Gary Fisher Sugar 4 or Trek Fuel 80?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tommy, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Guest

Hi,

I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it to
    bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding up
    very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a better
    bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going to fall
    apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found is the two
    I mentioned above.

I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    questions:

1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?

Tommy,

Tags:

2. ..::Tbf::..

..::Tbf::.. Guest

--
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.
    >
    > Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it
    > to bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding
    > up very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a
    > better bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going
    > to fall apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found
    > is the two I mentioned above.
    >
    > I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    > 3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    > 4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?
    >
    > Tommy,

GF between the two, but I would get a Jamis dakar for $750 and spend the rest of the cash on gear

3. Penny S.

Penny S. Guest

Tommy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

new bike buying faq http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

4. Baxter

Baxter Guest

> Hi, I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    >
    > Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it
    > to bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding
    > up very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a
    > better bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going
    > to fall apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found
    >
    > I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    >
    > Tommy,

Hiya, In spite of them sharing a lot of heritage (same parent company, many comperable parts) they
    ride very differently. Ride them both and see what feels better. Try a bunch in that price range and
    see if there's a best fit for you.

Greg

5. Jd

Jd Guest

[email protected] (Tommy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

No, cheap full suspension bikes are just that, cheap. Crummy parts, and inferior
    design/fabrication/materials will only make you spend even more money to replace.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A good frame can be built up better with good parts
    than an inferior frame.

Go test ride some hardtails, like Marin or Specialized.

Sheldon Brown's website has good info, but you would be better off getting a good book like Leonard
    Zinn's. Depending on the web is e-tarded.

JD

6. Ctg

Ctg Guest

"Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

You can get a kick ass hardtail for a grand. Or even less and buy some other goodies with the left
    over cash.
    --
    Chris

7. Chris

Chris Guest

"Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    > questions:
    >
    >
    > Tommy,

Even though I own a Sugar, and love it, you should know you're really limiting your choices if your
    only shopping at a store selling Trek's bikes (I bet they carry LeMond road bikes there...Trek and
    Fisher are like Ford and Mercury, Tommy). Do more shopping around - look at hardtails like the
    people above mentioned. For the mostly commuting/barely off-raod riding you seem to be doing, Sugar
    and Fuel rears aren't really active enough that you'd benefit from the suspension much. You'd
    certainly benefit more with a nice hardtail - a great frame with nice parts all around. I agree with
    JD about Marin selling nice bikes at great prices (especially since my shop is a Marin dealer) but I
    could take or leave Specialized. My best advice to you: look at hardtail bikes, you will get much
    more for your $1K, and go to more than one LBS. Ride the bikes a LOT before you buy.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.