Gas-Guzzler Tax To Fund Bike Paths

EL34

Mar 12, 2005
Washington D.C. - At the White House Friday morning president Bush declared that the "rapidly escalating price of oil and America's over-reliance on imported fossil fuels" - along with the obesity epidemic and air pollution - to be national security issues threatening our way of life in the US. Mr. Bush proposed a "gas-guzzler" tax on SUVs, Hummers and large pickups (trucks that actually work for a living, such as those owned by businesses and farmers, will be exempted) with the proceeds of the tax used to fund urban bike paths and programs to promote bicycle commuting and recreational cycling. Republican house majority leader Tom DeLay applauded the move saying "president Bush deserves credit for recognizing that the wastefulness of low mileage vehicles such as SUVs "damages our economy by exporting our wealth to the countries we import oil from and pollutes the air we breath". Showing rare bi-partisan support for the president's initiative, Democrat Edward Kennedy threw his support behind Bush's proposal by donning spandex bike shorts and pedaling his mountain bike to work at the congressional office building Friday morning, drawing comments from on-lookers that Mr. Kennedy should look into some baggy cycling shorts.

Lol... wouldn't that be fabulous. Can we also use the tax to subsidize the cost of lavish carbon fiber cycle componentry? :D

uh Ted Kennedy on a bicycle? Scary thought - He'd better trade that in for a trike with a huge rear basket - more room for beer :rolleyes:

do we know a name or number of this? I'm thinking about writing to my respresentives.

EL34 said:
Washington D.C. - At the White House Friday morning president Bush declared that the "rapidly escalating price of oil and America's over-reliance on imported fossil fuels" - along with the obesity epidemic and air pollution - to be national security issues threatening our way of life in the US. Mr. Bush proposed a "gas-guzzler" tax on SUVs, Hummers and large pickups (trucks that actually work for a living, such as those owned by businesses and farmers, will be exempted) with the proceeds of the tax used to fund urban bike paths and programs to promote bicycle commuting and recreational cycling.
I wonder if any of this has to do with Bush getting the cycling bug. I read that he was having knee problems and dropped the running in favor of cycling.

As a Republican, I'm offended almost daily at something Bush says or does. Government should not be in the business of picking which cars or trucks are winners and losers. That is the job of the market place. The SUV's, Hummers, etc. already pay more gas taxes because they use more gas in the first place.

Edit: But what about Ted Kennedy on a bike wearing tight lycra? :eek:

Doctor Morbius said:
I wonder if any of this has to do with Bush getting the cycling bug. I read that he was having knee problems and dropped the running in favor of cycling.

As a Republican, I'm offended almost daily at something Bush says or does. Government should not be in the business of picking which cars or trucks are winners and losers. That is the job of the market place. The SUV's, Hummers, etc. already pay more gas taxes because they use more gas in the first place.

Edit: But what about Ted Kennedy on a bike wearing tight lycra? :eek:
The problem is SUV's are classified as Trucks so that they get to bypass the rules and are allowed to have lower gpm's. Now with tons of people having them that is using up A LOT of gas. If anything else they should atleast have to adhere to the normal epa rules for cars.

TrevorN said:
do we know a name or number of this? I'm thinking about writing to my respresentives.
It was an April Fool's joke.

....Ted Kennedy in spandex.....

It may be an April Fool's joke, but President Bush actually is an avid mountain biker. I've seen news footage of him riding the trails around his ranch, and the latest issue of Dirt Rag had this excerpt from The Baltimore Sun:

"President Bush, a "Biking Maniac," Loves Leaving Aides in Dust
For Secret Service agents and others who have ridden with Bush, it can be a perilous experience. At least one agent has broken several bones trailing the President. It can also be demoralizing- he is famous for leaving stragglers behind- but seldom boring."​

:(

I wish that this were the case, except of course for Mr kennedy's shorts (whew... really bad visual).

The US really needs to work on encouraging alternative forms of transportation... and of course we all think cycling ROCKS!!