Gary Fisher's hard to pronounce bike name?

nospam

Guest
I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he keeps
asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...

Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what model
it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it was just
too hard to remember! :)

Raymond

> why they name their bike with such hard to
> pronounce/remember names?

I heard their new model will be called the "Obfuscation".

John Harlow wrote:
>>why they name their bike with such hard to
>>pronounce/remember names?
>

> I heard their new model will be called the "Obfuscation".

One of the prototypes was labled "chunky" a version or two
ago... I think they said that was just a nickname though

> I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he
> keeps asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
> pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
> Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...

Many of the names are just California locations. Places he
rides/rode/wished he'd ridden. Hoo Koo E Koo is the sleeping
maiden, Mt Tam. Tassajara is an early season road race near
Livermore. Tassajara Road runs through the the rolling hills
to the north of town. The road race ended with a 90 degree
corner onto a frontage road, and an uphill final sprint. GF
was a road racer ....

> Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
> people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
> model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
> was just too hard to remember! :)

Probably the not what GF intended.

Remember the CR7?

[email protected] wrote:
> I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike. But he
> keeps asking me why they name their bike with such hard to
> pronounce/remember names? like Tassajara, Hoo Koo E Koo?
> Merlin and X-caliber are ok, but...
>
> Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
> people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
> model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
> was just too hard to remember! :)
>
> Raymond

It's a FAQ:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/utility/questions.asp#d3

- khill

> I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike.

Making a new enemy?

> Is there a reason behind the strange name?

Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
something "cool" to sell it.

JD

frodge wrote:
> Jd wrote:
> > Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
> > something
> "cool" > to sell it.
> > JD
>

> Who makes the best bikes?

define what you mean by best.

Originally posted by Penny S
frodge wrote:
> Jd wrote:
> > Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
> > something
> "cool" > to sell it.
> > JD
>

> Who makes the best bikes?

define what you mean by best.
Quality vs money. I am sure you can by a great bike for $5000. BUt that is a lot of cash.

frodge wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
> > frodge wrote:
> something > > "cool" > to sell it.
> > >

> > > Who makes the best bikes?
> > define what you mean by best.
>

> Quality vs money. I am sure you can by a great bike for
> $5000. BUt that is a lot of cash.

so you mean the most bang for the buck then? That's not the
same as "best"

What's that old equation... strenth, lightweight,
inexpensice, pick two because you can't get all three?

p.

Gary was high on something. Orange Sunshine,Purple
Haze,Micro Dot,or Mr. N.

I MTB 2004

JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>> I am trying to help a friend to get a GF bike.

> Making a new enemy?
>
>> Is there a reason behind the strange name?

> Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
> something "cool" to sell it.

> JD

I thought they make pretty good bikes. ;)

frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
news:%[email protected]:

> Jd wrote:
> > Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
> > something "cool" to sell it. JD
>

> Who makes the best bikes?

it's a matter of opinion...

I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
produced ****, while the regulars lean more toward custom
made frames.

Don't take this as a flame... I'm just bitter because I
can't afford a custom or a higher end mass produced frame ;)
--
- Chris - www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

Everyone starts out with a full bag of luck and an empty
bag of experience. The trick is to fill one before you
empty the other.

Skokatt wrote:
> frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:%[email protected]:
>
>> Jd wrote:
>> > Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they need
>> > something "cool" to sell it. JD
>>

>> Who makes the best bikes?
>
> it's a matter of opinion...
>
> I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
> produced ****, while the regulars lean more toward custom
> made frames.

huh?

[email protected] wrote:
> Is there a reason behind the strange name? I know several
> people who have GF, and none of them can tell me what
> model it is when I was doing bike searching!! Because it
> was just too hard to remember! :)

My daughter rides a Gitchee Gummee.... I think most of the
names are derrived from places etc. from the Upper Mid-
West region.

Just Say(tm P.L.)

Hey Dere! C'meer once - you gots to read dis a couple-two-
tree words on how ta talk like yer from Scansin, hey. Hit's
a humdinger! Sit down witch'er brat an' brewski in yer blaze-
orange and, cripes sake, in the spirit of Bart and Vince,
take a gander, yahhey? I gotsta say, doh, dat I got dis from
a fren’ of mine so I don’t know where it came from.

Ole took Lena home with him and took off his shirt. Lena
says, "Ole dat's some chest you got dare." Ole says, "
Lena, dat's a hunnert pounds of dynamite." Next he took off
his pants. Lena says, "Ole dat's nice calves you have
dare." Ole says, " Lena dat's a hunnert pounds of
dynamite." Ole quickly reached down and pulled off his
underpants and Lena screamed and ran out the door. Ole put
his clothes back on and ran after her. Catching her Ole
said, "Lena, viy did you run out like dat?" Lena said,
"Vith all dat dynamite around, I taught it vas going to
explode ven I saw how short da fuse vas!"

etc.

--
John G.

Originally posted by Jd
[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've even brought that bike along on rides with JD without
> being ridiculed. Go figure.

Aww ****! I knew I was forgetting something...

JD Ignatowski

Heh...
I think Carla's bike rack was "designed" by JD.. it tried to kill that very same bike...
I remember how bad a scar it left on the downtube... sorry Corv

Jimbo(san)

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Skokatt <chris@[no-spam]skokatt.com> wrote
> >
> > but, I have to admit... the group has gotten alot nicer
> > toward trek, specialized, giant, cannondale (maybe not
> > cannondale ;), etc. post- purchase approval in the past
> > year or so.
>
> Lots of us here ride mass-produced ****. My geared ride is
> a five year old Fisher Paragon, which has been a wonderful
> bike for me. The frame has stood up to quite a lot of
> abuse, and I am personally very fond of the funny Genesis
> geometry. I've even brought that bike along on rides with
> JD without being ridiculed. Go figure.

You mean, all those folks who say Jerry is a nice guy in
person - they might all be right? Wow, who'd a' thunk it?

Or, I have my own idea: you bought a bike, with your own
money (not JD's) that works for you and hasn't let you down.
It lets you just shut the hell up and ride. What's more
important than that? Nothing. You know it, JD knows it, and
everything else is just an exercise in typing.

Hell, I rode my POS steel beater at AMB-ID 2003 - basically
my parts-hanger for when I got a new frame. JD didn't say
one damn thing about my POS. If I'd have showed up on a
Huffy with purple anodized *****-shaped reflectors (from
Sorni's House o' Weird ****), he wouldn't have said anything
either. As long as we are dreaming here, I whipped his ass
to every stop point, never brought up the rear, and I'm
married to Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Funny thing - only those folks with huge chips on their
shoulders, or who don't have enough self-confidence to
accept that some folks won't like their purchasing
decisions, don't like JD's postings. Who really GAF what
anyone else in freakin' USENET thinks anyway? Hell, if I
coulda got a Fuel frame for any kind of decent price, I
might have bought that instead of the Fango. And it might
have been a mistake, but it's my money, fer craps' sake.

Here endeth the rant.
--
Jonesy "just about fed up with brand loyalists"

Skokatt <chris@[no-spam]skokatt.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> frodge <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:%[email protected]:
>
> > Jd wrote:
> > > Marketing hype. When one designs **** bikes, they
> > > need something "cool" to sell it. JD
> >

> > Who makes the best bikes?
>
> it's a matter of opinion...

No it isn't. The red ones are fastest, and the black ones
are the most flexy in the rear. (Sorni alert.)

> I, like most of the lurkers here, tend to like mass
> produced ****, while the regulars lean more toward custom
> made frames.

I'm a regular, and I like mass-produced ****. Huffy rules.

I know, jealousy and alcohol. :) But seriously, there are
some bike-makers that make lots of bikes that are pretty
damn good. Like Specialized, or Marin, or Giant. For
occasional riders, just about anything above *Mart fare will
work just fine for them. For a long time. Even a Fisher.

You should never have to ask the question, "did I get a good
bike?" It screams ignorance and lack of research. Even then,
how TF are we supposed to know? My shitty CrMo DB lasted
forever, and is still going strong. Taiwan-made, sold by the
boat-load in "sporting good stores," it fit me and it ran
for over 10 years on LX parts. What more do you want out of
a bike? In the end, who cares what *I* think about *your*
bike. If you like riding it, then my opinion don't mean
****. Tell me to "FOAD," throw a leg over and pedal a smile
right onto your face.

> Don't take this as a flame... I'm just bitter because I
> can't afford a custom or a higher end mass produced
> frame ;)

My Fango frame cost ~$900. Three times what my whole beater
has cost over it's lifetime. My Christmas and birthday and
Father's Day and anniversay presents over the course of 3
years. "What did you get for your birthday?" A nice, new
bike frame. "That's what you got last year!" Nope, same
frame, different birthday. :)

That having been said, I'd suggest that somebody could
probably weld up a nice steel custom for less than that
for you. I dunno, I never priced them. Or, you could just
ride the hell out of what you have, and save your money
for beer. :)
--
Jonesy