Garmin Bike computer vs Iphone base ANT+ Bike computer?

BikerM

Apr 16, 2011
I see a lot of folks recommending the Garmin Edge series bike computer, they are definitely awesome but the cost is not...

Anyone uses a Iphone base ANT+ bike computer? One can get a ANT+ adapter for iphone for little as $50.... Apps is like $10. You will also need a speed/cadence sensor I suppose...

What's everyone's take?

I have actually order myself a Garmin Edge 500, but thought I need to ask the question...

The obvious thing is that the Garmin is way lighter and less bulky, I have yet to see anyone who races have an iphone on their bike. If I was a complete recreational cyclist and just did tours, I would consider the iphone because I typically take a phone on most rides. Cost wise, I just have a regular cell phone and refuse to conform, so I would need to pay for a on line package ($50 a month) and you would need an iphone specific mount, which depending on what you go with that will run you at least $50, add in the speed sensor ($50), and the HR monitor ($50)..... For me at least in the long run the Garmin package with everything is going to be less expensive, plus I race, so nothing larger than a Garmin will be mounted to my bike..

The battery charge duration of a phone used as a bike computer head (w/ ANT+ receiving) will be less, possibly significantly less than the battery charge duration of a dedicated bike computer. It's possible the GPS data for the phone could be less accurate than the computer, and it's also possible that the phone, if mounted on the bike, might be exposed to more potential for crash damage than if it's carried on your person. It's up to you to decide if any of those factors is important.

Battery life for an iPhone 4 running MotionX GPS (no ANT+ adapter) is about 4 hours. That's with the screen brightness turned all the way up and WiFi turned off. Also, a mount (I'm using the mount I bought for my iPhone 3G--it works, and it's actually hard to remove the iPhone 4). This is all personal experience over the last year or so (I got the iPhone 4 shortly after it came out, and used a 3G while riding for a few months before that).

When I go on longer rides, I tuck a 14.4V cordless drill battery into my wedge pack, then alligator clip leads for a 12V receptacle onto the battery, then run a car charger cord to the iPhone along the top tube. It probably adds a little over a pound, but I can track 3-4 days worth of riding (probably 20-25 hours worth) off the cordless battery then. I also have the phone mount on a bar extender off my handlebars so that it's closer to my line of sight--I don't have to look down as far to see it.

The biggest drawback to the MotionX app is that the altitude isn't all that accurate--when the start and stop points are the same, it can show a difference of 50-60 feet in elevation, and total climb and total descent don't match.

These are good point, glad I place my order~! The price is definitely not good at $399cad~ oh way...

Note that you can save some money by not buying Garmin maps and instead using free maps, such as those that are available at Open Street Map. The Open Street Map for my area actually has better detail than Garmin's City Navigator.

I've been using Endomondo on my Blackberry and not had any problems at all. Used it for 5 hours yesterday and didn't even use a 1/4 of the battery. I'm sure I'll upgrade to a Garmin in good time but I'd definitely recommend endomondo for novices.

http://www.endomondo.com

I have actually just cancel my order of Garmin Edge 500 with HR sensor, etc... For $79 and apps fee, I can get a Wahoo ANT+ sensor that will work for all apps!

Just keep in mind that GPS elevations (what's available on a phone) are inaccurate, and it's possible that position data will be less accurate.

I've just recently gotten the Wahoo/iPhone combo on my bike. For comparison, I'm coming to Ant+ having been a Polar user - I love the fact that a single small Ant+ sensor by my pedal can pull both speed and cadence off the back wheel (good for being on a trainer), is replacing two larger Polar sensors, and has longer range.

I'm pulling the signals into an iPhone 4S using the wahoo case and handlebar mount. I run with the phone in the same case in a back pocket. Battery life isn't fantastic (3 hours or so - prob more with wifi off - wish there was a way to kill all the radios but the gps) but there's an expansion battery pack you can get, and I like jpr95's suggestion - might have to try that for centurys, etc.

The part where this combo shines: throw on a set of bluetooth headphones. Now you have music for motivation. Many of the fitness apps (I'm using MapMyFitness+, but I've also used and like Cyclemeter) can be set to reduce volume on the music and report stats to you verbally on triggers like distance, time, volume button press, etc. If like me you're someone who is motivated to work out by tracking what you've done, you can't ask for more than what many apps do - maps, cadence, heart rate info, distance - all kept on the bike and online. Use the screen to look back at previous workouts, share ridemaps with others, compete against your own previous times, etc.

Kinda great, especially considering I normally would ride with the phone on me for emergencies anyway. So basically I've gained loads of functionality while removing two older and larger sensors and a watch from the bike.

The cons: Battery life could be longer. The iphone is a big thing to have mounted on the handlebars, no arguing that (I'm considering an ant+ computer like the Node 1 to supplement the phone and move the phone to the jersey pocket.)

Also for what its worth, a friend I've ridden with has a similar setup with an android phone, and he's able to disable all radios except the GPS, which would extend battery life quite a bit. (And you may be able to do that after rooting the iphone, but that's not an option for me.)

Keep the rubber side down,
-Tim

VTTimC said:
I've just recently gotten the Wahoo/iPhone combo on my bike. For comparison, I'm coming to Ant+ having been a Polar user - I love the fact that a single small Ant+ sensor by my pedal can pull both speed and cadence off the back wheel (good for being on a trainer), is replacing two larger Polar sensors, and has longer range.
I'm pulling the signals into an iPhone 4S using the wahoo case and handlebar mount. I run with the phone in the same case in a back pocket. Battery life isn't fantastic (3 hours or so - prob more with wifi off - wish there was a way to kill all the radios but the gps) but there's an expansion battery pack you can get, and I like jpr95's suggestion - might have to try that for centurys, etc.
The part where this combo shines: throw on a set of bluetooth headphones. Now you have music for motivation. Many of the fitness apps (I'm using MapMyFitness+, but I've also used and like Cyclemeter) can be set to reduce volume on the music and report stats to you verbally on triggers like distance, time, volume button press, etc. If like me you're someone who is motivated to work out by tracking what you've done, you can't ask for more than what many apps do - maps, cadence, heart rate info, distance - all kept on the bike and online. Use the screen to look back at previous workouts, share ridemaps with others, compete against your own previous times, etc.
Kinda great, especially considering I normally would ride with the phone on me for emergencies anyway. So basically I've gained loads of functionality while removing two older and larger sensors and a watch from the bike.
The cons: Battery life could be longer. The iphone is a big thing to have mounted on the handlebars, no arguing that (I'm considering an ant+ computer like the Node 1 to supplement the phone and move the phone to the jersey pocket.)
Also for what its worth, a friend I've ridden with has a similar setup with an android phone, and he's able to disable all radios except the GPS, which would extend battery life quite a bit. (And you may be able to do that after rooting the iphone, but that's not an option for me.)
Keep the rubber side down,
-Tim
It's a sad day when you need music for motivation to ride outdoors. Sad.

Sounds like an awesome setup.

With the headphones on and the music playing at your typical sound level, how well are you able to hear traffic approaching? Do you use mirror?

Quote: [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It's a sad day when you need music for motivation to ride outdoors. Sad.[/COLOR]

Oh come on - if you don't have any music that helps you push extra hard, you need new music. I had a song going the other day that was so good, I was just about dancing while I stomped on the pedals.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Sounds like an awesome setup.

With the headphones on and the music playing at your typical sound level, how well are you able to hear traffic approaching? Do you use mirror?

I only put the non-traffic headphone in, so its not a problem at all, actually. No, I don't use a mirror. The workout headphones I swear by are in-ear type, so having them both in cuts off most sound - not the best plan. For running, especially on the local bikepath, they're both in.

VTTimC said:

Oh come on - if you don't have any music that helps you push extra hard, you need new music.  I had a song going the other day that was so good, I was just about dancing while I stomped on the pedals.
No, you missed the point: it's sad to need music at all to push things on a bike. After all, if your motivation is that weak.......