Garmin GPS -- slightly OT tech question

Mike Sparling

Guest
I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.

I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw routes,
etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the device.

I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers had
a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a dead
serial port.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA Mike

"Mike Sparling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:6v3pb.85106$e01.273693@attbi_s02...
> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different
OS's.
> One of the computers had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know
> the problem is not a dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike

Try this link. It has some very helpful info.

http://gpsinformation.net/winxphelp.htm

Gary

"Mike Sparling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:6v3pb.85106$e01.273693@attbi_s02...
> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different
OS's.
> One of the computers had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know
> the problem is not a dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike

What software are you trying to download into? Chris

Mike Sparling wrote:

> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.

What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....

Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download their patch

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

<snip snip>
>I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw routes,
>etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the device.
>
>I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers
>had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a
>dead serial port.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>TIA Mike

I don't know whether you can do it on your model, but have you tried toggling the NMEA mode
on/off/etc? You might also want to try experimenting with the baud rate.

MPD Blue spray painted on a boxcar:
> Mike Sparling wrote:
>
>> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>>
>> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
>> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the
>> device.
>
> What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
> like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....
>
> Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download
> their patch

I use topo Cd with a Garmin with no problems. Did you turn the GSP on?

penny

Mike Sparling wrote:
> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers
> had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a
> dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike

Is the interface set properly in the GPS for the SW you're using (usually Garmin-Garmin, but check
the SW)? Did you try rebooting or logging out and back in? MapSource seems to have a problem under
XP for me -- sometimes, it just hangs trying to read the serial line with the GPS.

David

"MPD Blue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Mike Sparling wrote:
>
> > I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
> >
> > I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with
my
> > computer to draw routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able
> > get any of my computers to recognize the device.
>
> What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
> like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....
>
> Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download
> their patch
>

> --
> John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
> http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Sorry, I didn't supply enough information. :)

I have DeLorme Topo 4.0. I also downloaded new software for the Geko from Garmin -- it had version
2.2 out of the box, and the newest version on the Garmin website is 2.4.

So, I have tried to have both DeLorme and the Garmin installer try to find the device, without
luck. I am going to try rebooting with the GPS plugged in and turned on, as per the link posted by
ctg (thanks!)

Any other ideas?

TIA

Mike