Galaga Ginger- How to store it

Surething

Guest
As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
who care to reply and help!

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
>who care to reply and help!

Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm climate.

Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
some up, take a chunk, re-plant.

Boron

wrote:

>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those
>who care to reply and help!

$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.

-sw

WOW- Really?
"Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai
food!
> >It is very expensive (3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it
so
> >it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those who care to reply and help!
> >
> Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
> climate.
>
> Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
> some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
>
> Boron

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
>>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to
>>those who care to reply and help!
>
>$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.
>
>-sw

Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Alpi_gal.html

Mr. Katzer is an expert in the field and his web pages are remarkable for their depth and accuracy,
as well as their lovely pictures.

Boron

Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai food! It is very expensive
>>(3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it so it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to
>>those who care to reply and help!
>>
> Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
> climate.
>
> Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
> some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
>
> Boron

If you don't want to "take care of it", you can in a jar and cover it with dry sherry, rice wine,
etc., and refrigerate. It will keep indefinitely.

Wayne

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:11:29 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>WOW- Really? "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:55 -0500, "Surething" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >As part of cooking adventures- I bought some Galanga Ginger for Thai
>food!
>> >It is very expensive (3.99/lb). I used a little. Now how do I store it
>so
>> >it wont get rotten? Thanks in advance to those who care to reply and help!
>> >
>> Plant it in a pot and keep it in a sunny window, or plant it outdoors if you live in a warm
>> climate.
>>
>> Pretty soon it will sprout & you will have lots of nice, fresh galangal whenever you need it. Dig
>> some up, take a chunk, re-plant.
>>
>> Boron

You betcha. I have mine in front of my patio doors with a southern exposure.

DO NOT give it a full sun exposure out of doors, though. It needs dappled light.

Boron

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:35:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in moist sand.
>
>Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
>variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.

The OP spelled it two different ways. "Galaga" is a video game, not a rhizome.

-sw

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:36:27 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:35:22 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:57:18 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>$4/lb is cheap for Galangal (notice correct spelling). Store it at room temperature in
>>>moist sand.
>>
>>Gernot Katzer, who graciously posted to this group the other day, has a listing of the name
>>variations on his pages. Either way is acceptable.
>
>The OP spelled it two different ways. "Galaga" is a video game, not a rhizome.

Amazingly, I inserted the proper letter in the word when reading it. Sorry.

Boron