Garmin Edge 305 Problems- Did I buy too early?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by daworldwide, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. daworldwide

    daworldwide Guest

    Thought I'd post a message about my brand new Garmin Edge 305. After
    it's second use, where I had only tested it outside to dump test data
    to the Training Center software, immediately after the second dump, my
    Edge 305 is dead. All I did was pull the USB cable out because I was
    done transferring data, and now it won't even turn on. Nothing. It
    had a full battery charge, but even connecting it to the charger
    doesn't seem to help.

    The unit SEEMS nice, and I have been a Garmin consumer for years for
    car, boat and aircraft, but I'm wondering about this unit for other
    reasons, beyond the current problem...

    1. It is smaller than you see in the ads. Still nice, but for
    $400.00...
    2. Garmin needs to actually spend time in engineering rubber port
    flaps. All their products have CRAPPY port covers- the Edge 305 is no
    exception.
    3. The battery for the Edge itself is NOT user replacable. Only the
    battery for the heart monitor strap is. The Edge 305 itself has a
    built in lithium ion that will someday need replacing/render the use of
    it impossible. THAT is a BAD design in the year 2006.

    I REALLY like(d) my brand new Edge 305- now I REALLY can't wait to get
    it fixed so I can actually use it.

    Be cautious...

    DA

    Tags:

  2. peter

    peter Guest

    daworldwide wrote:
    > All I did was pull the USB cable out because I was
    > done transferring data, and now it won't even turn on. Nothing. It
    > had a full battery charge, but even connecting it to the charger
    > doesn't seem to help.

    Sorry to hear that. Garmin has a good reputation for customer service
    so they should get a working unit back to you quickly.

    > The unit SEEMS nice, and I have been a Garmin consumer for years for
    > car, boat and aircraft, but I'm wondering about this unit for other
    > reasons, beyond the current problem...
    >
    > 1. It is smaller than you see in the ads. Still nice, but for
    > $400.00...
    > 2. Garmin needs to actually spend time in engineering rubber port
    > flaps. All their products have CRAPPY port covers- the Edge 305 is no
    > exception.

    On the Garmins I've had the rubber flaps are really just dust covers
    since there isn't any entry point for water even if it gets past the
    flap. Is this different on the 305?

    > 3. The battery for the Edge itself is NOT user replacable. Only the
    > battery for the heart monitor strap is. The Edge 305 itself has a
    > built in lithium ion that will someday need replacing/render the use of
    > it impossible. THAT is a BAD design in the year 2006.

    Agreed, and to me this is a disqualifying part of the design all by
    itself. I normally keep electronic gadgets far longer than most
    batteries last. And the nominal 12 hour life/charge isn't even
    adequate for a long day ride, much less an extended tour. I'd also
    expect the life/charge to deteriorate later in the lithium cells life.

    > I REALLY like(d) my brand new Edge 305- now I REALLY can't wait to get
    > it fixed so I can actually use it.

    To me it lacks the main feature that I like about using a GPS on my
    bike rides - the ability to see exactly where I am on a map, alternate
    routes I could take, places nearby, etc. What did you find the 305
    provided that more conventional cyclometers don't?

  3. Skippy

    Skippy Guest

    "daworldwide" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thought I'd post a message about my brand new Garmin Edge 305. After
    > it's second use, where I had only tested it outside to dump test data
    > to the Training Center software, immediately after the second dump, my
    > Edge 305 is dead. All I did was pull the USB cable out because I was
    > done transferring data, and now it won't even turn on. Nothing. It
    > had a full battery charge, but even connecting it to the charger
    > doesn't seem to help.
    >
    > The unit SEEMS nice, and I have been a Garmin consumer for years for
    > car, boat and aircraft, but I'm wondering about this unit for other
    > reasons, beyond the current problem...
    >
    > 1. It is smaller than you see in the ads. Still nice, but for
    > $400.00...
    > 2. Garmin needs to actually spend time in engineering rubber port
    > flaps. All their products have CRAPPY port covers- the Edge 305 is no
    > exception.
    > 3. The battery for the Edge itself is NOT user replacable. Only the
    > battery for the heart monitor strap is. The Edge 305 itself has a
    > built in lithium ion that will someday need replacing/render the use of
    > it impossible. THAT is a BAD design in the year 2006.
    >
    > I REALLY like(d) my brand new Edge 305- now I REALLY can't wait to get
    > it fixed so I can actually use it.
    >
    > Be cautious...
    >
    > DA

    The internal battery is a good/bad thing. On the plus side, the unit can be
    made smaller and more easily sealed. On the minus side, you can't just swap
    it out when it's flat or its capacity has deteriorated. It doesn't seem to
    have prevented Apple from selling the odd iPod or two!

    I had been looking at the 305 for mountain bike and TTs (Navigation for
    off-road, HR, speed and distance for TTs, logging for both) But it's a lot
    of money to integrate all the nice functions in one box.

    Skippy.

  4. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    Press mode, reset and power at the same time or mode and reset together and
    then power-- I was fumbling around when I did it to mine so I am not sure on
    the button sequence. This should do a soft reset and bring your 305 back to
    life. I had the same issue, disconnected the usb and then nothing. I found
    the tip in the Edge forum @ motionbased.com. Hope this helps.

    Other than that glitch I am very happy with my 305.

    Steve

    "daworldwide" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thought I'd post a message about my brand new Garmin Edge 305. After
    > it's second use, where I had only tested it outside to dump test data
    > to the Training Center software, immediately after the second dump, my
    > Edge 305 is dead. All I did was pull the USB cable out because I was
    > done transferring data, and now it won't even turn on. Nothing. It
    > had a full battery charge, but even connecting it to the charger
    > doesn't seem to help.
    >
    > The unit SEEMS nice, and I have been a Garmin consumer for years for
    > car, boat and aircraft, but I'm wondering about this unit for other
    > reasons, beyond the current problem...
    >
    > 1. It is smaller than you see in the ads. Still nice, but for
    > $400.00...
    > 2. Garmin needs to actually spend time in engineering rubber port
    > flaps. All their products have CRAPPY port covers- the Edge 305 is no
    > exception.
    > 3. The battery for the Edge itself is NOT user replacable. Only the
    > battery for the heart monitor strap is. The Edge 305 itself has a
    > built in lithium ion that will someday need replacing/render the use of
    > it impossible. THAT is a BAD design in the year 2006.
    >
    > I REALLY like(d) my brand new Edge 305- now I REALLY can't wait to get
    > it fixed so I can actually use it.
    >
    > Be cautious...
    >
    > DA

  5. Mack

    Mack Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > Press mode, reset and power at the same time or mode and reset together and
    > then power-- I was fumbling around when I did it to mine so I am not sure on
    > the button sequence. This should do a soft reset and bring your 305 back to
    > life. I had the same issue, disconnected the usb and then nothing. I found
    > the tip in the Edge forum @ motionbased.com. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Other than that glitch I am very happy with my 305.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "daworldwide" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Thought I'd post a message about my brand new Garmin Edge 305. After
    > > it's second use, where I had only tested it outside to dump test data
    > > to the Training Center software, immediately after the second dump, my
    > > Edge 305 is dead. All I did was pull the USB cable out because I was
    > > done transferring data, and now it won't even turn on. Nothing. It
    > > had a full battery charge, but even connecting it to the charger
    > > doesn't seem to help.
    > >
    > > The unit SEEMS nice, and I have been a Garmin consumer for years for
    > > car, boat and aircraft, but I'm wondering about this unit for other
    > > reasons, beyond the current problem...
    > >
    > > 1. It is smaller than you see in the ads. Still nice, but for
    > > $400.00...
    > > 2. Garmin needs to actually spend time in engineering rubber port
    > > flaps. All their products have CRAPPY port covers- the Edge 305 is no
    > > exception.
    > > 3. The battery for the Edge itself is NOT user replacable. Only the
    > > battery for the heart monitor strap is. The Edge 305 itself has a
    > > built in lithium ion that will someday need replacing/render the use of
    > > it impossible. THAT is a BAD design in the year 2006.
    > >
    > > I REALLY like(d) my brand new Edge 305- now I REALLY can't wait to get
    > > it fixed so I can actually use it.
    > >
    > > Be cautious...
    > >
    > > DA

  6. Mack

    Mack Guest

    Thanx for the tip on reseting by pressing (power + mode + reset). I
    had the same problem of it powering on after the 2nd time of charging
    the unit.

    Also I've read that some peoples HR strap, the battery is in backwards
    and just needs to be turned around.

    Thanx again......now I need to learn this unit.

    Cheers,
    Mack

  7. Thanks for this Tip! I just purchased a Garmin Edge 305 today and had the
    very same problem. I was going to return it in the morning. Now I'll try
    your Reset Tip.
    Much Appreciated.
    *Jason. in Indy

    news:[email protected]