Gambrills, Odenton, Crofton Maryland?

Babbar

Aug 10, 2003
Any recreational riders in the Gambrills area. I am a 58 year old man who got into cycling two years ago and have become somewhat of a fanatic.

I ride almost daily from 15 miles on weekdays up to 60+ miles on the weekends. I range from Gambrills to Allen Pond in Bowie to BWI Airport trail, down the B&A trail to Annapolis and back to Gambrills via Crownsville. I am open to other trips, possibly to south county.

I generally average 13-15 mph, with occasional bursts up to 30, and occasional laboring up hills at 10. The 15mph average is at the beginning of the ride and the 13 is towards the end!

I generally ride in the afternoons on weekdays from about 3-5pm and on the weekends, depending on the weather, starting as early as 7:00am.

Anyone interested in riding with an opinionated old curmudgeon, drop me a privage message.

Babbar

Aug 10, 2003
Three stories about my quest to find a riding partner.

I was riding along when a young man on a hybrid rode up along side. He asked if he could ride along and I said "sure."

He then asked "Where you going?" I said "Bowie" (about a 40 mile round trip) and he said "Man, I can't go that far!" It made me feel good that a guy half my age couldn't keep up.

Then, the same day, on my way home, I was laboring up a hill, and I mean LABORING! An older women, mid-60's, went by me on a road bike, with baskets and panniers chock full of stuff, and said "Hi, how you doing" as she zoomed by me! So much for my previously inflated ego.

Then, two days ago, I was riding along and a young guy on a Cannondale R600 pulled along side. He asked if I'd like to ride along with him. I said sure, and he said "I average about 20mph." I said, bye bye! and off he went!

Somewhere out there in the area is someone who rides like me!

joule

Sep 7, 2004
Babbar said:
Three stories about my quest to find a riding partner.

I was riding along when a young man on a hybrid rode up along side. He asked if he could ride along and I said "sure."

He then asked "Where you going?" I said "Bowie" (about a 40 mile round trip) and he said "Man, I can't go that far!" It made me feel good that a guy half my age couldn't keep up.

Then, the same day, on my way home, I was laboring up a hill, and I mean LABORING! An older women, mid-60's, went by me on a road bike, with baskets and panniers chock full of stuff, and said "Hi, how you doing" as she zoomed by me! So much for my previously inflated ego.

Then, two days ago, I was riding along and a young guy on a Cannondale R600 pulled along side. He asked if I'd like to ride along with him. I said sure, and he said "I average about 20mph." I said, bye bye! and off he went!

Somewhere out there in the area is someone who rides like me!
Suggest first off you check out www.baltobikeclub.org. Web site for the Baltimore Bicycling Club. They have rides posted on the web for nearly every weekend and some weekdays. Have various class rides both below, at and above your riding level. I've just started riding a few weeks ago and probably at about your same level (did a forty miler last weekend in 2.5 hours). Course there are other clubs in the area, but the BBC is the biggest I know of. Sure there are a few down south near DC too, but not up on what is down there (live NW of Baltimore myself).