Garmin 800 thoughts and opinions?

mark174ace

May 8, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking to possibly buy a Garmin 800 in the Spring and was looking for some feedback. The main reason I am looking to buy this unit is because of the directional and mapping ability. Plenty of cheaper devices could just measure speed, distance, and cadence, but I want more than that. This device especially appeals to me because you can download routes posted by other riders and also be able to ride freely without getting lost haha.

If I got lost I realize I could just put in my address and it would give you turn by turn directions, but I was wondering if this device records or remembers where you were during the ride so you could just turn around and go back exactly the way you came?

Also after you get home can you create a route based on where you just were, or can you just save it on the device? I am a complete novice on how these GPS devices work so I want to make sure I know what they can and cannot do before I buy the anything.

Sometimes I like to be a space cadet on my bike and just ride :)

I bought my first road bike last May and logged 1,700 miles for the season May-Oct. I am going to have a lot more free time this summer so I plan on destroying that number!

garmin series 510 & 810 are coming up soon including extra benefits like bluetooth connection between the unit and your smartphone, i saw the commercial add, potential new features are beyond your imagination, or at least what we thought possible a decade ago, its really internet + mobile phones + cycling computers all coming together !

Since the Garmin 810 is coming out, now and the next couple of months will be a good time to buy a Garmin 800. The only thing the 810 really adds is social media connectivity and the like.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Since the Garmin 810 is coming out, now and the next couple of months will be a good time to buy a Garmin 800. The only thing the 810 really adds is social media connectivity and the like.
Not really it also has

Live Tracking
Blue Tooth
Activity Profiles

Originally Posted by mark174ace .

Hello all,

I am looking to possibly buy a Garmin 800 in the Spring and was looking for some feedback. The main reason I am looking to buy this unit is because of the directional and mapping ability. Plenty of cheaper devices could just measure speed, distance, and cadence, but I want more than that. This device especially appeals to me because you can download routes posted by other riders and also be able to ride freely without getting lost haha.

[COLOR= #ff0000]I have this unit, but by no means an expert with, so go over here to this forum and you should find lots of answers. [/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?245-Edge-800[/COLOR]

If I got lost I realize I could just put in my address and it would give you turn by turn directions, but I was wondering if this device records or remembers where you were during the ride so you could just turn around and go back exactly the way you came?

[COLOR= #ff0000][SIZE= 10pt]You can mark your spot on the map in order to make a return trip. For example. If I drive to riding spot, I can mark that spot and it can route me back if need be.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Also after you get home can you create a route based on where you just were, or can you just save it on the device? I am a complete novice on how these GPS devices work so I want to make sure I know what they can and cannot do before I buy the anything.

[COLOR= #ff0000]I think you can make a route out of it. I have not done this, but I have downloaded routes from those route mapping sites. You can also download other folks routes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0000]You need to buy a minisd card (unless you use garmin's) and your rides will be saved to this card. You then upload the ride to Garmin's site or one of the route mapping site (mapmyride etc.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0000][SIZE= 10pt]Garmin beats you on the maps in my opinion. From my research, folks complained that the maps loaded on the 800 were already outdated and it could not be updated, you had to purchase an update. If I recall correctly there's something about the ability to update the maps only when you purchase a DVD or micromini card, so if you go the garmin map route, you need to make sure you get the correct one so that you can update the maps. For these reasons, I went with the standard 800 and used the Open Source Maps out there and they have very detailed street mappings and they are free. I purchased an 8gb card and loaded the maps.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sometimes I like to be a space cadet on my bike and just ride :)

I bought my first road bike last May and logged 1,700 miles for the season May-Oct. I am going to have a lot more free time this summer so I plan on destroying that number!
If you decide to buy the Garmin 800, go through Mr. Rebates and get cash back for the purchase.

i disagree here, there are gonna be a myriad of new app's in the coming future, having said that im not planning on buying a smartphone, its not really for my lifestyle and taste, but if the bluetooth stuff connects to my PC then im onboard, however i wouldn't invest in a new bicycle computer unless i buy a powermeter first,

I am not sure the social apps on the 810 are a good idea particularly if no-one is at home when your riding. I consider it a security risk and I have also heard of cases where posting im on holiday on FB invalidated insurance so I would not be keen on social functions. The 800 is considerably cheaper and yes it does all of the functions you require.

even if you like it or not you are most of the time in the grid, and yes it can be a new tool for burglars

"I consider it a security risk and I have also heard of cases where posting im on holiday on FB invalidated insurance so I would not be keen on social functions."

Great point!

I take it some or all of Twit/Facebook functions can be disabled thru settings? Nothing like broadcasting your position...

CAMPYBOB said:
"I consider it a security risk and I have also heard of cases where posting im on holiday on FB invalidated insurance so I would not be keen on social functions." Great point! I take it some or all of Twit/Facebook functions can be disabled thru settings? Nothing like broadcasting your position...
there are so many options on FB, not easy to configure, sometimes information goes online without your consent, like "john was in seattle", "john checked in at the airport", "john is having coffee on starbucks"... and so on,

Got mine for $360 from Wiggle (EDGE 800 performance package WITH Cadence & HRM included) plus $8 for a silicon protective skin. It arrived in 7 days with Free Postage.

This was better than the best price I could find anywhere on eBay- or anywhere else. The only thing missing was AUS maps which you can find yourself with a little effort.

I added AUS Maps (City Navigator, Topo and open source which I had placed on a MicroSD 8GB card). The unit had no problem with any of these.

It's working perfectly and I'm glad I splurged on it.

A site called TRAMSOFT GmbH has an excellent comparison of the Garmin units and description of the features of each.

(I actually printed off the 800 details as they are easier to follow than the manual!)