Garmin Edge 705 & Powermeter



Phil S

New Member
Sep 14, 2003
21
0
0
Hi, I've had a search and can't find a topic devoted to this subject here so I thought I'd start one. Anyone using an Edge for their training with a powermeter? Is it reliable? Any gremlins you've discovered and how to work around them?
I myself am a PT SL2.4 user and I have acquired an Edge 705. Haven't yet shelled out for the ANT+ hub firmware upgrade but I am really tempted to do so... I love the mapping on the Garmin and have discovered some great new training routes thanks to it, plus have used it abroad. If it all worked sensibly with power then I would definitely shell out.
 

Felt_Rider

Active Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,257
27
48
I am curious as well and how smoothly the 705 works with WKO+ :)
I currently have too many gadgets on top of my bar.

I think by the time I can afford to consolidate into one device all the kinks will be worked out.

I need a gps because I don't pay attention to the roads while riding in a pack and on occasion when I get dropped the gps has helped me find my way back to the parking lot. :)
 

Meek One

New Member
May 5, 2004
629
0
0
Felt_Rider said:
I need a gps because I don't pay attention to the roads while riding in a pack and on occasion when I get dropped the gps has helped me find my way back to the parking lot. :)

Funny, perhaps true too. :D
 

tmctguer

New Member
Sep 9, 2003
201
0
0
i have a Edge 705 but do not use it for wireless power. i do use it for its GPS functionality on my single bikes, and on my tandem, i use the cadence function. i also have lots of stuff on my bars......on 1 of my bikes, i have a power tap computer, an ergomo computer, and the Edge. i've had other riders ask me if i was doing a comparison for a magazine !

I plan to use the .gpx files from the Garmin to create courses for my Computrainer via Topo USA Racermate. Have not tried it yet though.
 

Uhl

New Member
May 12, 2003
99
0
6

barrocycles

New Member
Dec 22, 2007
27
0
0
Sorry.... off topic.... Uhl, Big fan of your blog...Keep it up... Thanx....

Please resume discussing OP topic :)



Uhl said:
There has been discussion on this topic in the Wattage Google Group. You'll need to join the group to read messages, but it's not that hard. Just be sure to answer the three membership questions when you apply and you should be approved within 24 hours. Once you're in, please review the Wattage Group Guidelines.

Wattage Group home page:
http://groups.google.com/group/wattage

Garmin Edge 2.6 Firmware thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/wattage/browse_frm/thread/408b1a8ae8d8b1d8#
 

Uhl

New Member
May 12, 2003
99
0
6
barrocycles said:
Sorry.... off topic.... Uhl, Big fan of your blog...Keep it up... Thanx....

Please resume discussing OP topic :)
Well, I was trying to reduce redundancy as this topic is currently being discussed at length elsewhere. The Wattage group is a free forum of which I have no financial ties, so I didn't see a problem with pointing people to where the OP's question is already being discussed. I'm sorry if anyone considered my post as spam.

So to bring it back on-topic...

The Garmin Edge 705 out-of-box, had data filtering issues with ANT+Sport power meters, so when you compared it's recorded data with that of the native power-meter's CPU, there were differences.

Garmin's been farily responsive with firmware updates and just released version 2.60. Right now it looks like this newest firmware fixes the data filtering problem, but now there are reports of increased speed spikes.

One problem the new firmware does not address is that the Garmin Edge 705 still displays non-zero power average (NZAP) during a ride. This is not a big problem on a trainer workout, but on an outdoor ride NZAP is much higher than true average power (AP). Once you download it, all the data is there so programs like WKO+ will display your correct AP. You just won't know your AP during a ride.
 

Felt_Rider

Active Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,257
27
48
Uhl said:
Well, I was trying to reduce redundancy as this topic is currently being discussed at length elsewhere. The Wattage group is a free forum of which I have no financial ties, so I didn't see a problem with pointing people to where the OP's question is already being discussed. I'm sorry if anyone considered my post as spam.
Thanks for the link. That answered what I wanted to know at the moment.
Hopefully it is a "work in progress" and will be improved in the future.
 

barrocycles

New Member
Dec 22, 2007
27
0
0
Uhl said:
Well, I was trying to reduce redundancy as this topic is currently being discussed at length elsewhere. The Wattage group is a free forum of which I have no financial ties, so I didn't see a problem with pointing people to where the OP's question is already being discussed. I'm sorry if anyone considered my post as spam.

So to bring it back on-topic...

The Garmin Edge 705 out-of-box, had data filtering issues with ANT+Sport power meters, so when you compared it's recorded data with that of the native power-meter's CPU, there were differences.

Garmin's been farily responsive with firmware updates and just released version 2.60. Right now it looks like this newest firmware fixes the data filtering problem, but now there are reports of increased speed spikes.

One problem the new firmware does not address is that the Garmin Edge 705 still displays non-zero power average (NZAP) during a ride. This is not a big problem on a trainer workout, but on an outdoor ride NZAP is much higher than true average power (AP). Once you download it, all the data is there so programs like WKO+ will display your correct AP. You just won't know your AP during a ride.
I'm sorry, I believe you misunderstood me:confused: .... I was being off topic and paying you a complement on your personal blog..I find it to be some good reading and inspirational in my own training.

Sorry once again for interrupting... Please carry on.
 

Uhl

New Member
May 12, 2003
99
0
6
barrocycles said:
I'm sorry, I believe you misunderstood me:confused: .... I was being off topic and paying you a complement on your personal blog..
Aah, gee thanks...now I'm embarrassed I misinterpreted your post! :eek:

Glad to hear there's more than one person who follows my blog. Sometimes it feels that I post just as a form of self-therapy for my wattage obsession! :)
 

Uhl

New Member
May 12, 2003
99
0
6
Here are a couple more resources to keep abreast of these issues:

Motionbased Edge 605/705 forum

Garmin's 605/705 Firmware page

Personally, I've had the Edge 705 for about a year now but have been holding off on an ANT+Sport power meter. My wife and I currently have two wired PowerTap wheels but would love to have a crank-based system so I can run any of the race wheels we've accumulated over the years.

I was planning to get a Quarq, but decided to wait for the second generation and see what other cranks will be supported. With a frameset purchase imminent, I didn't want to buy a crank-based power meter that's not compatible with the bottom bracket standard of whichever frameset I decide on (BB30, BB86, etc.).

I'm hoping Garmin will continue to work out the issues so when I finally decide on something, it'll be as rock-solid as my wired PowerTap and the good old yeller PowerTap CPU! :)
 

Phil S

New Member
Sep 14, 2003
21
0
0
Thanks for the responses so far. I have had a look at the wattage group and a lot of the info there is useful but I find it hard to navigate and search topics there - i am a google groups newbiw, though.
Anyway, in case anyone is interested I now have three rides under my belt with the 705/Powertap working in sync. I am anal retentive about zeroing powermeters so the first thing to do was calibrate everything, which i did using the PT cpu.
First ride was a crit on Saturday, where I set some pleasing 5min and 20min numbers. I was slightly sceptical until I also downloaded the PT cpu data and it all tallied up. Because it was a race I didn't look at the numbers on the display so much, just dealt with the data afterwards.
Second ride was on the trainer. Bit of an issue here because I think the garmin locked on to a satellite and got confused that I was stationary, while the hub was giving it information that I was riding. Need to check that out next time on the trainer.
Third ride was a 2x20 on the road today. Despite my pre-ride calibration the numbers for current wattage appeared to be spiking a little high. Pulled the Powertap cpu out of my back pocket and the numbers were actually broadly similar... however on the powertap cpu I prefer my wattage readings set to 5s (display, not recording) as I find it easier on the eye for pacing purposes. The garmin display appears a bit jumpy at the moment and I'm trying to figure out if that can be changed. The average power display is useless, IMHO, at least for out on the road as it doesn't factor zeros so you get a higher average displayed than should be - even if this doesn't appear when the ride data is downloaded. Hence, I had a bit of a difficult time pacing my 2x20s today and will either have to get used to the 'spikey' numbers or figure out some other fix.

Sorry for the ramble, thought some of y'all might be interested.
 

liversedge

New Member
Jun 28, 2004
32
1
0
I have a 705 with srm. Works flawlessly. 2.6 firmware has introduced the option to manually enter the slope. I do get the occasional power spike after 2.6 but can edit out in 123 mode on the graph tab in wko.
 

Alex Simmons

Member
Mar 12, 2006
2,471
20
38
Uhl said:
Here are a couple more resources to keep abreast of these issues:

Motionbased Edge 605/705 forum

Garmin's 605/705 Firmware page

Personally, I've had the Edge 705 for about a year now but have been holding off on an ANT+Sport power meter. My wife and I currently have two wired PowerTap wheels but would love to have a crank-based system so I can run any of the race wheels we've accumulated over the years.

I was planning to get a Quarq, but decided to wait for the second generation and see what other cranks will be supported. With a frameset purchase imminent, I didn't want to buy a crank-based power meter that's not compatible with the bottom bracket standard of whichever frameset I decide on (BB30, BB86, etc.).

I'm hoping Garmin will continue to work out the issues so when I finally decide on something, it'll be as rock-solid as my wired PowerTap and the good old yeller PowerTap CPU! :)
Watching with interest ;)

I'm with you and see no need to upgrade when the good ol' wired units are working just fine*. The workouts sure don't get any easier and for me, mapping/gps is of little personal value given where I ride (the city, indoors and the track LOL). But if I was riding where you are I'd be tempted.

And I am planning on doing more road TTs in future - and that's where the altitude data along with power data becomes really interesting when analysing pacing.

* of course by being an early adopter of the first release PT SL model, I got two duds and both were replaced FOC. Been fine ever since. My 2nd hand wired SRMs are all working fine too.
 

Felt_Rider

Active Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,257
27
48
Alex Simmons said:
Watching with interest ;)

I'm with you and see no need to upgrade when the good ol' wired units are working just fine*. The workouts sure don't get any easier and for me, mapping/gps is of little personal value given where I ride (the city, indoors and the track LOL). But if I was riding where you are I'd be tempted.
Kind of straying away fromt the topic but, I was searching for routes near the town where my wife and I were going on vacation so that I continue to train. While searching on the MotionBased website for the route in that city one guy had his data from training on the track uploaded.

Maybe some people need help getting back to the start on the track. :D
Just kidding. I imagine the person uploading the data is only looking at the speed and time elements.


Next to the power meter that I started using last summer the Garmin Edge 305 has been a worthy investment for the type of club rides that I do.

I have used in the following manner.

  • Create new routes in advance and email the route to other Garmin users in the group so that several of us have the route in case the group splits.
  • I have used it to find my way back to parking lot when I have had bad days and dropped off the group.
  • I have used it when I have had good days and have split off the group for a faster pace.
  • I have used it on moutain courses and have surprised my friends with an attack on the climb near the summit because I have preloaded a marker on the route that lets me know when I am close to the summit. (now some of them will ask me if I have preloaded and they are watchful of my moves)
  • I have used it on fast unfamiliar mountain descents because I can glance at the gps and see if hard switchback are coming. (Of course my crash at 40 mph I didn't look and the road switched back the other way and I miscalculated. I should have looked my gps.)
If I raced I might not use it, but for club type rides it has been great. My bar looks overloaded with electronic gadgets with the PT and Garmin computer, but I put them both to good use. :)
 

Phil S

New Member
Sep 14, 2003
21
0
0
And in a further update (IYCBA to read this or are using an updater), I am currently struggling with a failing update for my race wheelset. Anyone else had an updater problem? The Garmin/PT combo I have been running is a hub that's been lent to me longterm and is already ANT+, the one I'm struggling with is a 2.4SL on a carbon rim. May also post in wattage forums, although I wonder why not talk about this topic here - that's the point of this forum, no?
 

larrynipon

New Member
Sep 17, 2003
105
0
0
Why in god's name would you shell out the $$ for the 705, and NOT bump your PT to ANT+? That's a total disconnect for me.


Phil S said:
Hi, I've had a search and can't find a topic devoted to this subject here so I thought I'd start one. Anyone using an Edge for their training with a powermeter? Is it reliable? Any gremlins you've discovered and how to work around them?
I myself am a PT SL2.4 user and I have acquired an Edge 705. Haven't yet shelled out for the ANT+ hub firmware upgrade but I am really tempted to do so... I love the mapping on the Garmin and have discovered some great new training routes thanks to it, plus have used it abroad. If it all worked sensibly with power then I would definitely shell out.
 

Phil S

New Member
Sep 14, 2003
21
0
0
In ersponse to the above question, I am a journalist and received a 705 to evaluate. When Garmin eventually asked for the unit back I asked if they'd sell it to me - which they did for a modest price - and I have updated to ANT+. A few little teething problems along the way but I am happy overall.