Garmin Forerunner 305...A Problem Child???

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Hmmm...I was thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner 305, but I'm not
    sure now. First off, they were promised at the end of February, and I
    see they are still having problems getting them to market. Is this due
    to problems with the device? I'm also reading on the Web about
    problems in the heart rate monitor feature, and how the calories are
    not being calculated properly, etc., etc., etc. Is this just one more
    example of a "good idea" that is not "delivering properly"? Hmmm....

    Tags:

  2. sam adams wrote:
    > I'm also reading on the Web about [...] how the calories are
    > not being calculated properly, etc.

    Oh dear! That'd totally derail my training - I'd have to hang up my
    Air Spans (and my Frees, Complete Heras, Corsa Settes, Fastwitches,
    etc.) until they got that ironed out!

    How'm I s'posedta run if I don't know how many calories I'm burning???

  3. Dot

    Dot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hmmm...I was thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner 305, but I'm not
    > sure now. First off, they were promised at the end of February, and I
    > see they are still having problems getting them to market. Is this due
    > to problems with the device?

    Problems with delivery of one part is my understanding. I happened to
    see a garmin dealer at a trade show Sat and asked him a couple quick
    questions.

    > I'm also reading on the Web about
    > problems in the heart rate monitor feature, and how the calories are
    > not being calculated properly, etc., etc., etc.

    What is "correct" calculation of calories for either a hrm or a gps
    approach?

    > Is this just one more
    > example of a "good idea" that is not "delivering properly"? Hmmm....

    Sounds more like avoid vs 1.0 to me. It looks like they've made a number
    of improvements - somewhat cosmetic, but helpful - more reasonable size,
    more accessible buttons, antenna wraps around wrist from what the dealer
    said so reception should be a lot better. He claims 305 is a lot better
    than earlier versions. He's still waiting for delivery, so not sure if
    that's sales talk or if he tried one elsewhere.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope