gas grill cover question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Phyllis Stone, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
    protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    Depot or Lowes.

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Phyllis Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    >first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
    >protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    >really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    >Depot or Lowes.

    Why bother? If the grill's hot, the cover will be, too. Water & snow will
    sizzle and evaporate when they hit the metal. If you feel you must cover it,
    how about using heavy duty foil?

  3. On Thu 05 Jan 2006 02:59:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Phyllis
    Stone?

    > I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    > first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
    > protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    > really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    > Depot or Lowes.

    Yes, they do exist. I had one for a previous grill and it worked very well.
    Mine came from a BBQ grill specialty store where I bought my grill. That was
    six years and two cities ago, and I no longer have either the grill or the
    cover, so cannot give you a name.

    I would suggest looking beyond the big box stores.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Phyllis Stone wrote:
    > I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    > first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
    > protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    > really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    > Depot or Lowes.

    Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
    embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
    cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
    designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
    would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
    impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
    in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
    away (if you're lucky).

    Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
    heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
    should be outdoors... sheesh!

    Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
    suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
    rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.

    Sheldon

  5. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Phyllis Stone wrote:
    >> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    >> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill
    >> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    >> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    >> Depot or Lowes.

    > Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
    > embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
    > cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
    > designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
    > would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
    > impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
    > in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
    > away (if you're lucky).
    >
    > Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
    > heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
    > should be outdoors... sheesh!
    >
    > Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
    > suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
    > rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
    >
    > Sheldon

    I am finally a member of this newsgroup, I have been Sheldonized!
    The weather here in Houston is not friendly to anything that sits outside.
    Sun and rain is a big thing here. You are right, I don't like to get my car
    wet, but of course I do. It is a good thing my grill did not cost $5000. as
    I would probably bring it in the house.

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Phyllis Stone wrote:

    > I am finally a member of this newsgroup,

    You're not even close to being a member, you've so far contributed
    nothing, certainly nothing worthwhile, so far all you've done is take.

    > I have been Sheldonized!

    Not until your IQ begins to creep upwards and out of the red zone.

    > The weather here in Houston is not friendly to anything that sits outside.
    > Sun and rain is a big thing here.

    Sun and rain to a grill is like water to a duck's back... your grill's
    worst enemy is you. Houston is humid, covers hold in condensation and
    cause mold to grow, do you want your grill for cooking or are you going
    to fill it with your horseshit and pretend to be a mushroom farmer.

    > It is a good thing my grill did not cost $5000.

    So I was correct from the git-go... "Why do you need a cover, is your
    grill such a cheap model it's an embarrassment."

    Anytime I see an outdoor grill all sparkly new and swaddled in a cushy
    cover I know whoever lives there doesn't cook. I'm positive the rest
    of the rednecks in your sub division know you as the tube steak
    maven... Phyllis the weenie woman! <G>.

    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

    Sheldon

  7. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Anytime I see an outdoor grill all sparkly new and swaddled in a cushy
    > cover I know whoever lives there doesn't cook. I'm positive the rest
    > of the rednecks in your sub division know you as the tube steak
    > maven... Phyllis the weenie woman! <G>.
    >
    > Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

    Well as someone else has already said, "oh Sheldon, I love it when you talk
    dirty".

  8. On 5 Jan 2006 15:12:15 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Phyllis Stone wrote:
    >> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
    >> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
    >> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
    >> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
    >> Depot or Lowes.

    >Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
    >embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
    >cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
    >designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
    >would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
    >impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
    >in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
    >away (if you're lucky).
    >
    >Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
    >heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
    >should be outdoors... sheesh!
    >
    >Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
    >suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
    >rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
    >
    >Sheldon

    Sheldon, You have mentioned your farm tractor here. Do you leave it
    out all winter or do ou put it under shelter?

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Allan Matthews wrote:

    > Now this is "Sheldonizing" See how little it takes to
    > jerk his chain?

    Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

  10. On 6 Jan 2006 12:51:23 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Allan Matthews wrote:
    >>>

    >> Now this is "Sheldonizing" See how little it takes to
    >> jerk his chain?

    >Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

    Who learned early in life to take care of equipment.

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Allan Matthews wrote:
    > "Sheldon" wrote:
    > >
    > >Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

    > Who learned early in life to take care of equipment.

    Yeah... I got your equipment... bend over and take care of this johnson
    bar!

    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

  12. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
    >(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
    >so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
    >and drifts over my head:
    >http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg

    Wow, that's a lot of snow.

    >Check out MY grill cover:
    >
    >http://tinypic.com/js2bzb.jpg

    And that grill cover is in pristine white condition.

    >Sheldon

    Kathy in NZ

  13. Kathy in NZ wrote:

    > On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
    > >(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
    > >so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
    > >and drifts over my head:
    > >http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg

    > Wow, that's a lot of snow.

    Upstate New York is one of the snow "capitals" of the US...winter up
    there ain't for sissies!

    --
    Best
    Greg

  14. : Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
    : embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
    : cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
    : designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
    : would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
    : impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
    : in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
    : away (if you're lucky).

    : Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
    : heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
    : should be outdoors... sheesh!

    : Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
    : suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
    : rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.

    : Sheldon

    Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
    Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
    bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
    has the same weather that you do!

    So, where I live, "impervious, outdoor grills" certainly benefit from a
    good cover. Now, if only we could find a good cover to fit Sheldon's
    pie-hole...

  15. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > : Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
    > : embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
    > : cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
    > : designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
    > : would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
    > : impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
    > : in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
    > : away (if you're lucky).
    >
    > : Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
    > : heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
    > : should be outdoors... sheesh!
    >
    > : Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
    > : suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
    > : rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
    >
    > : Sheldon
    >

    > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
    > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
    > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
    > has the same weather that you do!

    I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
    hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
    even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
    them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
    when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
    smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
    casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
    to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
    story.

  16. : > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
    : > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
    : > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
    : > has the same weather that you do!

    : I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
    : hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
    : even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
    : them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
    : when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
    : smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
    : casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
    : to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
    : story.

    That's OK, I don't believe most of the shit you stir either!
    I'll have to take a photo showing the holes in the knobs from the hail
    and get it posted so you can see for yourself.

  17. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > : > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
    > : > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
    > : > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
    > : > has the same weather that you do!
    >
    > : I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
    > : hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
    > : even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
    > : them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
    > : when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
    > : smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
    > : casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
    > : to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
    > : story.
    >

    > That's OK, I don't believe most of the shit you stir either!
    > I'll have to take a photo showing the holes in the knobs from the hail
    > and get it posted so you can see for yourself.

    How will you take photos of knobs you already claimed have been
    "crumbled to bits"... what'll you do, post pictures of valve stems?
    duh

    And had your grill knobs been ruined from constant hail storms you
    would have long ago replaced and protected them (Weber knobs only cost
    *$2/per*). Weber's gas valve knobs are of very stout plastic and the
    way they're configured they present very little flat area that could be
    pelted with hail. Mine have endured many a hail storm and are none the
    worse for wear... only wear they show is that after so many years
    exposed to ultra violet they are kind of chalky grey rather than shiny
    black, but they function perfectly so I don't even consider
    replacements. The only wear and tear from weather my grill displays is
    that the shelving has turned grey, mine is from the pre-plastic
    shelving days... so every couple of years when I coat my wood deck and
    furniture with Thompsons I give the Weber wooden shelves a few licks
    too. You keep digging yourself into an ever deepening hole. You're
    such a lair.

    I doubt you even own a Weber, I don't think you've ever seen one up
    close and personal. Anyone could plainly see that Weber knobs are very
    well engineered for outdoor durability, they offer very little
    horizontal area for hail to strike.

    http://weber.com/bbq/pub/shop/product/view.aspx?ProductID=1053

    I once owned a grill cover, for my previous grill. Since I had to wait
    for the grill to cool down before using the cover it rarely got used.
    The few times I placed it on early there was some hot spot that damaged
    the cover. One day I forgot to lash the cover down with rope and a big
    wind storm blew the cover away, never did find it.

    As an aside, gas grill covers are not safe. If there's a slight leak
    the cover may act like a balloon and contain an accumulation of gas,
    then someone walks by with a lit cigarette. Kaboom!

    If I thought a grill cover had any value I'd say so, they have no value
    whatsoever... only if you like to offer a home to hornets.

    Sheldon

  18. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >If I thought a grill cover had any value I'd say so, they have no value whatsoever... only if you like to offer a home to hornets.

    Paper Wasps Sheldon... they're the ones' most likely to build a nest
    under a grill cover- Hornets prefer trees. Kev

  19. : [email protected] wrote:
    : > : > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
    : > : > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
    : > : > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
    : > : > has the same weather that you do!
    : >
[...]

    Sigh - I'm not going to waste any more time on you by posting any photos,
    as you've already determined that the earth is flat and nothing can prove
    otherwise.

    : And had your grill knobs been ruined from constant hail storms you
    : would have long ago replaced and protected them (Weber knobs only cost

    "protected them"? That's EXACTLY what the subject of this thread is, you twit.

    FYI - propane is heavier than air, so there's no way it could make "the cover
    act like a balloon". Duh. You're the USENET's biggest TROLL, only in disguise.

  20. bobemeril

    bobemeril Guest

    I hate to admit I agree w/Sheldon on the covers.My gas grille is at
    least 17 yrs old,and has been outside through rain, snow,and hail.
    I've replaced the burners quite a few times,replaced the glass front
    with a peice of metal[because it suddenly rained when I had it cranked
    up all the way hot years ago].
    But every time I think maybe Sheldon has a lick of sense,he turns
    right back into his dildostic self. Ahahahahahahah-----Bob