Gary Fisher's hard to pronounce bike name?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by nospam, May 27, 2004.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he keeps
    asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
    pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
    Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...

    Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
    people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what model
    it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it was just
    too hard to remember! :)

    Raymond

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > why they name their bike with such hard to
    > pronounce/remember names?

    I heard their new model will be called the "Obfuscation".

  3. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >>why they name their bike with such hard to
    >>pronounce/remember names?
    >

    > I heard their new model will be called the "Obfuscation".

    One of the prototypes was labled "chunky" a version or two
    ago... I think they said that was just a nickname though

  4. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he
    > keeps asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
    > pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
    > Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...

    Many of the names are just California locations. Places he
    rides/rode/wished he'd ridden. Hoo Koo E Koo is the sleeping
    maiden, Mt Tam. Tassajara is an early season road race near
    Livermore. Tassajara Road runs through the the rolling hills
    to the north of town. The road race ended with a 90 degree
    corner onto a frontage road, and an uphill final sprint. GF
    was a road racer ....

    > Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
    > people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
    > model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
    > was just too hard to remember! :)

    Probably the not what GF intended.

    Remember the CR7?

  5. Khill

    Khill Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he
    > keeps asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
    > pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
    > Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...
    >
    > Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
    > people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
    > model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
    > was just too hard to remember! :)
    >
    > Raymond

    It's a FAQ:

    http://www.fisherbikes.com/utility/questions.asp#d3

    - khill

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike.

    Making a new enemy?

    > Is there a reason behind the strange name?

    Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they need
    something "cool" to sell it.

    JD

  7. frodge

    frodge New Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    Who makes the best bikes?

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    frodge wrote:
    > Jd wrote:
    > > Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they need
    > > something
    > "cool" > to sell it.
    > > JD
    >

    > Who makes the best bikes?

    define what you mean by best.

  9. frodge

    frodge New Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    Quality vs money. I am sure you can by a great bike for $5000. BUt that is a lot of cash.

  10. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    frodge wrote:
    > Penny S wrote:
    > > frodge wrote:
    > something > > "cool" > to sell it.
    > > >

    > > > Who makes the best bikes?
    > > define what you mean by best.
    >

    > Quality vs money. I am sure you can by a great bike for
    > $5000. BUt that is a lot of cash.

    so you mean the most bang for the buck then? That's not the
    same as "best"

    What's that old equation... strenth, lightweight,
    inexpensice, pick two because you can't get all three?

    p.

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Gary was high on something. Orange Sunshine,Purple
    Haze,Micro Dot,or Mr. N.

    I MTB 2004

  12. nospam

    nospam Guest

    JD <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >> I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike.

    > Making a new enemy?
    >
    >> Is there a reason behind the strange name?

    > Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they need
    > something "cool" to sell it.

    > JD

    I thought they make pretty good bikes. ;)

  13. Skokatt

    Skokatt Guest

    frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:%[email protected]:

    > Jd wrote:
    > > Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they need
    > > something "cool" to sell it. JD
    >

    > Who makes the best bikes?

    it's a matter of opinion...

    I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
    produced crap, while the regulars lean more toward custom
    made frames.

    Don't take this as a flame... I'm just bitter because I
    can't afford a custom or a higher end mass produced frame ;)
    --
    - Chris - www.skokatt.com
    _____________________________

    Everyone starts out with a full bag of luck and an empty
    bag of experience. The trick is to fill one before you
    empty the other.

  14. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Skokatt wrote:
    > frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:%[email protected]:
    >
    >> Jd wrote:
    >> > Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they need
    >> > something "cool" to sell it. JD
    >>

    >> Who makes the best bikes?
    >
    > it's a matter of opinion...
    >
    > I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
    > produced crap, while the regulars lean more toward custom
    > made frames.

    huh?

    > Don't take this as a flame... I'm just bitter because I
    > can't afford a custom or a higher end mass produced
    > frame ;)

  15. Jg

    Jg Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
    > people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
    > model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
    > was just too hard to remember! :)

    My daughter rides a Gitchee Gummee.... I think most of the
    names are derrived from places etc. from the Upper Mid-
    West region.

    Just Say(tm P.L.)

    Hey Dere! C'meer once - you gots to read dis a couple-two-
    tree words on how ta talk like yer from Scansin, hey. Hit's
    a humdinger! Sit down witch'er brat an' brewski in yer blaze-
    orange and, cripes sake, in the spirit of Bart and Vince,
    take a gander, yahhey? I gotsta say, doh, dat I got dis from
    a fren’ of mine so I don’t know where it came from.

    Ole took Lena home with him and took off his shirt. Lena
    says, "Ole dat's some chest you got dare." Ole says, "
    Lena, dat's a hunnert pounds of dynamite." Next he took off
    his pants. Lena says, "Ole dat's nice calves you have
    dare." Ole says, " Lena dat's a hunnert pounds of
    dynamite." Ole quickly reached down and pulled off his
    underpants and Lena screamed and ran out the door. Ole put
    his clothes back on and ran after her. Catching her Ole
    said, "Lena, viy did you run out like dat?" Lena said,
    "Vith all dat dynamite around, I taught it vas going to
    explode ven I saw how short da fuse vas!"

    etc.

    --
    John G.

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've even brought that bike along on rides with JD without
    > being ridiculed. Go figure.

    Aww crap! I knew I was forgetting something...

    JD Ignatowski

  17. Jimbo(san)

    Jimbo(san) New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Heh...
    I think Carla's bike rack was "designed" by JD.. it tried to kill that very same bike...
    I remember how bad a scar it left on the downtube... sorry Corv

    Jimbo(san)

  18. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Skokatt <[email protected][no-spam]skokatt.com> wrote
    > >
    > > but, I have to admit... the group has gotten alot nicer
    > > toward trek, specialized, giant, cannondale (maybe not
    > > cannondale ;), etc. post- purchase approval in the past
    > > year or so.
    >
    > Lots of us here ride mass-produced crap. My geared ride is
    > a five year old Fisher Paragon, which has been a wonderful
    > bike for me. The frame has stood up to quite a lot of
    > abuse, and I am personally very fond of the funny Genesis
    > geometry. I've even brought that bike along on rides with
    > JD without being ridiculed. Go figure.

    You mean, all those folks who say Jerry is a nice guy in
    person - they might all be right? Wow, who'd a' thunk it?

    Or, I have my own idea: you bought a bike, with your own
    money (not JD's) that works for you and hasn't let you down.
    It lets you just shut the hell up and ride. What's more
    important than that? Nothing. You know it, JD knows it, and
    everything else is just an exercise in typing.

    Hell, I rode my POS steel beater at AMB-ID 2003 - basically
    my parts-hanger for when I got a new frame. JD didn't say
    one damn thing about my POS. If I'd have showed up on a
    Huffy with purple anodized dildo-shaped reflectors (from
    Sorni's House o' Weird Crap), he wouldn't have said anything
    either. As long as we are dreaming here, I whipped his ass
    to every stop point, never brought up the rear, and I'm
    married to Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket...

    Funny thing - only those folks with huge chips on their
    shoulders, or who don't have enough self-confidence to
    accept that some folks won't like their purchasing
    decisions, don't like JD's postings. Who really GAF what
    anyone else in freakin' USENET thinks anyway? Hell, if I
    coulda got a Fuel frame for any kind of decent price, I
    might have bought that instead of the Fango. And it might
    have been a mistake, but it's my money, fer craps' sake.

    Here endeth the rant.
    --
    Jonesy "just about fed up with brand loyalists"

  19. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    Skokatt <[email protected][no-spam]skokatt.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:%[email protected]:
    >
    > > Jd wrote:
    > > > Marketing hype. When one designs crap bikes, they
    > > > need something "cool" to sell it. JD
    > >

    > > Who makes the best bikes?
    >
    > it's a matter of opinion...

    No it isn't. The red ones are fastest, and the black ones
    are the most flexy in the rear. (Sorni alert.)

    > I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
    > produced crap, while the regulars lean more toward custom
    > made frames.

    I'm a regular, and I like mass-produced crap. Huffy rules.

    I know, jealousy and alcohol. :) But seriously, there are
    some bike-makers that make lots of bikes that are pretty
    damn good. Like Specialized, or Marin, or Giant. For
    occasional riders, just about anything above *Mart fare will
    work just fine for them. For a long time. Even a Fisher.

    You should never have to ask the question, "did I get a good
    bike?" It screams ignorance and lack of research. Even then,
    how TF are we supposed to know? My shitty CrMo DB lasted
    forever, and is still going strong. Taiwan-made, sold by the
    boat-load in "sporting good stores," it fit me and it ran
    for over 10 years on LX parts. What more do you want out of
    a bike? In the end, who cares what *I* think about *your*
    bike. If you like riding it, then my opinion don't mean
    shit. Tell me to "FOAD," throw a leg over and pedal a smile
    right onto your face.

    > Don't take this as a flame... I'm just bitter because I
    > can't afford a custom or a higher end mass produced
    > frame ;)

    My Fango frame cost ~$900. Three times what my whole beater
    has cost over it's lifetime. My Christmas and birthday and
    Father's Day and anniversay presents over the course of 3
    years. "What did you get for your birthday?" A nice, new
    bike frame. "That's what you got last year!" Nope, same
    frame, different birthday. :)

    That having been said, I'd suggest that somebody could
    probably weld up a nice steel custom for less than that
    for you. I dunno, I never priced them. Or, you could just
    ride the hell out of what you have, and save your money
    for beer. :)
    --
    Jonesy

  20. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    [snip]

    > JD Ignatowski

    Christopher Lloyd's best role. Andy Kaufmann's Latka
    couldn't hold a candle to Iggy.
    --
    Jonesy "don't get me started on Barney Miller..."