Garmin Edge 800 Vs Touring

Tennjed

Mar 18, 2015
Looking to get a dedicated gps. Right now i use strava on my phone and it auto pauses during the middle of the ride a lot. Very annoying.

I am a new rider. Looking mainly for mph, distance, elevation, and maps. I like to see what roads are around me as i am riding.

I have seem the Edge 800 and Edge touring both for around $200 refurbished. Really dont want to spend anymore (really dont want to spend that much :) )

Since this is all new to me, what are the big differences between these 2? Which is considered better? Any better options in my price range?

Thanks!

Reactions: Lillieneef
Thanks, CampyBob! This stimulated me to check DC Rainmaker for an Edge 1000 review.

Thanks a ton

Bob

I usually prefer to stimulate wimmenz...

EVERYONE needs to refer to DC Rainmaker's website when it comes to fitness electronic devices. The kid is a genius, honest in his reviews and makes it easy for even a dinosaur like me to understand their features and how to use them. His comparison sections are logical and a great timesaver for the relatively uniformed and unfamiliar among us.

I've never really been a Garmin fanboi...having spent most of my adult life staring down at nearly data-less Avocet's and Cateye's before getting my first GPS computer a couple years ago...also a Cateye (Stealth 50). I will say this, Garmin is the devil everyone uses. They are decent devices for the money and I really use the **** out of my 510 (already obsoleted at a year old by the newer 520 model).

I still want full mapping functions, but I'm thinking in a smaller format than the 8xx-1xxx series. A 520 size device with the full mapping feature would be killer IMO. The Touring models are nice enough, but lack the boy-racer functions I need.

Last Saturday I went on an exploration ride...hitting an area I haven't ridden in decades. I prepped by printing out/trimming to minimum size with scissors and carefully folding a stack of Bing maps and stuffing them into a ZipLoc sandwich bag.

Do you KNOW what kind of fossil I looked like as I pulled over and checked my route at some deserted rural intersection that was devoid of any road signs? I was downright embarrassed and resolved to get a new smart Ipotato...someday. I mean paper? Paper? Holy ****! I felt like some Egyptian Overseer holding a papyrus drawing trying to figure out where the pyramid was going to be built.

Just as an aside, Scott crossed the country using his smart phone (a Droid) for navigation and communication). He did use a pair of external battery sources (one in his small handlebar bag hardwired to the in-use phone), constantly swapping them out and keeping one on charger in his support vehicle.

I'm sure you found your way!

Scott did tell me that he used Adventure Cycling maps for the southwestern part of his trip. I get the sense he likes them and found them to be accurate. Then as he moved eastward he switched over to using Google Maps. He mentioned the quality of the directions were poor and sometimes Google would have him riding in the same useless circles. That happens to me here in the Washington Metro area, too. Sometimes Google just does not cut it. I could get to a destination faster oinking against stone blocks on skids, for the pyramids.

So I guess Bing maps are no better. I have no idea if the combined ranks of Google and Microsoft executives are deeply committed bicyclists but I suspect not.

Maybe you could form a cartography company specializing in bicycle routes for the Eastern USA. That will give you plenty of chances to explore.

Thanks a ton

Bob

CAMPYBOB said:
I usually prefer to stimulate wimmenz...

EVERYONE needs to refer to DC Rainmaker's website when it comes to fitness electronic devices. The kid is a genius, honest in his reviews and makes it easy for even a dinosaur like me to understand their features and how to use them. His comparison sections are logical and a great timesaver for the relatively uniformed and unfamiliar among us.

I've never really been a Garmin fanboi...having spent most of my adult life staring down at nearly data-less Avocet's and Cateye's before getting my first GPS computer a couple years ago...also a Cateye (Stealth 50). I will say this, Garmin is the devil everyone uses. They are decent devices for the money and I really use the **** out of my 510 (already obsoleted at a year old by the newer 520 model).

I still want full mapping functions, but I'm thinking in a smaller format than the 8xx-1xxx series. A 520 size device with the full mapping feature would be killer IMO. The Touring models are nice enough, but lack the boy-racer functions I need.

Last Saturday I went on an exploration ride...hitting an area I haven't ridden in decades. I prepped by printing out/trimming to minimum size with scissors and carefully folding a stack of Bing maps and stuffing them into a ZipLoc sandwich bag.

Do you KNOW what kind of fossil I looked like as I pulled over and checked my route at some deserted rural intersection that was devoid of any road signs? I was downright embarrassed and resolved to get a new smart Ipotato...someday. I mean paper? Paper? Holy ****! I felt like some Egyptian Overseer holding a papyrus drawing trying to figure out where the pyramid was going to be built.

Just as an aside, Scott crossed the country using his smart phone (a Droid) for navigation and communication). He did use a pair of external battery sources (one in his small handlebar bag hardwired to the in-use phone), constantly swapping them out and keeping one on charger in his support vehicle.
LOL.

The Garmin 810 I use is pretty good for most routes - except those that have a section that crosses somewhere. It's like Ghostbusters - don't cross the streams!!! If you have a route where the roads do cross then don't expect the navigation to work all that well until the later half of the route after you've ridden past that point. In those instances you have to leave the map on the page and follow the route manually. All the good stuff like "distance to next turn" and turn by turn instructions doesn't work until you've passed the cross point too.

The Garmin tools for mapping on the PC are shite too. Some knobscratch decided that having a plain Jane fully screen map wouldn't be fancy enough - just put the damn map in a letter box sized window and make all north south routes a pain in the ass to map out. My other beef is that the mapping tool finds all those pesky roads that are peoples driveways and tries to route you down those when you're mapping a route in the boonies - zooming in on the map is a must on the PC when plotting the route. It makes mapping a 600km brevet living hell - but it'd still better than standing at an intersection at 3:52am in the boonies holding Bob's map in-front of the bike light. Simple things like adding "points of interest" to your map would be nice - it could be a hill, a store to buy water/beer/food, a check point on a ride... But alas no - you have useless **** like Bluetooth weather from your iBone - like it'd work in the mountains (no cell service for the iBone) and shocker, it's not hard to see when it's going to rain when you're on a bicycle.

The other thing that bugs the **** out of me is the battery. It's good for a 400km ride but not a 600km - which is why I bought the damn thing. The out-front mount is preferred but there's no room for the USB cable, so the held on by "Bob's rubber cockring" top of the stem mount is required - then you end up with a $5000 bike with an expensive gadget held on by rubber bands and cables flopping all over the shop. Ass. Completely ass. Maybe the Garmin 1000 out front mount will give enough room for an 810 and a USB cable.

The Garmin is sketchy in my area as it loses satellite signal frequently. I have to do a factory reset on a regular basis but still end up getting 10 mph averages due to lost satellite link. Maybe I am just that slow.

If you don't have to look at the map all the time, a GPS Android phone should be fine. Just save the map in advance. My whole city is about 6mb...

You are gonna have a phone with you anyway...

Then a dedicated GPS data logger, with adequate wireless protocols to connect eeeeeeverything, HR, Power, Brain Wavelength, Blood Pressure, Dope dosage...

I really like one of these for all that. But don't know if they are for sale yet... Very small, long battery life:

Lezyne-GPS-cycling-computuers-launch01.jpg

Quote by Swami:
"The other thing that bugs the **** out of me is the battery. It's good for a 400km ride but not a 600km"

Dude, for that thing to last long enough to get you through 600Km it would need a deep cycle marine battery. Even at 30 KPH randyknees max. ludicrous speed that would be 20 hours plus stops at controls the Blue Oyster Bar.

"which is why I bought the damn thing."
Did you bother reading the specifications prior to your purchase? I know...you're not smart enough to do that. 17 hours max. under ideal conditions. i.e. Brutus wasn't at the Blue Oyster when you stopped by and you were rapidly on your merry gay way.

"The out-front mount is preferred but there's no room for the USB cable"
Again, you're not smart enough to buy one of the higher or lower or extended out front mounts from K-Edge or Barfly or...well, any of the other mounts from SCRAM, ChinaMart or even...<GASP!>...Garmin! that are either extended or vertically positioned to allow access to your...er...ummm...'port'.

"Bob's rubber cockring"

You promised you wouldn't tell! Next time, no dinner and movie first!

I don't need no movie... You should have known that by now and you should already know that your extender doesn't work.

There just isn't enough room to to get the supplied USB cable in between the stem and the 810. Maybe with a combo of a Garmin 1000 mount and a right angled USB cable with the correct length of connector. The right angled cable I got wouldn't fit the 810 as the right angled extension was too short.

I read the specs and knew I'd need a battery for the 600km - maybe you should put your specs on a read before replying B)

jhuskey said:
The Garmin is sketchy in my area as it loses satellite signal frequently. I have to do a factory reset on a regular basis but still end up getting 10 mph averages due to lost satellite link. Maybe I am just that slow.
Maybe use the speed sensor and a wheel magnet? I find that the only way to get reliable speed and distance info - even out on pan flat open roads of the Sacramento delta.

Quote by Swami:
"You should have known that by now and you should already know that your extender doesn't work."

I know. You're well used. It's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

I read the specs and knew I'd need a battery for the 600km - maybe you should put your specs on a read before replying B)"

At your speed, having the Energizer Turtle follow you around would be advisable.

But, do continue whining because you bought the unit knowing the specifications and mounting options that you 'knew' about. Are all randyknees that stupid?

Or in your case less hotdog more cocktail sausage...

The out front mounts were new when I bought my 810 - for the longer rides I take the out front mount off and use the **** mount with the rubber band.

I would have expected the rather pricy Navigation package to come with a mount long enough to allow the use of an extra battery given that the navigation features drain the batteries even faster than usual.

The girls call me 'Footlong'. With a smile. I've heard them refer to your as 'Stubbie'.

Dude, quit whining and go borrow the 3D plastic printer from the prototype department. You dumbass randyknees couldn't model an inch longer bracket, but for a case of beer one of the designers might realize how painfully stupid you are and reverse engineer your existing mount.

Or...you could just go to K-Edge or Barfly and buy one that works.

Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.

K edge and barfly didn't make one long enough the last time I looked.

You should suggest something that works. This is getting to be a bit like to raving about Campag and riding SPAM.

Par for the course with Garmin and their GPS stuff (car and bike) - promise everything, deliver about half of it.

swampy1970 said:
Par for the course with Garmin and their GPS stuff (car and bike) - promise everything, deliver about half of it.
Oh no! :D The president of Garnish GPS int. Just lost his sleep! :D

Oh, for ***** sake! Try a Zipp Vuka or Quickview or any of the elevated mounts.

Or just keep whining like a 12-year old little girl.

k-edge-garmin-computer-mount-2.jpg

One of many height/angle/length extenders:

PROCARBON_COMPUTER_MOUNT_KIT_NW.jpg

Wah! Wah! Nothing woooorks! Poor me! What am I to do!?!?! And it's carbon...so you can add another pound to your gut. Jeezus, what a moron.

CAMPYBOB said:
Oh, for ***** sake! Try a Zipp Vuka or Quickview or any of the elevated mounts.

Or just keep whining like a 12-year old little girl.

k-edge-garmin-computer-mount-2.jpg

One of many height/angle/length extenders:

PROCARBON_COMPUTER_MOUNT_KIT_NW.jpg

Wah! Wah! Nothing woooorks! Poor me! What am I to do!?!?! And it's carbon...so you can add another pound to your gut. Jeezus, what a moron.
Dude, just because you could fit your pecker in that little gap between the Garmin and the stem doesn't mean you can fit a USB cable end in there...

That's it...keep whining. The world loves losers like you.

Something so ****ing simple to remedy yet you'ld rather spend your life whining about an insignificant problem with multiple solutions. ****ing brilliant.

You remind me more every day of that other ****ing moron and his retarded 'Hirth joint air gap' idiocy. I swear, you're as ****ing retarded as he is.