Garmin GPS Map 60Cx powers of on bad dirt roads anyone?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Domagoj Malovic, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Hi!

    I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and the
    unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never powered
    down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the new unit
    has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.

    In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all is
    OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way to
    know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact? I
    switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag page
    says Abnormal Powerdown.

    Any ideas anyone?

    Tags:

  2. Phil Wheeler

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Domagoj Malovic wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    > mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and the
    > unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never powered
    > down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the new unit
    > has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.
    >
    > In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all is
    > OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way to
    > know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    > battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact? I
    > switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag page
    > says Abnormal Powerdown.

    Most likely the batteries temporarily losing contact with the contacts.
    I have heard of it happening with other units.

    It could be that the springs are not stiff enough to hold contact with
    the accelerations experienced. Designs do differ: I almost need a
    crowbar to remove the batteries from my Garmin SP-III.

    And if you are using NiMH rechargeables, measure them carefully. I've
    noticed some variation in length among brands .. a possible contributor
    if yours are on the short end of the spectrum.

    Phil

  3. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    "Domagoj Malovic" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Hi!
    >
    > I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    > mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and
    > the unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never
    > powered down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the
    > new unit has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.
    >
    > In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all
    > is OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way
    > to know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    > battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact?
    > I switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag
    > page says Abnormal Powerdown.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    same thing happened to me. I corrected the problem by adding a small amount
    of tissue paper (folded up until it took up the gap) between the cover and
    the batteries. This holds the batteries more securely. Haven't had a
    problem since.

    Gary (Garmin etrex Legend)

  4. Jack Erbes

    Jack Erbes Guest

    Domagoj Malovic wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    > mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and the
    > unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never powered
    > down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the new unit
    > has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.
    >
    > In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all is
    > OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way to
    > know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    > battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact? I
    > switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag page
    > says Abnormal Powerdown.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    Some of the earlier 60 series Garmins experienced some shutdown problems
    due to the variations in battery length from one battery to another.
    The flat spring contacts (inverted "V" shape) did not have enough
    pressure or range to prevent batteries from bouncing out of contact.

    Some also experienced breakage of the contacts from batteries that were
    too long and over compressed the springs at the peak of the "V". I don
    have a 60 series but I think heard that they added a rubber disc inside
    the "V" to help solve the problem.

    They really should have used a coil spring contact there, it has a much
    better working range.

    Jack

    --
    Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
    (also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

  5. Arthur Hass

    Arthur Hass Guest

    This was a common problem with the III+ when it originally hit the
    market. Garmin developed a spring insert for the battery compartment.
    The III+ used four AAs. The spring went between each pair. Garmin sent
    me about a half a dozen springs!

    I'm not sure this would be a possible solution on the 60C since it only
    uses two batteries. If it loads batteries like my 76CS (parallel
    horizontally), I don't see how a spring could be used. Regardless,
    contact Garmin.

    Arthur Hass

    Domagoj Malovic wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    > mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and the
    > unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never powered
    > down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the new unit
    > has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.
    >
    > In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all is
    > OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way to
    > know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    > battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact? I
    > switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag page
    > says Abnormal Powerdown.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

  6. IT3

    IT3 Guest

    I have the same problem with my Garmin Map76CS bouncing around in the
    HUMVEE here in Q8.... I put a bit of 100Km/hr tape on the inside cafe
    of the back cover and it seems to have helped quite a bit..... I had a
    similar Problem with my Legend and they sent me some springs to replace
    the metal battery contacts, I should probably contact them about the
    76CS but I've been busy out on Border Patrols recently.

  7. TexGEOas

    TexGEOas Guest

    It is the batteries breaking contact during vibration. Partly Garmin's
    fault for not having more spring in their springs. Partly the
    battery's fault since they vary in size.

    Solution: Put some padding on the batteries just before replacing the
    cover. This will hold the batteries stationary. Just a little foam or
    folded toilet paper will do.

    It's a common problem with an easy fix.

    TexGEOas

  8. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Domagoj Malovic" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Hi!
    >
    > I was riding today with my GPS mounted on the handlebars of my hardtail XC
    > mountain bike (KTM Ultra Ride), using the original Garmin bike mount and
    > the unit powered off on me 3 times. I used to have a 60C, and it never
    > powered down, inspite of a lot of vibration on many bad trails. Even the
    > new unit has seen some tough terrain, and it worked OK up until today.
    >
    > In normal conditions in the car or on the bike but on asphalt roads, all
    > is OK but on a road that vibrates more, it just dies on me. Is there a way
    > to know if the unit developed a bad contact somewhere, or is it maybe the
    > battery compartment or maybe even the memory card that's loosing contact?
    > I switched to a different set of batteries but that didn't help. The diag
    > page says Abnormal Powerdown.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    My unit NEVER powers down. Works when I need it, day or night. I can
    mount it on my handle bars or carry it in my backpack. I've even been known
    to use it as a hat.

    Marty

  9. Phil Wheeler

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    IT3 wrote:
    > I have the same problem with my Garmin Map76CS bouncing around in the
    > HUMVEE here in Q8.... I put a bit of 100Km/hr tape on the inside cafe
    > of the back cover and it seems to have helped quite a bit..... I had a
    > similar Problem with my Legend and they sent me some springs to replace
    > the metal battery contacts, I should probably contact them about the
    > 76CS but I've been busy out on Border Patrols recently.

    Good luck outrunning the Border Patrol ;)

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Marty wrote:

    > My unit NEVER powers down.

    Family newsgroup, buddy.

    Bill "for the Squid" S.

  11. lostparts

    lostparts Guest

    "Phil Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    : IT3 wrote:
    : > I have the same problem with my Garmin Map76CS bouncing around in the
    : > HUMVEE here in Q8.... I put a bit of 100Km/hr tape on the inside cafe
    : > of the back cover and it seems to have helped quite a bit..... I had a
    : > similar Problem with my Legend and they sent me some springs to replace
    : > the metal battery contacts, I should probably contact them about the
    : > 76CS but I've been busy out on Border Patrols recently.
    : >
    :
    :
    : Good luck outrunning the Border Patrol. Did it 4 times this past weekend.
    The hummer had to stop for gas.

  12. Sorni wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> My unit NEVER powers down.

    > Family newsgroup, buddy.
    >
    > Bill "for the Squid" S.

    I was more concerned about him using a GPS as a hat... you know... with all
    the radio waves and such.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  13. IT3

    IT3 Guest

  14. Jack Erbes

    Jack Erbes Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

    > I was more concerned about him using a GPS as a hat... you know... with all
    > the radio waves and such.

    The radio wave are already there now, without the GPS receiver. They've
    been bouncing off of his skull since the first satellite went up.

    Jack

    --
    Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
    (also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

  15. Phil Wheeler

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Jack Erbes wrote:
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >
    >> I was more concerned about him using a GPS as a hat... you know...
    >> with all the radio waves and such.

    > The radio wave are already there now, without the GPS receiver. They've
    > been bouncing off of his skull since the first satellite went up.

    Likely longer. For example, I live two miles from a 50KW AM BC station.

    But then I grew up downwind of Hanford, and many of my contemporaries
    have been done in by more agressive radiation-related disesases. So, no
    complaints.

    Phil

  16. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Various others have said to stuff the battery compartment with stuff.
    I'll chime in with what I do. Since I have several different NiMH
    rechargable battery brands (whatever was the highest rated at the
    time), I have to make up the difference in the compartment for several
    size batteries. The worst ones I have require me to use a plastic shim
    material normally used for lights and cyclometers. These also have the
    lowest ampherehour rating so I try to use them in other applications
    now. The newest ones only need a single layer of electrical tape to
    keep them in place. The ones in-between usually work fine with a piece
    of innertube. Placement is important for the shims, becuase it is very
    easy to tear out the locking hole and make matters worse. Garmin made
    the lock out of metal, but there is no metal piece to mate to on the
    GPS unit itself. I managed to mess it up on my first Vista, but due to
    the compass and altimeter not working I got a replacement that I've
    been more careful with. Put any material on the battery if you have
    several different brands/types.

    BTW: the constant vibration on handlebars will likely screw up your GPS
    over time. My second unit is starting to have strange lines show in the
    display, but if I give it a few taps they go away. Sure sign of a board
    starting to get loose.

    Eric

  17. Guest

    I had the same problem on my Etrex Vista and I stuffed some paper in there
    and it worked, but after a while the lid got looser, because the closing
    mechanisme wore down the plastic, as it was always under pressure. I then
    installed some double sticky tape, in the bottom of the battery compartment,
    that solved all problems.

    My new Vista C, doesn't have this problem ;o)

    Poul B-H

    "Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]00cwu.googlegroups.com...
    > Various others have said to stuff the battery compartment with stuff.
    > I'll chime in with what I do. Since I have several different NiMH
    > rechargable battery brands (whatever was the highest rated at the
    > time), I have to make up the difference in the compartment for several
    > size batteries. The worst ones I have require me to use a plastic shim
    > material normally used for lights and cyclometers. These also have the
    > lowest ampherehour rating so I try to use them in other applications
    > now. The newest ones only need a single layer of electrical tape to
    > keep them in place. The ones in-between usually work fine with a piece
    > of innertube. Placement is important for the shims, becuase it is very
    > easy to tear out the locking hole and make matters worse. Garmin made
    > the lock out of metal, but there is no metal piece to mate to on the
    > GPS unit itself. I managed to mess it up on my first Vista, but due to
    > the compass and altimeter not working I got a replacement that I've
    > been more careful with. Put any material on the battery if you have
    > several different brands/types.
    >
    > BTW: the constant vibration on handlebars will likely screw up your GPS
    > over time. My second unit is starting to have strange lines show in the
    > display, but if I give it a few taps they go away. Sure sign of a board
    > starting to get loose.
    >
    > Eric

  18. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> My unit NEVER powers down.

    > Family newsgroup, buddy.
    >
    > Bill "for the Squid" S.

    My particular unit is a Mike Alpha Papa/TOPO.
    Some models are coated with a water resistant surface......................

    Come on guys. I know you can get this. It's no fun if you have
    to explain.

    Marty

  19. Poul B-H

    Poul B-H Guest

    "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Marty wrote:
    > >
    > >> My unit NEVER powers down.

    > > Family newsgroup, buddy.
    > >
    > > Bill "for the Squid" S.
    > >

    > My particular unit is a Mike Alpha Papa/TOPO.
    > Some models are coated with a water resistant

    surface......................

    > Come on guys. I know you can get this. It's no fun if you have
    > to explain.

    OT ? this is satellite.nav, not stargazer.nav ;o)

    Poul

  20. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Poul B-H" <svar_i_gruppen> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Family newsgroup, buddy.
    >> >
    >> > Bill "for the Squid" S.
    >> >

    >> My particular unit is a Mike Alpha Papa/TOPO.
    >> Some models are coated with a water resistant

    >> Come on guys. I know you can get this. It's no fun if you have
    >> to explain.

    > OT ? this is satellite.nav, not stargazer.nav ;o)
    >
    > Poul

    Right. What was I thinking.