Garmin MapSource software WITHOUT GPS

Neil Brooks

Guest
Didn't see this one covered on this forum.

I have a Garmin GPS. Like it a lot. But I've also been using its
mapping software, when needed, to plot out bike-friendly cycling
routes--for example: for riding buddies who don't know the routes yet.
You just put in points A&B, hit "go," copy them, paste them into MS
Notepad (or equiv) and print them out. Stuff 'em in a Ziploc bag and
you have your route. You can also "draw" the route you just took and
use it to calc your mileage ridden on an unplanned ride.

There's just a checkbox in the preferences for "Bicycle." When
selected, it avoids all the things you'd want avoided, and routes you
only where you'd want to be routed (steep hills aside <g>).

I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide bike-route
mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can do this, but I
can't think of any reason why the mapping software would NOT work as a
stand-alone piece.]

It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

or this: http://tinyurl.com/7ofq

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:46 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
>this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide bike-route
>mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can do this, but I
>can't think of any reason why the mapping software would NOT work as a
>stand-alone piece.]
>
>It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy way to
spam a newsgroup.

If you haven't already clicked on his link, then click below and you can
get to the page without Neil getting a commission:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW3TK0/

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:46 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
>> this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide
>> bike-route mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can
>> do this, but I can't think of any reason why the mapping software
>> would NOT work as a stand-alone piece.]
>>
>> It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

> And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
> anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy
> way to spam a newsgroup.

Is this true?

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:20:24 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:46 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
>>this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide bike-route
>>mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can do this, but I
>>can't think of any reason why the mapping software would NOT work as a
>>stand-alone piece.]
>>
>>It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

>And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
>anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy way to
>spam a newsgroup.

Wrong. I get squat.

I think it's reasonable to INQUIRE as to whether I have a financial
interest in this (I don't). I think it's rather UNreasonable to make
that sort of accusation without any basis.

Why would I have put up Garmin's site directly if I had an interest? I
just showed a particular site that had it cheaper.

>If you haven't already clicked on his link, then click below and you can
>get to the page without Neil getting a commission:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW3TK0/
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:33:07 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:46 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
>>> this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide
>>> bike-route mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can
>>> do this, but I can't think of any reason why the mapping software
>>> would NOT work as a stand-alone piece.]
>>>
>>> It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

>> And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
>> anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy
>> way to spam a newsgroup.

>Is this true?

Yes. After you click on that link look at the URL. In it is /ref=pd_bbs_1/,
which is the referrer id. After you have clicked on that link that referrer
gets a 4% commission for the next 24 hours, unless you click on another
referrer link, which supersedes the prior one.

>> If you haven't already clicked on his link, then click below and you
>> can get to the page without Neil getting a commission:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW3TK0/

This is all you need to share an amazon.com link.

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:27:27 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:20:24 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:46 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I never thought about the fact that--for about $100.00, you can buy
>>>this software ... WITHOUT the GPS ... and have a nationwide bike-route
>>>mapping tool. [I'm making an _assumption_ that you can do this, but I
>>>can't think of any reason why the mapping software would NOT work as a
>>>stand-alone piece.]
>>>
>>>It's this: http://tinyurl.com/l6u88

>>And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
>>anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy way to
>>spam a newsgroup.

>Wrong. I get squat.
>
>I think it's reasonable to INQUIRE as to whether I have a financial
>interest in this (I don't). I think it's rather UNreasonable to make
>that sort of accusation without any basis.

As I posted in my other article I have complete basis. As an Amazon.com
associate myself I know how the program works.

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:00:06 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:27:27 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
>>>anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy way to
>>>spam a newsgroup.

>>Wrong. I get squat.
>>
>>I think it's reasonable to INQUIRE as to whether I have a financial
>>interest in this (I don't). I think it's rather UNreasonable to make
>>that sort of accusation without any basis.

>As I posted in my other article I have complete basis. As an Amazon.com
>associate myself I know how the program works.

Well, you're flat-assed wrong, Don, so ... what can I tell ya?

I Googled the product name. I posted the Amazon link and the Garmin
link as the first and second links that came up.

If you're happy, though, then I guess that's all that counts, right?

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:57:55 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:33:07 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Don Wiss wrote:

>>> And Neil gets a commission if you click on that link and buy it, or
>>> anything else from amazon.com, for the next 24 hours. What a sleazy
>>> way to spam a newsgroup.

>>Is this true?

>Yes. After you click on that link look at the URL. In it is /ref=pd_bbs_1/,
>which is the referrer id. After you have clicked on that link that referrer
>gets a 4% commission for the next 24 hours, unless you click on another
>referrer link, which supersedes the prior one.
>
>>> If you haven't already clicked on his link, then click below and you
>>> can get to the page without Neil getting a commission:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW3TK0/

>This is all you need to share an amazon.com link.
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

So ... what you believe you can say with *certainty* is that
*somebody* gets a commission.

OTOH, I can say with *complete certainty* that it ain't me.

I've got a hundred bucks for you if you can prove it's me.

And ... I'll still have that hundred bucks for a long, long time.

I'll await your apology ... but I shan't hold my breath.

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:07:27 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:00:06 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
>wrote:

>>>Wrong. I get squat.
>>>
>>>I think it's reasonable to INQUIRE as to whether I have a financial
>>>interest in this (I don't). I think it's rather UNreasonable to make
>>>that sort of accusation without any basis.

>>As I posted in my other article I have complete basis. As an Amazon.com
>>associate myself I know how the program works.

>Well, you're flat-assed wrong, Don, so ... what can I tell ya?
>
>I Googled the product name. I posted the Amazon link and the Garmin
>link as the first and second links that came up.
>
>If you're happy, though, then I guess that's all that counts, right?

Here it is, Don. Might not convince you, but ... anybody else can try
it for themselves:

http://www.google.com/search?source...=GGLD,GGLD:2004-15,GGLD:en&q=garmin+mapsource

OR http://tinyurl.com/pwk3p

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:09:59 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:07:27 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>As I posted in my other article I have complete basis. As an Amazon.com
>>>associate myself I know how the program works.

>>Well, you're flat-assed wrong, Don, so ... what can I tell ya?

Sorry Neil. I am not wrong. What I can't prove is that /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is
you, but anyone can do a little research and can learn how amazon.com's
associates program works. And they will see that I'm right.

If /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is not you, then you should be more careful in posting
amazon.com links.

>>I Googled the product name. I posted the Amazon link and the Garmin
>>link as the first and second links that came up.
>>
>>If you're happy, though, then I guess that's all that counts, right?

>Here it is, Don. Might not convince you, but ... anybody else can try
>it for themselves:
>
>http://www.google.com/search?source...=GGLD,GGLD:2004-15,GGLD:en&q=garmin+mapsource

I don't know what that link shows. It doesn't show the link that the
http://tinyurl.com/l6u8 expands to, and that is the one that pays a
commission to /ref=pd_bbs_1/.

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:09:59 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Well, you're flat-assed wrong, Don, so ... what can I tell ya?

> Sorry Neil. I am not wrong.

Actually, Don ... ********. You are wrong. Whether or not you know
that is beyond my control.

>What I can't prove is that /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is
> you,

Then drop it, look at my multi-year posting history here, and let it
go.

> but anyone can do a little research and can learn how amazon.com's
> associates program works. And they will see that I'm right.

No, Don. The most they could do is agree with your faulty conclusion.
They could not "see that you're right" because (broken record here?)
you're wrong.

Flat ... assed ... wrong.

> If /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is not you, then you should be more careful in posting
> amazon.com links.

Because you'll jump on it accusing me of spamming the newsgroup? Nah.
Thanks, though.

> >>I Googled the product name. I posted the Amazon link and the Garmin
> >>link as the first and second links that came up.
> >>
> >>If you're happy, though, then I guess that's all that counts, right?

> >Here it is, Don. Might not convince you, but ... anybody else can try
> >it for themselves:
> >
> >http://www.google.com/search?source...=GGLD,GGLD:2004-15,GGLD:en&q=garmin+mapsource

> I don't know what that link shows. It doesn't show the link that the
> http://tinyurl.com/l6u8 expands to, and that is the one that pays a
> commission to /ref=pd_bbs_1/.

I posted the Google search I use. I'm done arguing with you. The $100
offer stands. The only thing you accomplished here, IMO, is to a)
wrongfully accuse, b) look like an ass, and c) give Bill Sornson a
much-needed orgasm.

[email protected] wrote:
> Don Wiss wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:09:59 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> Sorry Neil. I am not wrong.

> Actually, Don ... ********. You are wrong. Whether or not you know
> that is beyond my control.
>
>> What I can't prove is that /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is
>> you,

> Then drop it, look at my multi-year posting history here, and let it
> go.
>
>> but anyone can do a little research and can learn how amazon.com's
>> associates program works. And they will see that I'm right.

> No, Don. The most they could do is agree with your faulty conclusion.
> They could not "see that you're right" because (broken record here?)
> you're wrong.
>
> Flat ... assed ... wrong.
>
>> If /ref=pd_bbs_1/ is not you, then you should be more careful in
>> posting amazon.com links.

> Because you'll jump on it accusing me of spamming the newsgroup? Nah.
> Thanks, though.

>>> Here it is, Don. Might not convince you, but ... anybody else can
>>> try it for themselves:
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?source...=GGLD,GGLD:2004-15,GGLD:en&q=garmin+mapsource

>> I don't know what that link shows. It doesn't show the link that the
>> http://tinyurl.com/l6u8 expands to, and that is the one that pays a
>> commission to /ref=pd_bbs_1/.

> I posted the Google search I use. I'm done arguing with you. The
> $100 offer stands. The only thing you accomplished here, IMO, is to
> a) wrongfully accuse, b) look like an ass, and c) give Bill Sornson a
> much-needed orgasm.

As much as you seem to dwell on that particular subject, it gave me no such
pleasure.

The reason I asked if it's true is because it didn't sound like something
you'd do. (What with your aversion to earning money and all <eg> )

Seems to me that Don owes you an apology. However, it's rather fitting that
you'd be on the /receiving/ end of a false accusation for a change, so screw
it.

Flame on, Don! LOL

On 1 Jul 2006 17:44:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I posted the Google search I use. I'm done arguing with you. The $100
>offer stands. The only thing you accomplished here, IMO, is to a)
>wrongfully accuse, b) look like an ass, and c) give Bill Sornson a
>much-needed orgasm.

I am not an ass. But I have investigated this more. The first thing I did
was to see if TinyURL added something, so that they would get credit. They
don't. I then studied the way Amazon works when you take up their
suggestions. I've learned that they use the same format as an associate
account number to show from where on their site you clicked to get to that
page. The link from your google search was not the link you posted. You
went to a page and then clicked on one of the "Better Together" or other
suggestions. Amazon then added the ref=pd_bbs_1 to show where you came
from.

So you are not a spammer. But please learn to shorten amazon.com links to
the bare minimum. If I could see exactly what you entered into TinyURL, I
would find your amazon.com account number. I don't, as Amazon checks the
cookie and swaps out your account with the one it finds on the machine. But
if it was a clean machine, it would then show your name at the top of the
page.

Don Wiss wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2006 17:44:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>You
> went to a page and then clicked on one of the "Better Together" or other
> suggestions.

No. That's not what I did.

If you like your version of the story better than the truth, please
persist with it, or embellish it, as you see fit.

I'm pretty comfortable with the truth, so I'll stick with it.

What I *did* (odd as this may sound) was exactly what I *said* I did: I
entered "Garmin MapSource" (or similar) into Google and clicked
"Search." I then posted the first two links that the search returned
(sounding familiar yet?).

> So you are not a spammer. But please learn to shorten amazon.com links to
> the bare minimum.

Gosh, Don ... I'll add it to the list. If I can get to it by the fall,
rest assured that I will. Little busy right now.

> If I could see exactly what you entered into TinyURL, I
> would find your amazon.com account number.

MY "amazon.com account number??"

Still think you got me, but that you can't come up with the evidence?

My story is 100% true. I'm not financially involved in this *at all*.

Get over it.

Think it's time I take a little break from this ng. Those who left
(and whom I miss) were sorely right: this place has changed ...
markedly ... and NOT for the better.

Off to the Tour then......

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 1 Jul 2006 17:44:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I posted the Google search I use. I'm done arguing with you. The $100
>>offer stands. The only thing you accomplished here, IMO, is to a)
>>wrongfully accuse, b) look like an ass, and c) give Bill Sornson a
>>much-needed orgasm.

> I am not an ass. But I have investigated this more. The first thing I did
> was to see if TinyURL added something, so that they would get credit. They
> don't. I then studied the way Amazon works when you take up their
> suggestions. I've learned that they use the same format as an associate
> account number to show from where on their site you clicked to get to that
> page. The link from your google search was not the link you posted. You
> went to a page and then clicked on one of the "Better Together" or other
> suggestions. Amazon then added the ref=pd_bbs_1 to show where you came
> from.
>
> So you are not a spammer. But please learn to shorten amazon.com links to
> the bare minimum. If I could see exactly what you entered into TinyURL, I
> would find your amazon.com account number. I don't, as Amazon checks the
> cookie and swaps out your account with the one it finds on the machine.
> But
> if it was a clean machine, it would then show your name at the top of the
> page.

That was the worst apology that I have ever read. Telling him to "please
learn to shorten amazon.com links to the bare minimum" is extremely
condescending and that you owe him a real apology.

Something alone the lines of:

I was totally wrong and sincerely apologize to you for saying that you were
a spammer and trying to trick the members of the group. Before I opened my
big mouth I should have done a better investigation and will certainly learn
from this.