Garbage disposal & water filtration

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun 17 Jul 2005 10:34:09a, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> As far as a garbage disposal, I would go with In-Sink-Erator. You
> >> won't be sorry.

> > After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
> > But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

> I don't think you can go wrong with Kenmore appliances. Regardless of who
> makes products for them, Sears sets their own specs, and they're often better
> than other brands.

Well, it's an In-Sink-Erator. The 1-HP 7-year-warranty auto-
reverse model. Woot!

It's in the garage, still in the box. I'll have the contractor
put it in.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new

Edwin Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mark Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> the baths. It was very easy to mount a whole house type housing in the
> >> ceiling and it filters the cold water and refrigerator water. I've see
> >> some
> >> in a laundry room next to the kitchen also. It is just easier than
> >> trying
> >> to change a filter under a cramped sink. All our cold water is filtered
> >> in
> >> the kitchen, not just a little tap for drinking water.

> > Hmm, I'm starting to get to the end of my rope, expense-wise
> > (as you might imagine). That sounds like a pretty big add-on.

> $50 or less.

Well, I picked up a whole-house filtration system for something
like thirty bucks today. The only thing it'll filter out is
sediment, but that's good enough - and I'll put a real filter
under the sink.

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 11:14:46p, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
>> > But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

>> I don't think you can go wrong with Kenmore appliances. Regardless of
>> who makes products for them, Sears sets their own specs, and they're
>> often better than other brands.

> Well, it's an In-Sink-Erator. The 1-HP 7-year-warranty auto-
> reverse model. Woot!
>
> It's in the garage, still in the box. I'll have the contractor
> put it in.

You've made a good choice! Good luck with your new kitchen!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 11:17:39 PM

Brick <[email protected]> wrote:

> Given your original post Mark, I concluded that you didn't have the space
> for a central (whole house system) anywhere. Mine is 4' high and 18" in
> dia. I installled it in a hall closet where the upper half serves as my
> over-
> flow pantry. I simply spliced into the cold water input under my Mfg'd
> home so everything inside the house is filtered. The outside faucets
> remain unfiltered. The unit has been installed for about three years. It
> uses about 30# of salt a year. I tested my water just a couple of weeks
> ago. It is clean of hardness and iron products, but shows high on akali.

See, that's a problem.

I'm a homebrewer, so I want a certain amount of hardness. In
fact, the only thing I really DON'T want for beer water is
chlorine - so I do one of two things: I either draw about 12
gallons of unfiltered tap water, bring it to a boil, and let
it cool in the pot till the next day; or I filter the water
and then add ions back in via salt, epsom salts, and gypsum.

> We get a lot of water interruptions in our neighborhood and before the
> filter, we always got mud after the water was turned back on. No longer.
> The filter takes it all out and then apparently cleans itself when it gets
> damned good and ready. These machines go for about $400.00 at Home
> Despot. We're happy with it.

I bought a sediment-and-silt trap for the main line in, and
a Culligan double-filter system for under the sink. I think
that ought to just about do it.

Thanks, though!

--

Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:

> > > The water filtration choice is a no-brainer: RO (Reverse Osmosis)... if
> > > you have a basement install it there... much easier to install and
> > > service than cramped under the sink,, makes running a line to the
> > > fridge a smap, and who needs yet another thing under the sink that can
> > > leak when you're not looking, and cause damage.

> > No basement. No room at all, really - if I put a system in
> > it's going to be an under-the-sink model.

> Sure, but it's far more important to choose *what* than the *where*,
> and what often dictates where. You also need to consider where to run
> the supply to your fridge, often not so simple from the sink. Under
> the kitchen sink is the last place I'd choose, with no basement I'd
> choose an adjacent room space; inside a utility room, a closet, a
> laundry room, anywhere but under the kitchen sink.

The only thing adjacent is the outside, unfortunately. To put
it in the laundry room or the water-heater closet would require
running a line through the wall and back.

I placed an order for a filtration system yesterday, and it's
going under the sink. Not the best place perhaps, but in my
case it's the only place.