Garbanzo Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by aem, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. aem

    aem Guest

    Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
    empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected, but
    the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
    puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
    if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
    and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there was
    also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
    third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
    Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
    something to add to this as a start? -aem

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    aem wrote:
    > Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
    > empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
    > but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
    > puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
    > if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
    > and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there
    > was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
    > third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
    > Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
    > something to add to this as a start? -aem

    Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some ground ancho
    or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can always stir that in
    towards the end after tasting the soup, which is what I would do.

    Jill

  3. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > aem wrote:
    > > Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
    > > empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
    > > but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
    > > puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
    > > if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
    > > and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there
    > > was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
    > > third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
    > > Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
    > > something to add to this as a start? -aem

    > Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some ground ancho
    > or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can always stir that in
    > towards the end after tasting the soup, which is what I would do.

    I didn't taste any oregano or any cumin and it was mild, not spicy.
    But there were background flavors I couldn't tag. Maybe some pumpkin
    seeds? I'm going to play around with it a few times. If I come up
    with anything good, I'll post it. -aem

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    aem wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> aem wrote:
    >>> Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
    >>> empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected,
    >>> but the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
    >>> puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the
    >>> waiter
    >>> if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and
    >>> garlic and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I
    >>> know there
    >>> was also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on
    >>> its third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the
    >>> cook.
    >>> Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
    >>> something to add to this as a start? -aem

    >> Mexican oregano? Was there any spice to it at all? Maybe some
    >> ground ancho or chipotle pepper or pepper sauce? Of course you can
    >> always stir that in towards the end after tasting the soup, which is
    >> what I would do.
    >>

    > I didn't taste any oregano or any cumin and it was mild, not spicy.
    > But there were background flavors I couldn't tag. Maybe some pumpkin
    > seeds? I'm going to play around with it a few times. If I come up
    > with anything good, I'll post it. -aem

    Please do! You know I'm a soup fanatic! On top of that, I adore garbanzo
    beans. :)

    Jill

  5. "aem" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]legroups.com:

    > Went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. The
    > empanadas de pescado (fish empanadas) were as terrific as expected, but
    > the unexpected star of the meal was soup. They served a smoothly
    > puréed, subtle 'sopa de garbanzos' that was so good I asked the waiter
    > if I could get the recipe. He said, "well, it's just onion and garlic
    > and garbanzo beans and chicken stock and a bay leaf." I know there was
    > also carrot in it. This is a family operation, I think now on its
    > third generation, and the waiter is probably related to the cook.
    > Well, I'm going to try to reproduce this, but does anyone have
    > something to add to this as a start? -aem

    Onion and garlic maybe. The soup sounds wonderful. I've never thought of a
    Garbanzo Soup. I will mess with this. A good chicken stock will make it
    nice too.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin