Garmin GPS, Birth defects and Reproductive Harm

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Allan, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:

    "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known to the state of California
    to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."

    Its found on a sticker - on the back, inside. Where you can only look after you purchase it... I
    called Garmin, and they said "Oh, its FINE!" (so why the sticker!)

    Anyone know any more details?

    --
    ============================
    Allan Canada

    Tags:

  2. In article <IP2Zb.560589$X%[email protected]>, Allan wrote:
    > What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:
    >
    > "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known to the state of
    > California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."
    >
    > Its found on a sticker - on the back, inside. Where you can only look after you purchase it... I
    > called Garmin, and they said "Oh, its FINE!" (so why the sticker!)
    >
    > Anyone know any more details?

    Google for

    California proposition 65

  3. In article <IP2Zb.560589$X%[email protected]>, Allan wrote:
    > What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:
    >
    > "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known to the state of
    > California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."
    >
    > Its found on a sticker - on the back, inside. Where you can only look after you purchase it... I
    > called Garmin, and they said "Oh, its FINE!" (so why the sticker!)
    >
    > Anyone know any more details?

    For example:

    http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/cust_help/cserv_prop65faq.jhtml

  4. That is California's way of saying do not eat, lick, make tea from, bath with, or rub on mucous
    membranes, the product, its packaging, and/or its components.

    Surf < http://www.coldbacon.com/photos/silicagel.html >

    "Allan" <[email protected]_OUTcomunity.net> wrote in message
    news:IP2Zb.560589$X%[email protected]...
    > What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:
    >
    > "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known
    > the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."
    >
    > Its found on a sticker - on the back, inside. Where you can only look
    after
    > you purchase it... I called Garmin, and they said "Oh, its FINE!" (so why the sticker!)
    >
    > Anyone know any more details?
    >
    > --
    > ============================
    > Allan Canada

  5. Well, at least now you joggers have an excuse for your low sperm count and underdeveloped equipment.

  6. Surf McIdiot eats a lot worse things than that...

    "Surf McBrowse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > That is California's way of saying do not eat, lick, make tea from, bath with, or rub on mucous
    > membranes, the product, its packaging, and/or its components.
    >
    > Surf < http://www.coldbacon.com/photos/silicagel.html >
    >

    > "Allan" <[email protected]_OUTcomunity.net> wrote in message
    > news:IP2Zb.560589$X%[email protected]...
    > > What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:
    > >
    > > "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known
    > > the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."
    > >
    > > Its found on a sticker - on the back, inside. Where you can only look
    > after
    > > you purchase it... I called Garmin, and they said "Oh, its FINE!" (so why the sticker!)
    > >
    > > Anyone know any more details?
    > >
    > > --
    > > ============================
    > > Allan Canada

  7. Eno

    Eno Guest

    "Allan" <[email protected]_OUTcomunity.net> wrote in message
    news:IP2Zb.560589$X%[email protected]...
    > What is with this warning on my Garmin Gecko GPS receiver:
    >
    > "this product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known
    > the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm..."

    TRANSLATION: "If it's not made of Granola--make that organically grown and processed Granola--it may
    kill you."

    --
    eNo

  8. Hts

    Hts Guest

    The sticker no doubt referred to the chemical inside the liquid crystal display. I think you would
    have to chew the watch up thoroughly and swallow it in order to ingest this stuff.