll find
    that a large majority of hillwalkers etc are non Gaelic speaking and are naturally inquisitive about
    all these strange names they're walking up, through and over. As I've said, I don't speak Gaelic and
    have used the website to find out the pronounciation of many a hill. You've overreacted somewhat.

    KRO