gapping seat out?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by squeegy, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. squeegy

    squeegy Guest

    Tags:

  2. kapoute

    kapoute Guest

    well, its a preference I guess. I think you should choose the one that
    you are the most confortable with. Personally, I started gapping seat
    in but when I got use hopping seat out I switched to seat out for
    gapping et doing a lot of other trial stuff

    --
    kapoute

    Damn my english sucks

    Julien Renaud
    kapoute's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8060

  3. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

    gaping seat out is the trials aproch and seat is more like the street
    aporch.. thats how I see it .

    --
    maxisback

    Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
    quit are just dumb
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    either rolling hop seat in, or static hop seat out, is the best way to
    go.
    but if you hop with your left foot forward holding the seat with your
    left hand, or your right foot forward holding the seat with your right
    hand, its a lot harder. in my not so humble opinion.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  5. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    I seem to be better at gapping by either rolling hop or seat-in hop. My
    dominant foot/"pushing foot" (right) stays in the back, while my
    guiding foot (left) controls the direction of the cranks. I hold the
    seat with my right hand, too.

    I need to work on my switch hopping (right foot in front, left in
    back).

    I'm goofy-footed when it comes to
    skateboarding/surfing/wakeboarding/etc though.

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  6. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

    sif takes a bit of practice but as soon as you get good at it.. you
    progress really fast and it gets really usefull

    --
    maxisback

    Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
    quit are just dumb
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

  7. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

    Yo Squeegy! I'm just getting into trials and street and I'm learing to
    hop seat out aswell (practicing today actully)!

    It's not that hard to gap a long way seat in (I can do about 150cm)
    even with my small legs! (I weigh 8 stone).

    May I mention Yoggi? Who rarely hops seat out and does seat in hops
    that most people wouldn't dare without a unicycle! Like kapoute said
    it's probably about personal preference although it wouldn't hurt to
    get the feel of seat out hopping and see if you like it.

    Am I right in saying that you mainly need seat out hopping to get
    height?

    Until then: Rolling hops :D

    Hope this helps
    -Andy :)

    --
    andycookuk

    *Spoon boy*: -Do not try and ride the unicycle. Instead only try to
    realize the truth.-
    *Neo*: -What truth?-
    *Spoon boy*: -There is no unicycle.-
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

  8. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    andycookuk wrote:
    > Yo Squeegy! I'm just getting into trials and street and I'm learing to
    > hop seat out aswell (practicing today actully)!
    >
    > It's not that hard to gap a long way seat in (I can do about 150cm)
    > even with my small legs! (I weigh 8 stone).
    >
    > May I mention Yoggi? Who rarely hops seat out and does seat in hops
    > that most people wouldn't dare without a unicycle! Like kapoute said
    > it's probably about personal preference although it wouldn't hurt to
    > get the feel of seat out hopping and see if you like it.
    >
    > Am I right in saying that you mainly need seat out hopping to get
    > height?
    >
    > Until then: Rolling hops :D
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > -Andy :)

    Yeah.. but Yoggi can't bust out a 42" hop. All in all when gapping from
    a static start seat-out has far more potential. Once you get seat-out
    down well you'll realise that seat-in is just... well... ugly. :p

    --
    Murde Mental

    "You make love demon style." ~Kristine

    Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
    sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
    little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  9. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    Murde Mental wrote:
    > Once you get seat-out down well you'll realise that seat-in is just...
    > well... ugly. :p

    In some strange way that just made my day

    Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
    lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  10. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    TrialsUni wrote:
    > In some strange way that just made my day
    >
    > Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
    > lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

    Well in any event... when trying to pick up high-speeds (which is what
    you want to do before you lunge) it's better to have the seat-in so
    that you don't get all wobbly before the take-off.

    The only advantage to this is when trying to clear a certain line fast
    or fluidly.. so that you don't have to pause and put the seat-back in.

    --
    Murde Mental

    "You make love demon style." ~Kristine

    Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
    sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
    little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  11. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    TrialsUni wrote:
    > Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
    > lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

    in Defect, Zach Baldwin does a seat out 180 rolling hop on to a picnic
    table...it's INSANE!!

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  12. All depends on how far your jumping...I do seat in hops for little
    distances but for long distances to cover i do SIF.

    --
    unicyclerpunk

    Who shot the sherriff????.......habbywall did of course but now the
    question is Who shot the deputy? is he still alive?
    unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

  13. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    unicyclerpunk wrote:
    > All depends on how far your jumping...I do seat in hops for little
    > distances but for long distances to cover i do SIF.

    it doesn't depend on how far you're gapping when doing stuff seat-out
    isin't a problem.

    You just do everything seat-out.

    Just face it, the only thing that seat-in is better at is skinnies and
    things requiring speed.

    --
    Murde Mental

    "You make love demon style." ~Kristine

    Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
    sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
    little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  14. I myself find seat-in gapping much easier, my measured record is 1.8m
    flat gap between two sets of pallets (5 high) but im sure ive done at
    least 2m now.

    I guess it's a personal preference, but I find seat out quite
    inhibiting on my skills

    --
    unicyclistjoe

    NZUni President
    93cm Highest Hop
    225cm Longest Hop
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  15. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > in Defect, Zach Baldwin does a seat out 180 rolling hop on to a picnic
    > table...it's INSANE!!

    I don't own the film...yet. (But I will buy it! Probably when I order
    a BC wheel for my birthday)

    But, I have seen several clips of Zack doing the skill. Ryan also does
    a sif rolling hop in the vid he posted online not too long ago.

    That's what made me want to try them. So far they're pretty fun, and
    actually not that hard to learn.

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  16. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

    I find seat in gapping much easier. But I guess if I really decide to
    practise seat out gapping I will probably pick it up quite easily.

    I can gap 1.5 meters between my gapping bars seat in. Seat out its a
    little shorter.

    I can agree with the "stopping to go seat in" will make you line less
    fluid.

    --
    fexnix

    '*My fresh gallery*'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
    *I Got Infinite Skillz*
    fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

  17. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

    seat out is good for trials.. if you look at the greatest trials riders
    the ride seat out..

    --
    maxisback

    Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
    quit are just dumb
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

  18. I used to be abe to do everything seat in better than seat out. Then
    late this summer, I finally decided to work on high SIF sidehops, and
    almost immediatly, all my trials riding improved when I did it seat
    out. Not just gapping, but my all-around trials improved when I did it
    SIF.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  19. Seager

    Seager Guest

  20. saam

    saam Guest

    Seager wrote:
    > I think landings are much better SIF. You can really absorb the impact
    > better and do more precision hops without correction hops.

    i agree i'm not quite as good at SIF as seat in but i can gap/hop much
    more accuratly SIF. When a gap seat in i have trouble landing and
    staying there, i seem to have too much side ways momentum but with SIF
    i can lean the opposite way to the way im gapping then when i land my
    momentum straightens me up and i'm ready for the next hop. (for some
    reason i can't do this seat in)

    Now i only gap seat in if its not in a line or it has a fair bit of
    drop. And i use SIF for lines and drops which i can't roll out of (i
    kinda rock out of the drop, like a little idle but most force gets
    absorbed by my knees).

    i have to learn to do all my SIF one handed, at the moment i hold the
    seat with two hand and it is really holding me back :(

    --
    saam

    :D go ta ave e pos eye tive at er tude on life :D
    saam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168