Garmin Edge 705 GPS

alicefred

Mar 22, 2010
Hello friends..

I am new to cycling world, recently got my first bike. Now I am looking to buy a new GPS and pretty much interested in Garmin Edge 705. I found this GPS at DealRocker.com. Does anyone have any experience with this GPS? I want expert opinions before any purchase.
I don't wanna spend such huge money in hurry.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.

It is a very nice cycling computer - you can use for many applications, including all the basics + mapping your rides, altitude graphs, and Ant+ integration with wireless powermeters in the future. I'd say the only drawback is that it is larger than the prior 305 series, but the color map display and Ant+ integration makes it a much more powerful device. Garmin makes solid products, so you're getting what you pay for.

The Garmin range are just about the best cycle computers and HR monitors. And the 705 is great at recording your route.

But don't ask it to direct you anywhere, it won't be able to keep up. And garmin's idea of anti-piracy technology for their software is to make it impossible to use.

As long as you don't need directions, you don't really need the maps either. Knowing that can save you some cash.

If I could buy a garmin now, I'd get the 500 series instead. Everything in the 705 except maps in a much smaller package.

If you are just after ride information during the ride (speed, HR, cadence, temperature, gradient, etc.) and analyzing the stats after the ride (including viewing the maps the routes you took) just get the Garmin Edge 500. It is cheaper than the 705, is smaller, lighter, and has an excellent mounting option.