gary fisher marlin opinions

Kb

Guest
Getting back into the bike thing after an 8 year hiatus (marriage, kids, etc). Last bike I bought
was in 1992, Diamond Back Apex which was $800 not including additional front suspension ($400).
Don't need a psycho race machine, just something to cruise around on with occasional stints in the
dirt. Was considering a Trek 4500, but my local bike shop said the Fisher Marlin was better and only
$10 more. Any experiences with the Marlin???? Looking forward to getting back into the dirt.

"kb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Getting back into the bike thing after an 8 year hiatus (marriage, kids, etc). Last bike I bought
> was in 1992, Diamond Back Apex which was $800
not
> including additional front suspension ($400). Don't need a psycho race machine, just something to
> cruise around on with occasional stints in the dirt. Was considering a Trek 4500, but my local
> bike shop said the Fisher Marlin was better and only $10 more. Any experiences with the Marlin????
> Looking forward to getting back into the dirt.

Yeah, the Fisher Marlin looks like a nice entry-level bike. The Genesis geometry is a plus - much
better than Trek geometry, IMO. Good choice. The 2004 deep blue paint scheme is beautiful. If I were
in the market, the Marlin would be high on my list (next to the Kona Cinder Cone, which I believe is
more expensive.)

One possible caveat is that on entry-level bikes, the shock forks often lack effective damping. Try
the Marlin for yourself, and let us know what you think of the ride. I have an older Manitou
entry-level fork (Magnum R), and I really like it. Plenty of damping, 3 inches of travel. It's
perfect for what I do. My 2002 Marzocchi MXR Bomber, by comparison, has too little damping and too
much travel (110mm = 4.5"). It does take big hits very well, though.

Looking forward to your test ride report (TRR?)

Cheers,

-Barry

B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2Bk5b.341673$Ho3.50744@sccrnsc03...

<wordectomy>

> My 2002 Marzocchi MXR Bomber, by comparison, has too little damping and too much travel (110mm
> = 4.5").

Really? Mine seems to have plenty of damping, even setroughly mid-way (where it stays for the
most part). You could try going from the rec. 7.5 wt oil to 10 wt - that'd put your damping range
up a notch.

For when I need less travel, or for when I find it detrimental (like if I'm on road), I just crank
the pre-load all the way up. Works for me.

> It does take big hits very well, though.

Indeed they do - I've gone through all the travel on these forks many times, and never once felt
like I've bottomed them out (although I _know_ I have).

Shaun aRe

Thanks for the input. Time to go dump some coin. Will let you know how it works out.

"B. Bargain" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2Bk5b.341673$Ho3.50744@sccrnsc03>...
> "kb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Getting back into the bike thing after an 8 year hiatus (marriage, kids, etc). Last bike I
> > bought was in 1992, Diamond Back Apex which was $800
> not
> > including additional front suspension ($400). Don't need a psycho race machine, just something
> > to cruise around on with occasional stints in the dirt. Was considering a Trek 4500, but my
> > local bike shop said the Fisher Marlin was better and only $10 more. Any experiences with the
> > Marlin???? Looking forward to getting back into the dirt.

Do yourself a favor, don't listen to Barry Bargain. I truly believe he doesn't ride, but instead
just shops for bikes/parts. Test ride as many bikes as you can in your price range, don't get hung
up on brand names, and buy what fits you and your needs the best. Buying into gf's "genesis"
geometry is just as bad as buying into any other buzzword ********.

JD