Garmin Edge vs Forerunner

cf1448

Jan 17, 2004
I have decided to buy either a Garmin Edge 305 or Forerunner 305 and am wondering if anyone could elaborate on specific features/reasons that would sway me to choose the cycling specific Edge model over the running focused, yet multi-purpose, Forerunner. I estimate 80 percent of my use of this item will be for cycling, so if the Forerunner model's cycling utility is weak compared to the Edge model, I would choose the Edge. However, I am thinking my wife and I would use the Forerunner model for both running and x-c skiing. Unfortunately, I can't afford both. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've used my Edge 305 for running and snowshoeing. I've been very happy with it. Since both the Edge and the Forerunner both use the same software, the only disadvantage I see is the Forerunner wouldn't give you cadence information and it would be harder to mount on a bike (unless you plan to look at your wrist all the time). I personally like having cadence so I wouldn't give that up to have the Forerunner.

I chose the FR 305 to use for cycling (rather than the Edge). Currently I have a Polar CS200 as my main computer for speed, cadence, distance and HR. I wear the FR 305 strictly to track GPS/elevation. As I have FSA K-wing road bars, I don't have much real estate on the handlebars for two computers. My Polar sits on my stem and the fat winged bar tops don't allow another computer to be installed. Ultimately, I will likely be switcing my Polar out and replacing it with a Powertap SL 2.4 which I will install on the stem, as I want to track power output.

I still will continue to wear my FR 305 for GPS/elevation. Now I just need a software program that will integrate the Powertap file with the Garmin file into one activity !!!!

In terms of the downsides of the FR 305 compared to the Edge, the screen is smaller, you don't get accumulative data on ascents/descents (until you download the data), and you can't have as many fields of data per screen. You can get cadence with the optional cadence sensor on either. Personally, I don't really study my FR 305 screen too much during the ride and watch the Polar screen more for speed/cadence/HR. I really use the FR for downloading GPS data. Occasionally, I play with the virtual partner function, which is available on both.

I have an Edge 305 on order. i weighed up all the pros/cons and decided that my main hobby was cycling so id get the edge rather than the forerunner. I can use the edge for the others, but i most definatly do more cycling than the rest so yeah.

Cant wait for it to be delievered :D

How do you wear your Edge when running?

BtonRider said:
I've used my Edge 305 for running and snowshoeing. I've been very happy with it. Since both the Edge and the Forerunner both use the same software, the only disadvantage I see is the Forerunner wouldn't give you cadence information and it would be harder to mount on a bike (unless you plan to look at your wrist all the time). I personally like having cadence so I wouldn't give that up to have the Forerunner.

Why do you use both the Forerunner and the Polar? Wouldn't the Forerunner, or Edge, accomplish all tasks, making only one necessary?

Thom_y said:
I chose the FR 305 to use for cycling (rather than the Edge). Currently I have a Polar CS200 as my main computer for speed, cadence, distance and HR. I wear the FR 305 strictly to track GPS/elevation. As I have FSA K-wing road bars, I don't have much real estate on the handlebars for two computers. My Polar sits on my stem and the fat winged bar tops don't allow another computer to be installed. Ultimately, I will likely be switcing my Polar out and replacing it with a Powertap SL 2.4 which I will install on the stem, as I want to track power output.

I still will continue to wear my FR 305 for GPS/elevation. Now I just need a software program that will integrate the Powertap file with the Garmin file into one activity !!!!

In terms of the downsides of the FR 305 compared to the Edge, the screen is smaller, you don't get accumulative data on ascents/descents (until you download the data), and you can't have as many fields of data per screen. You can get cadence with the optional cadence sensor on either. Personally, I don't really study my FR 305 screen too much during the ride and watch the Polar screen more for speed/cadence/HR. I really use the FR for downloading GPS data. Occasionally, I play with the virtual partner function, which is available on both.

cf1448 said:
Why do you use both the Forerunner and the Polar? Wouldn't the Forerunner, or Edge, accomplish all tasks, making only one necessary?

Good point. I bought the Polar with my bike, before I realized how much I like my friend's GPS data. Plus, after I bought my bike I realized I really was interested in a Power meter. So, I have left the Polar on the bike for now until I switch to a Powertap. I still use it for watching my speed and cadence. (I don't have the optional Garmin speed or cadence sensor) Once I get the powertap, I will still wear the GPS to track the route/elevaton. Plus, by having the Forerunner, I can have a portable cyclecomputer for when I go cycling vacations without my own bike.

Some questions on FR 305...

does the package come with a sort of cradle to fix the device on the handlebar, if you don't want to wear it, while you are on the bike?
Is true that the H.R. is not reliable if the device is on the handlebar?
Has it got a sort of odometer (to simple count the real distance you ride on the bike) apart from the GPS evidence?

birlest said:

does the package come with a sort of cradle to fix the device on the handlebar, if you don't want to wear it, while you are on the bike?
Has it got a sort of odometer (to simple count the real distance you ride on the bike) apart from the GPS evidence?
I don't know about the HRM not being reliable if mounted on the handlebar, the monitor is wireless and it's on your chest strap, so I couldn't see it being influenced by sharper bumps resulting from handlebar mounting.

I believe it has a regular odometer function if you use the optional cadence sensor on it, I think it picks up the speed / distance data from that sensor if it doesn't have a GPS position to calculate it. I don't think that it monitors it for speed / distance at all times, though.

I just got the Garmin 305 Edge with a heart rate monitor. It's almost as small as some of my old cycle computers. You can track a number of different things including, altitude, incline, heart rate, speed, time, time of day, etc. At the end of the ride I plug the Edge into my computer and I have a complete training summary . . . . with a map of my route! It comes with two mounts – one stem mount and one handlebar mount - so I can mount it on both of my bikes. It will record input from three bicycles (and several runners). I’m impressed. Sometime down the road I will probably spring for the cadence monitor.

I got mine on the weekend, ive been having a bit of a play. Here i thought i was going too easy on myself and needed to kick it up a gear, turns out im working with my heart at 90%+ most of the time heh :O

I got the cadence when i bought mine, took me ages to try and pair it ... turns out it had a flat battery (an easy but annoying $4 fix).
As far as helping seeing exactly where im at and where im going wrong, its fantastic! Unfortunatly now we have rain for the rest of the week and im sorry but i disolve when riding in rain :)
The Garmin edge however can be fully submersed for 30 minutes before the warrenty is void - so its a little more hardy than myself :D

birlest said:

The polar mount for the newer Polar units will accomodate nicely for the FR 305. My Forerunner's been sitting on my handle bars for a couple of thousand kilometres without any problems regarding HR/GPS quality. The polar mount is secured with zip-ties so even beefier bars will hold the mount.

wishes said:
I have an Edge 305 on order. i weighed up all the pros/cons and decided that my main hobby was cycling so id get the edge rather than the forerunner. I can use the edge for the others, but i most definatly do more cycling than the rest so yeah.

Cant wait for it to be delievered :D

I'm also waiting for an Edge 305. Bought it from Amazon, who list it as "w/heart monitor and cadence." I assumed that meant all parts for cadence were included. Was I wrong about that? Buyer's remorse starting to seep in? Help!

bernmart said:
I'm also waiting for an Edge 305. Bought it from Amazon, who list it as "w/heart monitor and cadence." I assumed that meant all parts for cadence were included. Was I wrong about that? Buyer's remorse starting to seep in? Help!
Can you link to the item that you bought on amazon? I didn't think that the 305 had an option that came with both (though you should probably be able to tell by the price difference if it does).

I was at a Circuit City over the weekend and played with a Garmin Nuvi 350 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=6290). It was very cool and small enough to fit in a pocket. It got me thinking. I would like to do more cycling on the road, but I have a terrible sense of direction. I was wondering has anyone thought of mounting one of these on their bikes? I know it is designed more for cars, but I am thinking it would come in handy for a cyclist, too. It is obviouslly missing a cadence sensor and heart rate monitor. It also doesn't look like it has a feature to leave "breadcrumbs" of my journey.

I was looking at the Garmin Edge, and although it has some cool features, I don't see were it shows you street maps or allow you to plan your route. Does anyone know if there is a GPS device that has all the features of the Nuvi and Edge?

KenSky said:
I was looking at the Garmin Edge, and although it has some cool features, I don't see were it shows you street maps or allow you to plan your route. Does anyone know if there is a GPS device that has all the features of the Nuvi and Edge?

Although it is a bit bigger and heavier than the Edge, you might want to consider one of the Garmin handheld map/GPS units that can be mounted on your handlebar:

e.g. eTrex Vista, Legend, Venture or Summit. There are many versions available, some with color screens, some with High-sensitivity GPS, and some with barometric altimeter. The can be used for navigation with maps etc. Many are also compatible with motionbased.com, but may not be as cycling oriented as the fitness equipment (Edge or Forerunner).

While I can't directly compare to the Edge, I think the primary difference is cadence. So if you don't care about that, or have another way to measure it, the FR 305 is a good way to go.

I've had mine for two months and love it! The wrist unit is larger than a watch, however not too bulky. The reception has been fantastic in a variety of locations and weather conditions. My biggest need was a unit that had HR reception strong enough to transmit/receive through winter weather clothing and this does it fabulously.

The greatest training tool has been MotionBased where you can upload your training session, see it on GoogleMaps, along with a variety of time, distance, heartrate, and elevation combinations. This really brings your training sessions to life! www.motionbased.com

Good luck!

javaruke said:
While I can't directly compare to the Edge, I think the primary difference is cadence. So if you don't care about that, or have another way to measure it, the FR 305 is a good way to go.

I've had mine for two months and love it! The wrist unit is larger than a watch, however not too bulky. The reception has been fantastic in a variety of locations and weather conditions. My biggest need was a unit that had HR reception strong enough to transmit/receive through winter weather clothing and this does it fabulously.

The greatest training tool has been MotionBased where you can upload your training session, see it on GoogleMaps, along with a variety of time, distance, heartrate, and elevation combinations. This really brings your training sessions to life! www.motionbased.com

Good luck!
Actually, I ordered a cadence sensor separately to use with my forerunner 305. It looks like they can perform just the same, but the edge does have a little bit bigger screen, and has a barometric altimiter for smoother altitude changes.

Motion based is really good, and basically eliminates the need for the altimiter because it does it's own elevation measurements based on location, rather than based on the GPS height data.