Garmin 510 - problems

jondor58

Mar 8, 2013
I bought a Garmin 510 premium bundle 4 weeks ago today. In the first 10 days I used it 5 times and 4 out of the 5 times both the heart rate and cadence stopped registering at exactly the some point, somewhere between 10 minutes and 2 hours into a ride. I took it back and 14 days later it came back with a new heart rate monitor and cadence/speed sensor. Seemed strage to me as the problem must be with the head unit, anyway I used it a gain yesterday and exactly the same thing happened. Heart rate and cadence stop registering at the same time. Speed (GPS) time, distance, elevation, temperature all continue to register for the duration of the ride, I even produced printouts of the rides showing the problem to the shop which they sent to Garmin. I'm now waiting for Garmin to decide if they will replace the whole unit or give me a refund. Prior to it going back the first time I did update the software, did factory resets, the guy at the shop checked the cadence sensor and I had it set up right, so all of those things have been checked.

Has anyone else experienced this problem.?

Welcome to product Beta testing. The hours are long, the frustrations are many and the pay is crappy, but think of the poorly developed products you'll help prevent others from buying!

We, the members of the Society of Responsible Non-Early Adopters thank you!

Damn...and an 810 is on my wish list.

Campybob, spot on, my last convo with the dude at the shop was along the lines of "I don't really see why I should pay full price to be a crash test dummy for Garmin" alenator, I agree, I was wondering more generally if people have these sorts of issues with Garmin's. The two guys i ride with have been using them for a few years and never do anything other than switch them on an off, they've had no problems at all.

"Full price" is what's kept me from pulling the trigger on an 810. That, and the realistic expectation of software upgrades, firmware upgrades, warranty exchanges and stifling a desire to see how many rounds of .45 ACP it takes to reduce the malfunctioning POS to an unrecognizeable pile of smoldering breadboard, resistors and a moaning "Recalibrating!" voice.

Weird that the 500's were so reliable...and on sale in December for give away prices.

Good luck, OP and I hope Garmin gives you a new unit. Please keep us posted.

Update: Garmin replaced he whole kit and caboodle. I let the guys at the bike shop fit it up for me so there could be no idiot factor excuses. Did a 55 km ride on Saturday morning and it worked perfectly, even in the wind and rain. I did notice that it automatically picked up both HRM and cadence/speed sensors instantaneously, something the previous unti was having trouble doing. So fingers crosed, must have just been that one:eek:ne thousand troublesome unit.

Will keep you posted.

jondor58 said:
Update:  Garmin replaced he whole kit and caboodle.  I let the guys at the bike shop fit it up for me so there could be no idiot factor excuses.  Did a 55 km ride on Saturday morning and it worked perfectly, even in the wind and rain.  I did notice that it automatically picked up both HRM and cadence/speed sensors instantaneously, something the previous unti was having trouble doing.  So fingers crosed, must have just been that one:eek:ne thousand troublesome unit. Will keep you posted.
You asked about anyone having issues with Garmins in general. I've had zero issues with my Garmin 705 over the course of about 4 years.

jondor58 said:
Update:  Garmin replaced he whole kit and caboodle.  I let the guys at the bike shop fit it up for me so there could be no idiot factor excuses.  Did a 55 km ride on Saturday morning and it worked perfectly, even in the wind and rain.  I did notice that it automatically picked up both HRM and cadence/speed sensors instantaneously, something the previous unti was having trouble doing.  So fingers crosed, must have just been that one:eek:ne thousand troublesome unit. Will keep you posted.
You asked about anyone having issues with Garmins in general. I've had zero issues with my Garmin 705 over the course of about 4 years.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Update: Garmin replaced the entire unti. I've used it about 5 times and it hasn't missed a beat. Woks great (so far) and very happy with it. Only exception being it recorded my max speed at 144.4 kmh on my last ride. Im fairly sure I didn't go over abou 56.

Hi,

Just so you know.
the problem you are describing happened to me and to another friend with the garmin 510.
the first time it happened i dismissed it but then it happened on another ride. I took it to the shop and they gave me a new device without asking any questions.
was working fine for a while but today it happened again - all ANT based sensors die at the same second and searching again is not working. all other non ANT data keeps working fine.
I think they have an issue with the software or hardware on these. I called Garmin today but they had me run some stupid reset to the device (which I used 10 times tops...). Other than that they did not acknowledge the issue.
I might be returning this thing and going back to the 500 - I need my data available (power, cadence, HR).

Thanks,

Shai

I have had the exact same thing happen to my 510. Both times now in the exact same place and with the same rider who was using my old 500 who never had a problem?? open to suggestions??

One of my friends also experienced this with his 510. I rid his bike and at the end of the ride it said the max speed was somewhere around 250km/h or so. It also had problems with the heart rate sensors, so we went to a local shop and explained the problem. The guy at the counter came up with the excuse that it is quite new and it is still developing (which is quite plausible though) and we got another Garmin 510 immediately. I guess time will solve all the problems as they continue to do research on it.

Purchased 510 in March, had problems with speed/cadence sensor, replaced by Garmin, have just started using HR monitor perhaps 4 weeks ago and now it is going haywire. Usually it shows really high HRs at the start, settles, and then throws in occasional very high HRs, up to 180, but today it ranged between 160 and 250 bpms, have returned it to shop but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues - contact points were moist, standard wearing position. Thanks for any comments, am considering it an unfortunate purchase.

Things to consider:
  1. What kind of jersey/shirt are you wearing? Certain fabrics and a loose fit can generate enough static charge to play havoc with HRM readings.
  2. What are you moistening the contacts with? Tap water can work, but saliva or EKG conducting gel work much better.
  3. When was the last time you washed the HRM strap? A dirty strap can give incorrect readings
  4. Is you strap tight enough?
  5. Have you checked the strap's batteries?
  6. It's probably not this, but dehydration reduces the conductivity of skin.
IMHO, the latest generation of Garmin straps is much better than previous generations. I've not experienced any issues with mine, and in general people seem to be happy with 'em.

Alienator Thanks for prompt response. Sorry about previous dud responses from me. Standard jersey 100 per cent polyester. Use spit for contacts. Strap is new, clean, only been used say 10 times Strap is firm on chest, contact points flat. Would hope that battery is ok, as little use, but obviously don't know how old before purchase. Consider battery issue to be shop/ Garmin issue as it had had very limited use since purchase. My disappointment is based on being an early purchaser of the unit, and am just a bit frustrated. Garmin and shop did promptly diagnose and replace problem with speed/cadence sensor, so happy enough there but would be even happier if there had been no problems. Thanks

I'm following this with interest as I'm considering my first cycling GPS, and the 510 is what I'm considering.

You're likely already aware of the initial calibration requirement, but just in case: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={df7142e0-ea50-11e0-73d0-000000000000}

The link doesn't seem to work properly, so here's the text:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Edge 810, 800 and 510 calculate elevation data using a barometric altimeter. Once the device is properly calibrated, the standard area of accuracy will be +/- 10 feet. To ensure that elevation data is accurate at the beginning of an activity, calibrate the elevation manually.
To calibrate the elevation manually:
  1. Touch Setup menu (tools icon) on Main menu
  2. Touch System
  3. Touch GPS
  4. Select Set Elevation
  5. Set elevation to known elevation of starting point
  6. Select check mark
The elevation will then be calibrated from this manually set elevation.
The barometric altimeter is not temperature compensated. Temperature changes in the measuring device will affect the barometric pressure sensor and altimeter readings.