Gary Fisher 29er... upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Winegeek, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Winegeek

Winegeek New Member

Hello-- I have an '07 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er, which I like a great deal. It's stock outfitted, with the following:
    Shimano Deore rear derailleur & shifters & front derailleur | Shimano M442 Octalink 42/32/22 crank | Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes w/ 6" rotors |
    Shimano M475 disc hubs + Bontrager Ranger 29 Disc rims + 14G Stainless Steel spokes | Bontrager Jones XR 29x2.25x2.2 tires

I'm already upgrading the seatpost, which others have posted about having problems with. Where else should I go first? I was thinking brakes, but maybe drivetrain?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Tags:

2. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

unless you're: a) having issues with the wheelset; or b)looking to race the thing, i wouldn't sweat the wheels. tires can be upgraded easily enough, but it's a personal decision as to whether you want to get the life out of the old set.

bb5's may not have the rep of bb7, but they are avid, so i don't see an issue there, either.

the first thing I would do is go after that drivetrain; X.7 is a sweet upgrade from deore, and you can still use the deore front if you like. but sram is the way to go for mtb reliability. you'll need to keep shifters & rear der as a matched set, as the two manufacturers don't mix (although sram does make shim-compatible stuff, it's not as good as the straight sram).

3. ride4him

ride4him New Member

If your having problems with anything then upgrade it. Otherwise wait for something to break then upgrade that. I have a Trek 6000 and so far the only changes I've made are the saddle and the tires, but I am thinking about changing the handlebars because the stock ones just dont fit me. If it aint broke dont fix it.