Garmin releases new GPS cycling computer

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Briguy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Briguy

Briguy New Member

Looks very very cool. Garmin is going outside their company for the chipset on this one. Supposed to be very accurate and give you GPS coverage under heavy tree coverage, tall buildings, and moutains.

Link: Garmin Edge

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

Looks very impressive at only 88 grams. I've got a basic Etrex, about 3 years old. Don't ride with it too often, but it's great when exploring new routes out in the boonies, or hiking in the woods.

The incorporation of the barometric altimeter could be a big improvement. I've been a bit disappointed with the GPS altitude; just not good enough or fast enough for measuring the hills.

Since you're located in Overland Park, have to ask if you work for Garmin?

3. Briguy

Briguy New Member

I know someone that does. This new chip set for the GPS reciever is bar none hands down a huge improvement. You can get a signal lock inside a building with no windows with this bad boy. One thing that I really really like is the ability to run a previously recorded course to see how I stack up time/speed wise. Information is limited on this one and I only have access to what you can read on the site. I've read on some sat nav groups people upset with the fact that it does not have detailed street maps on it. The cost of such a thing would put the unit outside of its target price range.