Garbage Truck from Hell

Gags

Guest
About a week or so ago I was riding to work and had left home at my usual
time of 0600h. I was riding down Rosanna Rd towards Heidelberg as I
generally do at that time of the morning due to there being next to no
traffic about. I was going pretty quick down the hill from the Lwr Plenty
Rd end and I was in the middle of the left hand lane and doing about 45 to
50 km/h or so. A garbage truck came out from the left and basically turned
left in front of me without even slowing down. I braked pretty hard and
swerved to the left hand side of the road as the truck turned into the right
lane and started accelerating. I pulled up next to the truck in the left
lane and looked at the guy in the cabin and told him to "HAVE A FSKING
LOOK!!!". His response was to smile at me, give me the finger, and then
accelerate off.......

I was pretty ****** so I kept it in a big gear and hammered down the flat to
the lights at Burgundy where he was waiting to turn right. There were a
couple of cars between him and the lights so I pulled up in front of him and
turned around to ask him what his problem was. Mr truck driver was a bit of
a hero and told me to "get some lights"......I actually had a flasher on my
helmet and two others on the front of the bike (not to mention the three red
ones on the back) so I wasn't real impressed. The lights turned green and
so I made sure that I was pretty slow in getting moving so that I could turn
right on the late orange. Of course Mr Hero followed me through on the red
and then proceeded to swerve over to try and put me in the gutter as he went
past. I was expecting something like this and so I avoided him pretty
easily and then he pulled up and started to reverse down a laneway on the
left hand side of the road to get access to some of the bins down there.
This gave me a perfect opportunity for one last spray and I considered
getting off of the bike and inviting him out of the cabin for a little chat.
I then decided that all I would achieve would either be getting hurt myself
or getting charged for assault and so I settled for riding around the front
of his truck and shaking my head at the guy. He gobbed off again but having
decided that it wasn't worth it I just kept riding. All of the way up
Burgundy I was half expecting him to come past and cut me off again but I
guess he had some more rubbish to collect??

I was pretty fired up for a while but then I started thinking that he might
take it out on another cyclist and so since then I have tried my best to be
very forgiving and greet every driver error with a wave to acknowledge that
yes, they did stuff up, but I am OK. I have managed to keep up this facade
to date and although I am not convinced that the message is getting through,
I am hoping that it might have some sort of positive effect on some of the
drivers out there???

Keep Safe

Gags

Rego recorded? reported??

he's obviously on a regular run so easily tracked down.

Let's form a posse and hunt the varmant outta town...

flyingdutch said:
Rego recorded? reported??

he's obviously on a regular run so easily tracked down.

Let's form a posse and hunt the varmant outta town...

Nah, contact local council and ask who holds the street cleaning contract.

Draft a letter with details and report the incident with the company. Then follow up the issue with the sub-contractor & council and play it as a polite win/win sorta situation. Let us know how you go. ;)

Gags wrote:

> I was pretty fired up for a while but then I started thinking that he might
> take it out on another cyclist

He'd already proven himself to be an ********, nothing you did was going
to change that.

daveB

Gags wrote:

[chomp]

You took on a truck on a bicycle?! By putting yourself in FRONT of it?!
Brave ...

Bleve said:
Gags wrote:
[chomp]
You took on a truck on a bicycle?! By putting yourself in FRONT of it?!
Brave ...

The truck is slower.. what are they going to do? Run over an innocent man?
Oh wait.. Melbourne..

hippy

Gags[/QUOTE]

I cant believe that you managed to do any of this. In this situation, i would be struggling to get over the nausea from the smell of the rubbish truck, let alone chase the truck etc.