gapping seat out?

kapoute

Guest
well, its a preference I guess. I think you should choose the one that
you are the most confortable with. Personally, I started gapping seat
in but when I got use hopping seat out I switched to seat out for
gapping et doing a lot of other trial stuff

--
kapoute

Damn my english sucks

Julien Renaud
kapoute's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8060

James_Potter

Guest
either rolling hop seat in, or static hop seat out, is the best way to
go.
but if you hop with your left foot forward holding the seat with your
left hand, or your right foot forward holding the seat with your right
hand, its a lot harder. in my not so humble opinion.

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

burjzyntski

Guest
I seem to be better at gapping by either rolling hop or seat-in hop. My
dominant foot/"pushing foot" (right) stays in the back, while my
guiding foot (left) controls the direction of the cranks. I hold the
seat with my right hand, too.

I need to work on my switch hopping (right foot in front, left in
back).

I'm goofy-footed when it comes to
skateboarding/surfing/wakeboarding/etc though.

--
burjzyntski

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

\"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

andycookuk

Guest
Yo Squeegy! I'm just getting into trials and street and I'm learing to
hop seat out aswell (practicing today actully)!

It's not that hard to gap a long way seat in (I can do about 150cm)
even with my small legs! (I weigh 8 stone).

May I mention Yoggi? Who rarely hops seat out and does seat in hops
that most people wouldn't dare without a unicycle! Like kapoute said
it's probably about personal preference although it wouldn't hurt to
get the feel of seat out hopping and see if you like it.

Am I right in saying that you mainly need seat out hopping to get
height?

Until then: Rolling hops :D

Hope this helps
-Andy :)

--
andycookuk

*Spoon boy*: -Do not try and ride the unicycle. Instead only try to
realize the truth.-
*Neo*: -What truth?-
*Spoon boy*: -There is no unicycle.-
andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138

Murde Mental

Guest
andycookuk wrote:
> Yo Squeegy! I'm just getting into trials and street and I'm learing to
> hop seat out aswell (practicing today actully)!
>
> It's not that hard to gap a long way seat in (I can do about 150cm)
> even with my small legs! (I weigh 8 stone).
>
> May I mention Yoggi? Who rarely hops seat out and does seat in hops
> that most people wouldn't dare without a unicycle! Like kapoute said
> it's probably about personal preference although it wouldn't hurt to
> get the feel of seat out hopping and see if you like it.
>
> Am I right in saying that you mainly need seat out hopping to get
> height?
>
> Until then: Rolling hops :D
>
> Hope this helps
> -Andy :)

Yeah.. but Yoggi can't bust out a 42" hop. All in all when gapping from
a static start seat-out has far more potential. Once you get seat-out
down well you'll realise that seat-in is just... well... ugly. :p

--
Murde Mental

"You make love demon style." ~Kristine

Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

TrialsUni

Guest
Murde Mental wrote:
> Once you get seat-out down well you'll realise that seat-in is just...
> well... ugly. :p

In some strange way that just made my day

Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

Murde Mental

Guest
TrialsUni wrote:
> In some strange way that just made my day
>
> Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
> lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

Well in any event... when trying to pick up high-speeds (which is what
you want to do before you lunge) it's better to have the seat-in so
that you don't get all wobbly before the take-off.

The only advantage to this is when trying to clear a certain line fast
or fluidly.. so that you don't have to pause and put the seat-back in.

--

TrialsUni wrote:
> Nobody has mentioned seat-out rolling hops. I've been working on those
> lately with surprising success. They're pretty fun to do.

in Defect, Zach Baldwin does a seat out 180 rolling hop on to a picnic
table...it's INSANE!!

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

unicyclerpunk

Guest
All depends on how far your jumping...I do seat in hops for little
distances but for long distances to cover i do SIF.

--
unicyclerpunk

Who shot the sherriff????.......habbywall did of course but now the
question is Who shot the deputy? is he still alive?
unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

Murde Mental

Guest
unicyclerpunk wrote:
> All depends on how far your jumping...I do seat in hops for little
> distances but for long distances to cover i do SIF.

it doesn't depend on how far you're gapping when doing stuff seat-out
isin't a problem.

You just do everything seat-out.

Just face it, the only thing that seat-in is better at is skinnies and
things requiring speed.

--
Murde Mental

"You make love demon style." ~Kristine

Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

unicyclistjoe

Guest
I myself find seat-in gapping much easier, my measured record is 1.8m
flat gap between two sets of pallets (5 high) but im sure ive done at
least 2m now.

I guess it's a personal preference, but I find seat out quite
inhibiting on my skills

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
93cm Highest Hop
225cm Longest Hop
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

TrialsUni

Guest
James_Potter wrote:
> in Defect, Zach Baldwin does a seat out 180 rolling hop on to a picnic
> table...it's INSANE!!

I don't own the film...yet. (But I will buy it! Probably when I order
a BC wheel for my birthday)

But, I have seen several clips of Zack doing the skill. Ryan also does
a sif rolling hop in the vid he posted online not too long ago.

That's what made me want to try them. So far they're pretty fun, and
actually not that hard to learn.

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

fexnix

Guest
I find seat in gapping much easier. But I guess if I really decide to
practise seat out gapping I will probably pick it up quite easily.

I can gap 1.5 meters between my gapping bars seat in. Seat out its a
little shorter.

I can agree with the "stopping to go seat in" will make you line less
fluid.

--
fexnix

'*My fresh gallery*'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
*I Got Infinite Skillz*
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

forrestunifreak

Guest
I used to be abe to do everything seat in better than seat out. Then
late this summer, I finally decided to work on high SIF sidehops, and
almost immediatly, all my trials riding improved when I did it seat
out. Not just gapping, but my all-around trials improved when I did it
SIF.

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

saam

Guest
Seager wrote:
> I think landings are much better SIF. You can really absorb the impact
> better and do more precision hops without correction hops.

i agree i'm not quite as good at SIF as seat in but i can gap/hop much
more accuratly SIF. When a gap seat in i have trouble landing and
staying there, i seem to have too much side ways momentum but with SIF
i can lean the opposite way to the way im gapping then when i land my
momentum straightens me up and i'm ready for the next hop. (for some
reason i can't do this seat in)

Now i only gap seat in if its not in a line or it has a fair bit of
drop. And i use SIF for lines and drops which i can't roll out of (i
kinda rock out of the drop, like a little idle but most force gets
absorbed by my knees).

i have to learn to do all my SIF one handed, at the moment i hold the
seat with two hand and it is really holding me back :(

--
saam

:D go ta ave e pos eye tive at er tude on life :D
saam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168