Gary Fisher, Trek, Kona or Jamis.. Help!

EastXCoast

Guest
I am a complete n00b to mtb as I have only ridden Ross bikes in my day.
I really have was not sure where to start so i spoke to some rider
frieneds and they gave me some things to look for and I have narrowed
down to this list. Suggestions and comments are more than welcome!! I
cant wait to get started, I am feeling the itch.

Here are the choices. In order of price lowest > highest.

Gary Fisher Tassajara 2006 $719

Trek 6500 $769

*Ibex Trophy Comp $799 **This item I have been informed is OOS until
the '07's come in in October. **

Jamis Durango 3.0 $825

Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc 2006 $899

Kona Hoss $899

$899 was a lil' higher than I wanted to go so i was wondering if there
is anything comparable for a little bit less.

Things to consider.
- This is my first REAL Mtb I have only ridden Ross in the past.
- I am 6'3" - 245 (Aiming to get back to 225)
- I have no idea what style riding i will get into.

I would appreciate any recommendations!!

EastXCoast wrote:
> I am a complete n00b to mtb as I have only ridden Ross bikes in my day.
> I really have was not sure where to start so i spoke to some rider
> frieneds and they gave me some things to look for and I have narrowed
> down to this list. Suggestions and comments are more than welcome!! I
> cant wait to get started, I am feeling the itch.
>
> Here are the choices. In order of price lowest > highest.
>
> Gary Fisher Tassajara 2006 $719
>
> Trek 6500 $769
>
> *Ibex Trophy Comp $799 **This item I have been informed is OOS until
> the '07's come in in October. **
>
> Jamis Durango 3.0 $825
>
> Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc 2006 $899
>
> Kona Hoss $899
>
> $899 was a lil' higher than I wanted to go so i was wondering if there
> is anything comparable for a little bit less.
>
> Things to consider.
> - This is my first REAL Mtb I have only ridden Ross in the past.
> - I am 6'3" - 245 (Aiming to get back to 225)
> - I have no idea what style riding i will get into.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations!!

I know one person with a Hoss. He even chimes in here once in a while.
Aside from a busted derailleur hanger, he's never had problems with it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

EastXCoast wrote:
> I am a complete n00b to mtb as I have only ridden Ross bikes in my day.
> I really have was not sure where to start so i spoke to some rider
> frieneds and they gave me some things to look for and I have narrowed
> down to this list. Suggestions and comments are more than welcome!! I
> cant wait to get started, I am feeling the itch.
>
> Here are the choices. In order of price lowest > highest.
>
> Gary Fisher Tassajara 2006 $719
>
> Trek 6500 $769
>
> *Ibex Trophy Comp $799 **This item I have been informed is OOS until
> the '07's come in in October. **
>
> Jamis Durango 3.0 $825
>
> Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc 2006 $899
>
> Kona Hoss $899
>
> $899 was a lil' higher than I wanted to go so i was wondering if there
> is anything comparable for a little bit less.
>
> Things to consider.
> - This is my first REAL Mtb I have only ridden Ross in the past.
> - I am 6'3" - 245 (Aiming to get back to 225)
> - I have no idea what style riding i will get into.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations!!

Any riding style you get into is going to require a very sturdy bike
and all of those on your list aren't even close. Save your money and
buy right the first time so you don't get nickel and dimed to death on
a crappy bike with crappy components. They just don't stand up to
people your size if they are ridden frequently.

JD