Garmin Edge 305 data transfer problem

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
I have recently purchased an Edge 305 bundle with HR and cadence and I am having problems transferring data from the unit to the Training Centre software. When I tclick 'Receive History' in TC, the following error message appears;

'There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device'.

The USB cable is connected and the device is turned on. The device also has the message 'Transfer Complete' appearing on it.

Two interesting things to note;

1) The courses I save on the unit do appear in TC under 'Courses'!! That's very strange

2) There doesn't seem to be any problem in transferring info from the PC to the unit because I have already performed firmware updates.

So in a nutshell I seem to be having problems transfering the 'History' from the unit to TC software. Any ideas?

sergen said:
I have recently purchased an Edge 305 bundle with HR and cadence and I am having problems transferring data from the unit to the Training Centre software. When I tclick 'Receive History' in TC, the following error message appears;

'There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device'.

The USB cable is connected and the device is turned on. The device also has the message 'Transfer Complete' appearing on it.

Two interesting things to note;

1) The courses I save on the unit do appear in TC under 'Courses'!! That's very strange

2) There doesn't seem to be any problem in transferring info from the PC to the unit because I have already performed firmware updates.

So in a nutshell I seem to be having problems transfering the 'History' from the unit to TC software. Any ideas?

I would give Garmin a call. My history transfers automatically when I hook up the unit to the USB cable. Sounds like their is a software issue.

I get this message about half the time with my 205. Garmin's software support for data transfer is a little clunky. If this happens, close the dialog box and try it again by clicking on the download icon, no need to disconnect/reconnect the usb cable. When my unit is being cranky it may error out 5 or 6 times in a row. Just ignore it and persevere and also, keep *****ing to Garmin. Maybe they'll debug this.

fleshbroiler said:
I get this message about half the time with my 205. Garmin's software support for data transfer is a little clunky. If this happens, close the dialog box and try it again by clicking on the download icon, no need to disconnect/reconnect the usb cable. When my unit is being cranky it may error out 5 or 6 times in a row. Just ignore it and persevere and also, keep *****ing to Garmin. Maybe they'll debug this.
Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work. I phoned Garmin (the website is buggy, too, else I would have E-mailed them) and they narrowed it down to a bug revealed by a course that I had loaded into the device. I deleted the course from the device and it started working again.

danorton said:
Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work. ...Garmin narrowed it down to a bug revealed by a course that I had loaded into the device. I deleted the course from the device and it started working again.
Thanks for letting me know. I haven't run across that yet. In case you notice accuracy issues with speed and distance, check out this thread; http://www.cyclingforums.com/t421747.html

I had this problem for a while. But windows offerd me a driver to download. I did this and that was the end of the problem...