Garbanzo Soup

aem

Guest
Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected, but
the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there was
also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
something to add to this as a start? -aem

aem wrote:
> Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
> empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
> but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
> puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
> if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
> and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there
> was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
> third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
> Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
> something to add to this as a start? -aem

Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some ground ancho
or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can always stir that in
towards the end after tasting the soup, which is what I would do.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
> > empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
> > but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
> > puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
> > if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
> > and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there
> > was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
> > third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
> > Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
> > something to add to this as a start? -aem

> Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some ground ancho
> or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can always stir that in
> towards the end after tasting the soup, which is what I would do.

I didn't taste any oregano or any cumin and it was mild, not spicy.
But there were background flavors I couldn't tag. Maybe some pumpkin
seeds? I'm going to play around with it a few times. If I come up
with anything good, I'll post it. -aem

aem wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> aem wrote:
>>> Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
>>> empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
>>> but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
>>> puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the
>>> waiter
>>> if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and
>>> garlic and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I
>>> know there
>>> was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on
>>> its third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the
>>> cook.
>>> Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
>>> something to add to this as a start? -aem

>> Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some
>> ground ancho or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can
>> always stir that in towards the end after tasting the soup, which is
>> what I would do.
>>

> I didn't taste any oregano or any cumin and it was mild, not spicy.
> But there were background flavors I couldn't tag. Maybe some pumpkin
> seeds? I'm going to play around with it a few times. If I come up
> with anything good, I'll post it. -aem

Please do! You know I'm a soup fanatic! On top of that, I adore garbanzo
beans. :)

Jill

"aem" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
> empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected, but
> the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
> puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
> if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
> and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there was
> also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
> third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
> Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
> something to add to this as a start? -aem

Onion and garlic maybe. The soup sounds wonderful. I've never thought of a
Garbanzo Soup. I will mess with this. A good chicken stock will make it
nice too.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin