Garmin opinions please

ldtmcfadden

Jul 5, 2007
Forgive me, as i am sure that this has been asked before...I am thinking about upgrading to a Garmin Edge and was hoping for some constructive feedback. I like the 305, and when i think that i am convinced to get it, i start to think that maybe it is worth while to spend the extra money and get the 705.
Opinions please....
Thanks.

Depends what you want to do. I believe the 705 has more features but both can run maps (?)

I have the 705, which i thought would be cool for getting directions in unfamiliar places.

However when i based myself in Paris for a month the Garmin was too slow at keeping up with the required turns and directions to get out of the city. I suspect it's probably better out in the countryside where it has more time to think, but you're less likely to get lost in the countryside than in the city.

Aparently you are supposed to be able to program a particular route and get ti to play back to you as you ride but I have yet to figure that one out.

If I had my time over again I'd go for the new edge 500. All the good features of the 705 (except maps) in a smaller and cheaper package, plus you can still program a route into it (from computer).

I have both a 305 and a 705.

I keep the 305 at our vacation home in Arizona. The 305 has a number of attractive features which make it a favourite for me.

Firstly, it is smaller and therefor takes up a lot less real estate on the handlebar than the 305 does.

The 705 has, in my view, two main selling points. You use a power meter and want to be able to use just one measuring device ( I have used the 705 with my power tap and it works very well for this - though my PT is now listed for sale). The other thing the 705 excels at is mapping, if you need this, and I am not convinced that most of us do.

The 305, only in my experience, updates on screen information much faster than does the 705 ( grade and elevation data ) and is MUCH smaller.

Having used both - my recommendation, FWIW, is that unless you are using a power meter, or absolutely NEED the mapping, get either the 305 or the new 500.

I don't have the choice really. I have 11 bikes. I do not feel like replacing the mounts on 11 bikes. The 305 and 705 use the same mounts.

I personally have a 705.
Have found it be a very good unit.

I have the full maps feature, which you can put directions in and it will show you where to go, when you need to make a turn an arrow pops up.
It doesnt make a noise or speak, so you need to look at the screen fairly reguarly which can be a pain. Would be good if it at least beeped when a turn is coming up so you know to look at the screen.

Other then that, i think the 705 is great. Havent had a problem with it all.

But as above, looking at the new 500 that is coming out, if you dont really need the map feature, the 500 is a better option

ldtmcfadden said:
Forgive me, as i am sure that this has been asked before...I am thinking about upgrading to a Garmin Edge and was hoping for some constructive feedback. I like the 305, and when i think that i am convinced to get it, i start to think that maybe it is worth while to spend the extra money and get the 705.
Opinions please....
Thanks.

I own the Edge 500. It's my first GPS computer and so far it's been a dream. If you have the moolah to spend on the 705 go for it. Though it doesn't really does much more for the money that it charges. I love the Edge 500 and will swear by it. It's smaller and tidier on the stem! I have a cell phone to get me home incase I get lost so I have no need for the maps in my computer. The computer on the 705 is exactly the same on the 500. It doesn't display any greater technical data! Good luck with your purchase!