Gaining anything in simple rides?

mike7382

Jul 27, 2004
I wanted to know if u get anything out of an easy ride. For instance i ride around a block next to my house. It is almost exactly a quarter mile around once. So today i did 10 miles worth. I was not going all out or anything. It is all flat i just did a lot of miles. So am i gaining any muscle, stamina, or endurance doing this? Am i wasting my time? It is just a quick couple loops since it is very cold in PA at this time. In otherwords is this any type of training or do i have to at lleast 25 miles around this block of mine?

mike7382 said:
I wanted to know if u get anything out of an easy ride. For instance i ride around a block next to my house. It is almost exactly a quarter mile around once. So today i did 10 miles worth. I was not going all out or anything. It is all flat i just did a lot of miles. So am i gaining any muscle, stamina, or endurance doing this? Am i wasting my time? It is just a quick couple loops since it is very cold in PA at this time. In otherwords is this any type of training or do i have to at lleast 25 miles around this block of mine?
If you enjoyed yourself, you're not wasting your time:). You are probably not doing much as far as training. Try doing intervals on this sort of ride, or ride it like a crit, with fast bursts out of the corners. The intensity is more crucial than the distance, if you do 25 miles at a very low intensity it still won't improve your riding much. I am assuming that when weather permits you normally ride these distances or much further, if not than you're probably doing some good.

mike7382 said:
Getting out for 10 miles is a lot better than sitting on the couch and wishing for spring. I'd prefer going somewhere out and back for 10 miles instead of 40 laps around the block, but to each his own.

As OCR said, if you enjoyed the ride, that's the biggest benefit. As a recreational rider (or racer), what are you trying to "gain" anyway but enjoyment and health.

dhk said:
Getting out for 10 miles is a lot better than sitting on the couch and wishing for spring. I'd prefer going somewhere out and back for 10 miles instead of 40 laps around the block, but to each his own.

As OCR said, if you enjoyed the ride, that's the biggest benefit. As a recreational rider (or racer), what are you trying to "gain" anyway but enjoyment and health.
I never thought about me getting off the couch. I guess im just so used to riding i dont consider it exercise anymore. At least i get to ride even if it is around my sometimes boring block.