Garmin 705

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Anyone using one? If so, what does you think of it?

Does the 705 use the speed sensor to measure distance, or does it use GPS data?

If it is like the 305 in that aspect, it is my understanding and experience that while the GPS is on and picking up a signal that will override the speed sensor. If you opt to turn off the GPS while indoors on the trainer or outdoors (your choice) the computer then uses the speed/cadence sensor.

I bought a speed/cadence sensor thinking that it would correct the speed if the GPS was not reading correctly, but I found out on one particular path that I use that has heavy tree canopy that it does not work like that.

For instance the signal is not as clear and under those sections the speed drops and I know this to be true since I have two computers on my bike. The other being a Powertap. The PM computer may read 18 mph, but the Garmin will drop to something like 14 mph and once I come out from under the tree canopy it will jump back up to match the other computer. Now it does seem to correct itself at the end and will match overall speed average.

Again, not sure if the 705 is exactly the same, but it would be my guess that it is. I have a few friends with the 705 and the display is very clear even in very bright sunlight, which I thought was one amazing aspect, but those people only use about 10% of the capability of the computer. I use about 80% because I will preload the group route if it is available. It was handy when I flatted on Saturday and the group left me because I was able to easily get back to the car on unfamiliar roads.

alienator said:
Anyone using one? If so, what does you think of it?

Does the 705 use the speed sensor to measure distance, or does it use GPS data?
Yes, I have one and have been using it for a couple of months now. It is really rather good. I especially like the "find the way home feature". It's a little bulkier than a 305.

It measures speed in different ways, depending on how you use it. It can use the GPS data on its own, or if you have the cadence/speed sensor set up, it uses that.

GPS speed is good enough for me, except in areas of shadow, such as tall buildings, in the woods if it's been raining.

The speed from the sensor, by default, is calibrated via the GPS data and is really very accurate on the road, but on the trails, well, nothing works that good on the trails.

Saying that though, speed is not that important to me. I'm more interested in cadence, and it is good there.

The device can handle three bikes, and actually I have three bikes with a sensor on and the unit understands them all, and warns me if I've set the unit up to collect for the wrong bike. It says something about a wrong sensor or incompatible sensor. One of the annoyances from the 305 was if the sensor was not quite right you wouldn't know, on the 705 it comes up as soon as you switch it on and move the bike, saying it has detected the HRM, and then the cadence.

You have to hold the power button on for a little too long to switch it on and off. It's an annoying feeling if you've had a 305 because it makes like the feel of when a 305 has crashed, and then it beeps and it's working, and you're like ugh.

On races etc. I put the collected data up on the MotionBased website, so people might laugh at my inability to stay upright. I've also put a few nice rides up from my holidays.

The upload software is annoying for me as I tend to do longer rides. It has problems if you've been away from an internet connection for a few days, so I have to upload the rides in ones and twos.

So you had a 305 previous? If so, do you like the 7 better? Why?

threaded said:
Yes, I have one and have been using it for a couple of months now. It is really rather good. I especially like the "find the way home feature". It's a little bulkier than a 305.

It measures speed in different ways, depending on how you use it. It can use the GPS data on its own, or if you have the cadence/speed sensor set up, it uses that.

GPS speed is good enough for me, except in areas of shadow, such as tall buildings, in the woods if it's been raining.

The speed from the sensor, by default, is calibrated via the GPS data and is really very accurate on the road, but on the trails, well, nothing works that good on the trails.

Saying that though, speed is not that important to me. I'm more interested in cadence, and it is good there.

The device can handle three bikes, and actually I have three bikes with a sensor on and the unit understands them all, and warns me if I've set the unit up to collect for the wrong bike. It says something about a wrong sensor or incompatible sensor. One of the annoyances from the 305 was if the sensor was not quite right you wouldn't know, on the 705 it comes up as soon as you switch it on and move the bike, saying it has detected the HRM, and then the cadence.

You have to hold the power button on for a little too long to switch it on and off. It's an annoying feeling if you've had a 305 because it makes like the feel of when a 305 has crashed, and then it beeps and it's working, and you're like ugh.

On races etc. I put the collected data up on the MotionBased website, so people might laugh at my inability to stay upright. I've also put a few nice rides up from my holidays.

The upload software is annoying for me as I tend to do longer rides. It has problems if you've been away from an internet connection for a few days, so I have to upload the rides in ones and twos.

azdroptop said:
So you had a 305 previous? If so, do you like the 7 better? Why?
With the 705 I can ask it to take me to an address and I can then just follow the map. The navigation is a little annoying in that it keeps you away from main roads, which is good as in most other countries you wouldn't want to be on busy roads, but here the main roads have cycle paths, and it's the minor roads you'd tend to avoid. I have a full map memory card, it doesn't have cycle paths on it. But it is fun all the same, takes me ways I wouldn't normally try.

I got a 705 as I broke my old 305. Sent the 305 off to be repaired, and lo, they sent me a brand new one.

The one thing I like most in the 705 is the navigation, also it has a better 'feel' when you're using it.

Thanks for the reply. I have used my 305 just a little for navigation and a little geocaching, but it's mainly a bike tool for me. So other than the navi, features wise, there isn't a huge difference it sounds. Color screen, and a power option?

Rick

threaded said:
With the 705 I can ask it to take me to an address and I can then just follow the map. The navigation is a little annoying in that it keeps you away from main roads, which is good as in most other countries you wouldn't want to be on busy roads, but here the main roads have cycle paths, and it's the minor roads you'd tend to avoid. I have a full map memory card, it doesn't have cycle paths on it. But it is fun all the same, takes me ways I wouldn't normally try.

I got a 705 as I broke my old 305. Sent the 305 off to be repaired, and lo, they sent me a brand new one.

The one thing I like most in the 705 is the navigation, also it has a better 'feel' when you're using it.

threaded said:
Garmin has great customer service. A freind of mine accidentally left her 305 in her jacket pocket and washed it. She called them and admitted what she had done and they had her send it back to them so that they could estimate repairs. They then sent her a brand new unit and covered it under warranty:). I don't need anything that fancy for the riding that I do, but if I did, I would definitely get a Garmin.

kdelong said:
Garmin has great customer service. A freind of mine accidentally left her 305 in her jacket pocket and washed it. She called them and admitted what she had done and they had her send it back to them so that they could estimate repairs. They then sent her a brand new unit and covered it under warranty:). I don't need anything that fancy for the riding that I do, but if I did, I would definitely get a Garmin.
:D Yes, I must also say how great the customer service is at Garmin. :D I threw the entire bike of the edge of a cliff to break the 305, also broke a video camera, etc. etc.. Sent the various things off to the respective companies in one morning at the post office.

I had a brand new Garmin 305 in front of me, under warranty, i.e. no charge, :D before I even got an email from the video camera company saying they'd received the camera (and seeing as both are on the same industrial estate that is quite surprising) I'm still waiting for further communication from the video camera company and it's a couple or so months now!

May need to sticky this post till another model comes out. I'm going to be looking for info on the 705 for a couple of months till I figure it all out. I'm sure there will be plenty of others like me with similar stupid questions.

Question: 1-3) I put the micro SD 1GB in and dragged a Map Source file I had made onto the card. How do I get the 705 to find the file? Or is the Micro SD for other uses? What uses?

Question 4: When setting up the 705 for the 1st time I was 400km from home so didn't set a 'HOME' point. Then when I did get home and tried to register my home as HOME it said HOME already exists. But I don't know where it exists and therefore can't erase it. I didn't set a HOME.

I bought a map online that has Japan in English (where I am) and it works great. I'm guessing I can make 'mapmyride' files that will gel with the map software on my unit? Or will they over-ride it and act as independent maps?

Having fun with it all and working most of it all out by trial and error but also losing lots of good data on rides as I wasn't using the unit properly. I wish there was a pause button along with the Stop/Start button. I did a 100km ride, stopped for lunch and stopped the 705 as well. Then I started my ride home but forgot to START again till I'd gone about 20kms. :mad:

I have a POLAR as well that I still like using but I guess the Garmin is going to win out in the long run.

Can someone comment on the many complaints from disgruntled users on trouble with their 705s? Seems that Garmin has good customer service for a reason... :eek:

Figured out that it actually has an auto pause when you stop yesterday, so that's one thing down. Don't need a button to push.

Took it jogging this morning and uploaded to Garmin Training center. Was very easy to change it from a cycling file to a running file.
Not sure if you can do that on the unit before you start out.

threaded said:

Am I understanding correctly that you have to buy the maps separate for the 705?

Powerful Pete said:
Can someone comment on the many complaints from disgruntled users on trouble with their 705s? Seems that Garmin has good customer service for a reason... :eek:

Using satellites to figure out speed, altitude gained or lost and distance on a bicycle seems like a really complicated(and expensive) answer to a simple question. I think a simple computer and a 2 dimensional map is a better idea, IMO.

Fujiman said:
Am I understanding correctly that you have to buy the maps separate for the 705?
Map updates, yes. Usually the unit comes with the appropriate maps loaded in at no extra charge. You might have to buy maps if you purchase a Garmin in the US and take it to Austrailia or Europe.