Galibier vs Alpe D'huez

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by stevelikesrice, May 15, 2011.

1. stevelikesrice

stevelikesrice New Member

I will be in France during the 2011 Tour, and can visit the stage finishing on the Galibier, or Alpe D'Huez (not both, unfortunately).

I want to visit the stage that replicates what I see on TV: a motorcycle clearing a path through crowds that are 10 people deep on each side up the roads, crowds that are almost pushing right up against the riders as they climb to the finish.

Anyone have experience with the Galibier or Alpe D'Huez? I think both would be epic climbs, but which would give me what I want?

Thanks

Steve

Tags:

2. jontee61

jontee61 New Member

hi steve. alpe dhuez is fantastic but depending on your transport you may need to be on the mountain 2-3 days before stage. incedntly you may be interested in my post today re following tour de france. good luck.

3. ccallana

ccallana New Member

I was in the Pyrenees last year, and I'll tell you that either climb you will need to be there early, and expect to walk up hill alot. The roads are closed the day before and the campers have been there for a week.

Either one is going to give an awesome experience. I'd go to the Alpe just because it's the Alpe :)