Garnishes - PING: Michael

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:
    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When we entertain I'll make a decent meal. It's usually nothing real
    > flashy. However I have learned one thing. Garnish to the hilt ;)

    Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the

  2. Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
    panties and posted news:[email protected]:

    > Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> When we entertain I'll make a decent meal. It's usually nothing real
    >> flashy. However I have learned one thing. Garnish to the hilt ;)

    > Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    I'm telling ya', slalks of chive, cherry tomatoes and some fresh parsley do
    it every time. Those garnishes enhance the dishes and really make it look
    nice. Besides, you can eat them.

    Michael <- Took the chives from Jack Schidt ;)

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  3. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:01:16 -0700, "D.Currie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When we entertain I'll make a decent meal. It's usually nothing real
    >>> flashy. However I have learned one thing. Garnish to the hilt ;)

    >> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    >If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my thing. I
    >don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    my family feel they're being served something special.

    serene

  4. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> When we entertain I'll make a decent meal. It's usually nothing real
    >> flashy. However I have learned one thing. Garnish to the hilt ;)

    > Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my thing. I
    don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    If it's an ingredient in a dish or condiments, then yes, sometimes I'll
    artfully arrange things.

    It's really hit or miss. Sometimes it's fresh veggies on a bed of greens
    with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and sometimes it's just salad in a
    bowl.

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    serene wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:01:16 -0700, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:[email protected]
    >>> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:

    >>> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    >> If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my
    >> thing. I don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    > I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    > whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    > do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    > my family feel they're being served something special.
    >
    > serene

    I use lemon wedges for fish because I like lemon juice on my fish. Paprika
    enhances the appearance of something otherwise bland-looking, like baked or
    broiled fish, too. I happen to like eating sprigs of parsley so if I have
    some fresh I throw it on the plate, otherwise the dried stuff also helps
    with the appearance (depending on the dish, of course).

    Jill

  6. "D.Currie" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When we entertain I'll make a decent meal. It's usually nothing
    >>> real flashy. However I have learned one thing. Garnish to the hilt
    >>> ;)

    >> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    > If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my
    > thing. I don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.
    >
    > If it's an ingredient in a dish or condiments, then yes, sometimes
    > I'll artfully arrange things.
    >
    > It's really hit or miss. Sometimes it's fresh veggies on a bed of
    > greens with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and sometimes it's just
    > salad in a bowl.

    I don't consider balsamic viniagrette a garnish. That's just me. To me a
    garnish is just that... a garnish. It's a plate decoration to me ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  7. serene <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:01:16 -0700, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>message news:[email protected]
    >>> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:

    >>> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    >>If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my
    >>thing. I don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    > I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    > whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    > do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    > my family feel they're being served something special.
    >
    > serene

    Ohhh... I use Cilantro when it's home grown. Paprika I use sometimes.
    Yikes, now that I think about it I use lots of stuff.

    Michael <- Uses lots of lemon with fish

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  8. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:01:16 -0700, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:

    >>> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    >>If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my thing. I
    >>don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    > I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    > whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    > do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    > my family feel they're being served something special.

    I'd consider those ingredients in the dish. They add flavor as well as
    enhancing presentation.

    Donna

  9. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:41:49 -0700, "D.Currie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:01:16 -0700, "D.Currie"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my thing. I
    >>>don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.

    >> I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    >> whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    >> do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    >> my family feel they're being served something special.
    >>

    >I'd consider those ingredients in the dish. They add flavor as well as
    >enhancing presentation.

    But sometimes, at least for me, they're not part of the dish unless I
    add them, and I add them more for looks than taste, but I see what
    you're saying. I guess it's a fine line.

    serene

  10. Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > I don't consider balsamic viniagrette a garnish. That's just me. To
    > me a garnish is just that... a garnish. It's a plate decoration to me
    > ;)
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > --
    > "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years
    > she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has
    > never been found."

    How do you feel about coulees? Say raspberry or strawberry squirted in zig-
    zag pattern over a blond brownie or coffee cake?

    --
    -Alan

  11. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:41:49 -0700, "D.Currie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> I do, or lemon wedges, or sprinkles of minced cilantro, or paprika, or
    >>> whatever seems like it will help with the color/presentation. I don't
    >>> do it all the time, but fairly frequently. It takes a minute and makes
    >>> my family feel they're being served something special.
    >>>

    >>I'd consider those ingredients in the dish. They add flavor as well as
    >>enhancing presentation.

    > But sometimes, at least for me, they're not part of the dish unless I
    > add them, and I add them more for looks than taste, but I see what
    > you're saying. I guess it's a fine line.
    >
    > serene

    In my mind, a garnish is like the restaurant sprig of parsley that no one
    eats. If you chop up the parsley and put it on top of the food, that's a
    different story.

    Donna

  12. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:28:05 -0700, "D.Currie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In my mind, a garnish is like the restaurant sprig of parsley that no one
    >eats.

    Heh. I do.

    serene

  13. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "D.Currie" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:[email protected]
    >>> Dude! C'mon, tell!! You said this:

    >>> Let's hear it. I'm a slacker with garnishes.

    >> If garnishes means just for presentation, then no, that's not my
    >> thing. I don't do sprigs of parsley or curls of orange peel.
    >>
    >> If it's an ingredient in a dish or condiments, then yes, sometimes
    >> I'll artfully arrange things.
    >>
    >> It's really hit or miss. Sometimes it's fresh veggies on a bed of
    >> greens with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and sometimes it's just
    >> salad in a bowl.

    > I don't consider balsamic viniagrette a garnish. That's just me. To me a
    > garnish is just that... a garnish. It's a plate decoration to me ;)

    Like I said, I don't do garnishes. If I'm not supposed to eat it, I don't
    want it on the plate. If I can eat it, I don't consider it a garnish, it's
    part of the dish.

    But I'm not opposed to "presenting" the dish with things artfully arranged.
    I've even been known to make radish roses on occasion :)

    Donna

  14. D.Currie wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > But I'm not opposed to "presenting" the dish with things artfully
    > arranged. I've even been known to make radish roses on occasion :)
    >
    > Donna

    Would smell the same with another name.

    --
    -Alan

  15. Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> I don't consider balsamic viniagrette a garnish. That's just me. To
    >> me a garnish is just that... a garnish. It's a plate decoration to
    >> me ;)
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years
    >> she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has
    >> never been found."
    >>

    > How do you feel about coulees? Say raspberry or strawberry squirted in
    > zig- zag pattern over a blond brownie or coffee cake?

    To me it's a garnish but I love coulees. I use squirt bottles for it.

    Michael < loves strawberry coulee

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  16. Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > D.Currie wrote on 18 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> But I'm not opposed to "presenting" the dish with things artfully
    >> arranged. I've even been known to make radish roses on occasion :)
    >>
    >> Donna
    >>

    > Would smell the same with another name.

    Oh hell... I'm not fancy ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:[email protected]:

    > > How do you feel about coulees? Say raspberry or strawberry squirted in
    > > zig- zag pattern over a blond brownie or coffee cake?
    > >

    > To me it's a garnish but I love coulees. I use squirt bottles for it.
    >
    > Michael < loves strawberry coulee

    Coulis. Do you cook it or just puree fruit? Strain seeds? Thicken it?
    (A coulee is something else entirely. "-)
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the
    'Hood

  18. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> Michael < loves strawberry coulee

    > Coulis. Do you cook it or just puree fruit? Strain seeds? Thicken it?
    > (A coulee is something else entirely. "-)

    I've been giggling away at the thought of Michael putting
    coulee on his plate.

    nancy

  19. Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
    panties and posted news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >> > How do you feel about coulees? Say raspberry or strawberry squirted in
    >> > zig- zag pattern over a blond brownie or coffee cake?
    >> >

    >> To me it's a garnish but I love coulees. I use squirt bottles for it.
    >>
    >> Michael < loves strawberry coulee

    > Coulis. Do you cook it or just puree fruit? Strain seeds? Thicken it?
    > (A coulee is something else entirely. "-)

    I usually cook it. If it's seeded I'll strain it. I don't normally thicken
    it. I decorate plates with a coulee. I squeeze it around and make a design
    on it.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  20. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>> Michael < loves strawberry coulee

    >> Coulis. Do you cook it or just puree fruit? Strain seeds? Thicken it?
    >> (A coulee is something else entirely. "-)

    > I've been giggling away at the thought of Michael putting
    > coulee on his plate.
    >
    > nancy

    Gawd... my spelling is horrid.

    Michael <- Totally humiliated