Garmin forerunner 301 downloading problems???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Darren Pearce, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Darren Pearce

Darren Pearce New Member

ever since i have had this thing, it will not allow me to download the info onto my Mac, it keeps starting the process then drops out all the time??? anyone else with or have had this problem and how did you fix it??
    Darren

Tags:

2. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Garmin must have a distain for Mac users. All the stuff for the 301 that comes with the unit is unusable for Mac. Here is the link for a Mac only GPS software that kind a does it all. Export your rides to Mapmyride.com and you've got routes! http://www.montebellosoftware.com/
    Look for the Ascent program. Pretty cool stuff. I took the Garmin icon off my dock months ago.:D

3. RelevantAaron

RelevantAaron New Member

+1 for Ascent - great software. Though for some reason I feel the need to also download to GTC.

If it is dropping the USB connection it may not be a software problem though - sounds like communication is lost to the USB port. I have a 305 and it works on my MacBook Pro with both Ascent and GTC. I'd suggest trying the free version of Ascent and seeing if that solves your problem.

4. RelevantAaron

RelevantAaron New Member

+1 for Ascent - great software.

If it is dropping the USB connection it may not be a software problem though - sounds like communication is lost to the USB port. I have a 305 and it works on my MacBook Pro with both Ascent and GTC. I'd suggest trying the free version of Ascent and seeing if that solves your problem.

5. Darren Pearce

Darren Pearce New Member

i have downloaded the ascent program, but where do you extraxt or import the files from the 301, i cant seem to work it out, please help me. i have the Melbourne to Warrnambool on this weekend and want to download the route, 300k, still have last years route on it, not yet downloaded!!!!

6. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Plug your unit in to the computer. Go to File > Sync GPS. It should start automatically:)

Also the cursor should point to "SYNC GPS" Sorry.

7. Darren Pearce

Darren Pearce New Member

yes i did that and still nothing, please dont tell me there is nothing else i can try???

8. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Between both syncing issues it sounds like you need to do a hard reset on the unit. I can't remember exactly which order of buttons to push, but you can find it on their support website.You'll lose all your current non - downloaded rides, and user info, but this usually does it for the 301. Garmin once told me this fixes all issues. Some solution!:eek: Also, try Garmin's website for the most current firmware. If all else fails, Garmins tech support is excellent and may provide you additional info, but they may tell you the same thing.:(

Good luck!