Garmin Edge 305 & Polar S725X

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Hey, I have been reading about both computer. I'm interested in what people respond between the two. What i am looking for is in term of functionality of both computers.

Well I misplaced (aka. lost:D) my CS200cad (the unit), but having looked all over the house but it still won't appear.

My wife has the Edge 305 and I use the S725i. Having installed and used both, I find the Garmin has the edge (pun intended) as they both give you the same information and the garmin will map out your course as well. Both provide PC software and while I like the Garmin software in some ways, I think the Polar software gives you a little more from a training perspective and may be better if you want software that will function as a multi-sport training log as well. If you are a triathlete, then the Polar may be a better way to go as you can wear it more easily.

All in all, both are very similar functionality-wise and I suspect you wouldn't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps.

I am curious now, anyone know if Garmin will have the new version of Edge 305 soon?

The one thing I prefer with the Polar is the new type of chest strap they have. The more flexible material one is much more comfortable than the older half plastic model. I get no rash from the new one. I think though from what I read you can use a Polar coded sensor with some of the new products out there like PowerTap, SRM etc. Not sure about Garmin though. The HRM sensor is what kept me away from most of those products.

mysrh said:
Hey, I have been reading about both computer. I'm interested in what people respond between the two. What i am looking for is in term of functionality of both computers.

Well I misplaced (aka. lost:D) my CS200cad (the unit), but having looked all over the house but it still won't appear.
I got the Garmin Edge 3 weeks ago. Love it. Great training tool, does it all. Not a bad navigation tool, more memory would be good so that it can store maps. But you can download a course to follow, so if you're planning a ride, it works very well.

thanks, people. What matters now is that for me a bike computer is a real great motivator, there're numbers to indicate my performance. And I just lost my CS200 at my own house, meaning it maybe still around to be found.

But then I think to get a new one anyway, and I do put a lot of interest in Garmin Edge, but heard rumour that a new version would be out. SoI am pondering if I should get a cheap computer and wait (God knows how long) for the new version, or I just get the Garmin Edge 305 now. Unfortunately, the cheapest wireless computer is around the high $90, and for a temporary computer, it's not considered cheap.