Galicia (Spain) route advice

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by [email protected], Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Any advice on on-road routes near Santiago de Compostela gratefully
    accepted. From map, west looks good with roads following the coast.
    Trip is 4 days in May, doing around 100km per day. Many thanks in
    advance, Reg

    Tags:

  2. We cycled from Barcelona to Santiago years ago and from La Coruna to
    Vigo, going into Santiago about 6 years ago.
    La Coruna is a nice town. We cycled along the coast (traffic signs
    non-existent!) going to places like Malpica, Corme Porto, Camarinas (if
    you do, see Cabo Vilan), Muxia and then down to Finisterre. This upper
    portion is (was) poor, cheap and very interesting. Not touristy at all.
    Traffic light.
    We then cycled to Finisterre and Cape Finisterre and along the coast.
    Stayed in brilliant Hostal (cheap hotel, not hostel) in Carnota.
    Brilliant food. From there down to Muros (gorgeous town) and on to
    Santiago is beautiful and more touristy. Santiago is good. Then back to
    Noia (much busier) and around the coast. This area very tourisy. Be
    sure and see O Castro (the remains of an old Celtic settlement. Superb
    location. This peninsula is very developed but the views are excellent.
    Stayed in O Boiro. Then continued on along the coast, staying in O
    Grove which is a big resort and finally getting a boat from Cangas to
    Vigo. My memories are coloured by superb weather, but I really enjoyed
    it. Only downside was heavy traffic in areas. The seafood in Galicia is
    wonderful and at that time it was cheap.

    highlights for me.

    Muros. O Castro, views near Carnota, from Bueu to Cangas, having lunch
    at beach restaurant in Bueu on a gorgeous day, fantastic fish stews in
    Hostal in Carnota and restaurant in O Grove.

  3. Thanks. Really useful info. I was looking at doing the coast from
    Finisterre possibly as far as Pontevedra, so taking in much of your
    route. I was hoping to find it fairly quiet in May. It certainly was
    last May when I did a tour further east in Asturias/Cantabria. What
    time of the year did you go? Reg

  4. October. Got smashing unexpected weather. Don't understand how "traffic
    light" and a garbled sentence got into my account.

    I had "Calamares en su tinta" in the town of Finisterre for my lunch.
    Squid in its ink. It looked like sewage but was divine. Try it!

  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hi,

    Some 5 years ago (the summer before the Prestige wreckage) we pushed our
    Santiago travel further. From Santiago we headed SW: Bertamiráns, (plenty of
    rural roads, pretty hilly with steep grades, no traffic) Os Dices, Padrón,
    then stayed in a camping along the Ría de Arousa (Vilagarcia ? Not sure
    about the exact place). From there we did a day trip up to the Mirador de la
    Curota (wonderful view). Then we followed the coast in a clockwise way:
    Rianxo, Pobra do Caramiñal, Ribeira, Noia, Muros, Corcubion, Fisterra, Cabo
    Fisterra, Cabo Touriñan, Muxia, Cabo Vilán, Laxe, Malpicá, La Coruña.

    In general: traffic was light, there were plenty of camping opportunities
    and small hotels, great beaches in remote places (the oil spill hadn't
    destroyed the place then, I hope it recovered since), fantastic views, and
    nice food. Actually, we found it better than the Camino de Santiago itself.
    In some places (mostly along the Costa de la Muerte -- ie roughly from
    Fisterra to a Coruña), you will find a dirt track running along the coast.
    It is suitable for standard hybrid bicycles, fully loaded.
    And last but not least: people are friendly !

    Weather ? It was July, but the NW coast is known for its crappy weather.
    Like a detached part of Scotland that would have drifted to the south and
    carried its own microclimate with it. But you get also the sun on very
    regular intervals. Bring sun cream and raining jacket, you'll use both.

    For a four day stay, I think that you'll have to make a choice between the
    costa de la Muerte, and the coast further south (rías de Pontevedra, Vigo,
    etc). The first is wildest, has the less favourable weather, and a rugged
    coastline. The second part should be more sunny, is more developped, carry
    more traffic, and offers more leisure activities opportunities.

    So make your opinion, and enjoy your trip.

    Eric

  6. Again, great info. Thanks. I think I'm going to try and get the best
    of both worlds, i.e. from SdC airport head south-west and hit the coast
    around Rianxo then follow it 'clockwise' to somewhere north of
    Finisterre (e.g. Muxia) then head in a straightish line back to SdC.
    Looks do-able in 4 days? (wind permitting). Reg

  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    It depends on your cycling fitness and out-of-the bike interests.
    I guess it is ambitious but feasible. Anyway, you will never be more than
    aout 1/2 day cycling away from Santiago.
    BTW, I spoke today to a colleague orginating from this area. The Prestige
    spill has no (visible) impact anymore today.
    Eric.

    news:[email protected]