Garmin eTrex ??

wotnoshoeseh

Jan 15, 2011
Hi, I have an option to buy an etrex pretty cheaply. $137. I was wondering if it would be good for the bike, as a bike computer. Quite a bit cheaper than the latest ones. Can anyone vive me an idea over thesuitability of this. Also is there a bike mount available?

Which eTrex? The Garmin eTrex line is quite varied. I own two. The prices naturally vary quite a bit also. They have bike mounts for them but they aren't cheap at around $30 - $35. I didn't like paying that much for a little piece of plastic but the design is really specific for the eTrex. Mine works fine on my bicycle but I have a little trouble reading as I ride. My eyesight is probably a factor. I like using a mapping software like DeLorme Street Atlas to download the track to my computer when I get home. The best part is that you can take it off your bike and use it for hiking, geocaching, etc. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that is designed for running and bicycling but isn't the greatest for hiking.

So, the eTrex will work but to give you a better idea of if the price is right find out which eTrex it is (basic (yellow), Vista, Vista HCx (color), Venture, Summit) and then look on ebay. That should give you a general idea.

I'm pretty sure it's the Vista.

What sort of functionality do you get with this?

I'm not totally familiar with all of the roads around here where I ride, so I'd be looking for something that would tell me how far I am from home, by the shortest route.
Also as this is an older model would the maps be up to date? I'm presuming that once I register it I would get an automatic downlad of the latest maps but it would be good to know that before I buy anything...

Thanks.