Garmin's New Rear View Radar Warning System

I find this thing to be gadgetry, if a car is coming along at 55 mph and suddenly your warning thing goes off what are you to do? ride off the pavement assuming there's anywhere to ride off of? What if you did that and you crash doing so and the other driver corrected anyways and would have missed you? There is a lot that can go wrong using this device, I won't ever buy it. If you're that worried about being rearended save $180 and get a mirror.

"...what are you to do?"

I keep getting a mental sound image of a klaxon sounding and an authoritative voice commanding me to, "Dive! Dive! Dive!".

"If you're that worried about being rearended save $180 and get a mirror."

But...but...KLAXON!!! You ain't going to get the 'AAAOOOOOGGGAAAAHHHHH!' sound.

"I am not real pleased on Garmin right now."

Meh. Garmin is da debil. Just like Microsoft and Apple. But, they're the bestest debil so I use a Garmin.

Say...have you seen the new live linked Strava Segment 520 with a countdown launch to the start of that segment up ahead? Awesome! Now I can get the drop on my cyber training punk partners! And...it integrates with the new radar setup AND shitmaNO Di2 ****. What more can a twenty-something, tech savvy hipster roadie want?

****! I bought a 510 over the 500 to avoid obsolete products. I failed!

Overall, I like Garmin stuff, but only because Campagnolo doesn't make an EPS Super Record bike computer. Yet.

The new computers are cool **** and the radar will make tourons in Malaysia more secure. Michigan and Ohio...not so much.

I agree with @Froze, that radar is more of a gadgetry. But in fairness to the inventor, he is creative and his liking for bikes is obvious. This is similar to the sensor of the car at the back. Our Ford Escape has a sensor at the back so when you are on reverse, it will sound a warning that you are just 1 foot away from an object.

But there is one sensor that is almost a duplicate of that Garmin thing. The CCTV in the car which a colleague installed in his old car. It has a monitor on the panel so you can see what's behind your car.

It is very cool idea, can be useful but it will need to detect a car coming from very far away, so that you have enough time to react to it, Do you guys record your rides? Incase something like that were to happen then you gave evidence.

Quote by Dee:
"Incase something like that were to happen then you gave evidence."

Given a Garmin GPS computer, the Garmin VIRB camera system front & rear, the Garmin Varia rear radar system and the assistance of an accident reconstruction team and a handful of expert witnesses...I'm relatively certain JH For The Defense could win that case!

Really, the new Garmin STRAVA-enabled computers look to be equipped with features young riders will enjoy using.

It looks like the 510 production is discontinued and after only about a year of sales is being completely replaced by the newer 520 model:

cf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-520/prod166370.html

I guess I'll have to get one of these and put the 510 on my Emonda / shitmaNO.

DCRainmaker's review of the Garmin 520:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html

Reactions: steve
The rear tail light is useless in the daytime, note how many LED's there are, you can't have 8 LEd's with each putting out at least 60 lumens each, that would be required for visibility in the daytime, for a total of 480 lumens due to the current draw on the batteries. So how many lumens does the light have total? 40, which means each LED is just 5 lumens, a total washout in daylight and barely visible at night, so little at night that a car wouldn't even notice it until at least 3/4ths of the LED's let up which by then the driver is darn near on top of the bike.

Quote by Froze:
"...by then the driver is darn near on top of the bike."

That radar unit?

It doubles as a fire guidance / aiming unit for a GAU-18 Mini-gun. The car is literally shredded if it get's closer than 1 meter from the rider.

Note: Batteries not included and Mini-gun sold separately.

Great ,I will opt for a 10 gauge shotgun option. Take out the car and give me a boost like a JATO bottle.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Froze:
"...by then the driver is darn near on top of the bike."

That radar unit?

It doubles as a fire guidance / aiming unit for a GAU-18 Mini-gun. The car is literally shredded if it get's closer than 1 meter from the rider.

Note: Batteries not included and Mini-gun sold separately.

If it's a fire guidance aiming unit for a GAU-18 mini gun then run don't walk and buy that thing from Garmin, then you need to do is to procure the mini gun off the black market and you're ready to ride without fear of anything...though you will need a trailer for the mini gun.

Nice and innovative but it's not really gonna stop collisions. If someone wants to rear end you, they'll do it. All this gadget is gonna do is give you a little warning so you can prepare!

It's a pretty cool gadget, and I'm sure some riders may make use of this. I'm just a fairly low-tech cyclist when I'm out there in the open. I know all the routes in my area and know how to stay in alert in various traffic conditions. This will be more of a hindrance than benefit my riding, but that's just me.

But couldn't you just quickly look behind you or get mirrors on your bike?

Not always...in city commuting at speed the craptastic roads, opening car doors, brain dead pedestrians and junkies bent on robbing your have to be looked out for foremost. Traffic approaching from the rear is secondary under many conditions...such as fast descending and using all the lane, etc.

And there are those with physical issues such as a fused neck or such that could benefit from it. Same with the deaf or those that do not like mirrors for one reason or another.

I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon. I think a helmet mirror makes more sense for most people.

I also think a helmet mirror is better than the radar. Can't understand why any cyclist on the road would want to ride without a mirror, but there are still a few holdouts here who claim they can turn around and look just as well. I use them all the time in my car, had two mirrors on my motorcycles, and feel they are even more essential to safety on my bike since cars are passing me much more often.

A couple of my buddies don't use mirrors, but now have bought the Garmin radar units. I can see the value of the radar as an early-warning, to tell me to check my mirror to determine that the car behind sees me and is moving over to pass. I'd think the radar could enhance safety combined with a helmet mirror, but for me they aren't a replacement. I'd say learn to use a mirror first.

And of course a bright flashing light is still needed. The DiNotte is popular here. It's pricey, but they are bright enough to be seen from 1/4 mile away on a sunny day, and seem to be very reliable and long-lasting. I've had mine for 6 years without any problems.