Gary Fisher Sugar 4 or Trek Fuel 80?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tommy, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Tommy

    Tommy Guest

    Hi,

    I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

    Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it to
    bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding up
    very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a better
    bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going to fall
    apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found is the two
    I mentioned above.

    I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    questions:

    1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?

    Tommy,

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.
    >
    > Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it
    > to bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding
    > up very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a
    > better bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going
    > to fall apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found
    > is the two I mentioned above.
    >
    > I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    > 3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    > 4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?
    >
    > Tommy,

    GF between the two, but I would get a Jamis dakar for $750 and spend the rest of the cash on gear

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Tommy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

    new bike buying faq http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

  4. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    > Hi, I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.
    >
    > Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it
    > to bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding
    > up very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a
    > better bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going
    > to fall apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found
    > is the two I mentioned above.
    >
    > I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    > 3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    > 4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?
    >
    > Tommy,

    Hiya, In spite of them sharing a lot of heritage (same parent company, many comperable parts) they
    ride very differently. Ride them both and see what feels better. Try a bunch in that price range and
    see if there's a best fit for you.

    Greg

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Tommy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 1. Is this the right type of bike for me?

    No, cheap full suspension bikes are just that, cheap. Crummy parts, and inferior
    design/fabrication/materials will only make you spend even more money to replace.

    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?

    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A good frame can be built up better with good parts
    than an inferior frame.

    > 3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?

    Go test ride some hardtails, like Marin or Specialized.

    > 4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?

    Sheldon Brown's website has good info, but you would be better off getting a good book like Leonard
    Zinn's. Depending on the web is e-tarded.

    JD

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

    You can get a kick ass hardtail for a grand. Or even less and buy some other goodies with the left
    over cash.
    --
    Chris
    ________________

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to mountain biking, and I am trying to decide if I should get the Gary Fisher
    > Sugar 4 or the Trek Fuel 80. I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.
    >
    > Currently I have a Fuji Sunfire (~$260). It's great for communting to work, but when use it
    > to bike in the woods on the weekends, I begin to realize that the Fuji Sunfire is not holding
    > up very well when I bike on dirt roads, especially when I go over rocks. I want to get a
    > better bike that I could ride on dirt roads with rocks without feeling that the bike is going
    > to fall apart. I have decided to set my budget to around $1000, and the best bike I've found
    > is the two I mentioned above.
    >
    > I know very litte about mountain biking, so I'll appreciate if you could answer the following
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this the right type of bike for me?
    > 2. Will I need to any parts for the two bike I mentioned? If so, what parts will it be, and why?
    > 3. Is there other bikes you recommend at the $1000 price range?
    > 4. You know any good websites that has info on maintaining a mountain bike?
    >
    > Tommy,

    Even though I own a Sugar, and love it, you should know you're really limiting your choices if your
    only shopping at a store selling Trek's bikes (I bet they carry LeMond road bikes there...Trek and
    Fisher are like Ford and Mercury, Tommy). Do more shopping around - look at hardtails like the
    people above mentioned. For the mostly commuting/barely off-raod riding you seem to be doing, Sugar
    and Fuel rears aren't really active enough that you'd benefit from the suspension much. You'd
    certainly benefit more with a nice hardtail - a great frame with nice parts all around. I agree with
    JD about Marin selling nice bikes at great prices (especially since my shop is a Marin dealer) but I
    could take or leave Specialized. My best advice to you: look at hardtail bikes, you will get much
    more for your $1K, and go to more than one LBS. Ride the bikes a LOT before you buy.

    Chris