Garmin GPS -- slightly OT tech question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Sparling

I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.

I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw routes,
etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the device.

I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers had
a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a dead
serial port.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA Mike

"Mike Sparling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:6v3pb.85106$e01.273693@attbi_s02...
> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different
OS's.
> One of the computers had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know
> the problem is not a dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike
>
>

Try this link. It has some very helpful info.

http://gpsinformation.net/winxphelp.htm

Gary

"Mike Sparling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:6v3pb.85106$e01.273693@attbi_s02...
>
> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different
OS's.
> One of the computers had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know
> the problem is not a dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike

What software are you trying to download into? Chris

Mike Sparling wrote:

>
> the device.

What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....

Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download their patch

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

<snip snip>
>I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw routes,
>etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the device.
>
>I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers
>had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a
>dead serial port.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>TIA Mike
>

I don't know whether you can do it on your model, but have you tried toggling the NMEA mode
on/off/etc? You might also want to try experimenting with the baud rate.

MPD Blue spray painted on a boxcar:
> Mike Sparling wrote:
>
>> I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
>>
>> I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with my computer to draw
>> routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able to get any of my computers to recognize the
>> device.
>
> What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
> like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....
>
> Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download
> their patch

I use topo Cd with a Garmin with no problems. Did you turn the GSP on?

penny

Mike Sparling wrote:
>
> the device.
>
> I have used three different computers (all PC's) with three different OS's. One of the computers
> had a Palm hooked to the serial port, so, on that computer at least, I know the problem is not a
> dead serial port.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA Mike
>

Is the interface set properly in the GPS for the SW you're using (usually Garmin-Garmin, but check
the SW)? Did you try rebooting or logging out and back in? MapSource seems to have a problem under
XP for me -- sometimes, it just hangs trying to read the serial line with the GPS.

David

"MPD Blue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Mike Sparling wrote:
>
> > I only ask this here, as I know there are those that use GPS devices.
> >
> > I recently purchased a Garmin Geko, and would like to interface it with
my
> > computer to draw routes, etc. I have the cable, but have not been able
to
> > get any of my computers to recognize the device.
>
> What software package are you using ? You cannot just magically hook it up and expect to access it
> like it was an external drive, you need software to talk to it....
>
> Using map source I have no problems at all, using Delorme's topo 2.0 I need to download
> their patch
>
>
> --
> John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
> http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
>

Sorry, I didn't supply enough information. :)

I have DeLorme Topo 4.0. I also downloaded new software for the Geko from Garmin -- it had version
2.2 out of the box, and the newest version on the Garmin website is 2.4.

So, I have tried to have both DeLorme and the Garmin installer try to find the device, without
luck. I am going to try rebooting with the GPS plugged in and turned on, as per the link posted by
ctg (thanks!)

Any other ideas?

TIA

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.