Galaga Ginger- How to store it

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Surething, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Surething

    Surething Guest

    As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
    (3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
    who care to reply and help!

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
    >(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
    >who care to reply and help!

    Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm climate.

    Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
    some up, take a chunk, re-plant.

    Boron

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    wrote:

    >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
    >(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
    >who care to reply and help!

    $4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.

    -sw

  4. Surething

    Surething Guest

    WOW- Really?
    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai
    food!
    > >It is very expensive (3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it
    so
    > >it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those who care to reply and help!
    > >
    > Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
    > climate.
    >
    > Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
    > some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
    >
    > Boron

  5. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
    >>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to
    >>those who care to reply and help!
    >
    >$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.
    >
    >-sw

    Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
    variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.

    http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Alpi_gal.html

    Mr. Katzer is an expert in the field and his web pages are remarkable for their depth and accuracy,
    as well as their lovely pictures.

    Boron

  6. Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
    >>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to
    >>those who care to reply and help!
    >>
    > Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
    > climate.
    >
    > Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
    > some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
    >
    > Boron

    If you don't want to "take care of it", you can in a jar and cover it with dry sherry, rice wine,
    etc., and refrigerate. It will keep indefinitely.

    Wayne

  7. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:11:29 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >WOW- Really? "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai
    >food!
    >> >It is very expensive (3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it
    >so
    >> >it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those who care to reply and help!
    >> >
    >> Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
    >> climate.
    >>
    >> Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
    >> some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
    >>
    >> Boron

    You betcha. I have mine in front of my patio doors with a southern exposure.

    DO NOT give it a full sun exposure out of doors, though. It needs dappled light.

    Boron

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:35:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.
    >
    >Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
    >variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.

    The OP spelled it two different ways. "Galaga" is a video game, not a rhizome.

    -sw

  9. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:36:27 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:35:22 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in
    >>>moist sand.
    >>
    >>Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
    >>variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.
    >
    >The OP spelled it two different ways. "Galaga" is a video game, not a rhizome.

    Amazingly, I inserted the proper letter in the word when reading it. Sorry.

    Boron