Gas will be $4.00 a gallon by Monday 9-05…

ReptilesBlade wrote:

> By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
> be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
> be $5.00 a gallon.

Eh? It's already over $6.00 a gallon. I saw $1.35 CDN a litre Friday,
and there's 4.54 litres per Imperial gallon, so that's $6.195 a gallon.

Oh, wait, were you talking about your local definitions of "dollar" and
"gallon"?
Never mind. It's still cheap, considering.

Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>Hmm... Pete it sounds like that road bike you were contemplating would fit
>the 25 *mph* bill pretty nicely. Plus it has pretty good headroom, too.

Touche'

Talking mpg, though... I have empirically determined that the existing bike gets
approximately 12.5 miles per bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples.

Seriously, one unanticipated consequence my little dilettante-riding to work is
that I need more food. Geeze, first couple days I was *really* hungry by noon.
--
PeteCresswell

[email protected] wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Er, so you're predicting a fuel shortage aboard U.S.
> aircraft carriers in the 1970's?
>
> Carl Fogel

What? I was on an aircraft carrier in the late 70s when we had the fuel
shortages. It affected everybody, even those of us that couldn't fly
because of it. Wht did it happen then? Ya think it can't happen again?
The oil producers have the US' nuts in their hands. And former
Presidential candidates call for oil producer president's asassination.
It is bad, it'll get worse. katrina showed how fragile the US economy
is.

[email protected] wrote:

> Note that actual times may go back 72 hours, so be cautious.
>
> You can check prices across the U.S. here to see if the sky is falling:

> Somehow, I doubt that gas will rise to $5 nationwide in two weeks by
> Monday, September 19th.
>
> A surprising number of rec.bicycles.tech posters seem to lose their
> heads whenever their dislike of cars is involved.
>
> Carl Fogel

Like I said. Denial is an easy path. It won't be bad as long as some of
us think it won't be. 'Lose their heads when their dislike of cars is
involved'...Don't dislike carts, dislike car buyers that think
everything is rosey and will stay that way, as we guzzle.

Do ya think the auto industry will change now? Or continue as they have
until there is a crisis, as they did before?

I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
highway...geeezzz...

[email protected] wrote:

> A surprising number of rec.bicycles.tech posters seem to lose their
> heads whenever their dislike of cars is involved.

I'm not about to get rid of my cars any time soon but to tell the truth
I think gas is just too cheap here. Some of my coworkers drive their
Chevy Surburbans 45 miles each way to and from work every day. If gas
is so cheap that this seems reasonable to them than I say it is just
too cheap. Now in light of the call to conserve my company is going to
let employees work from home 2 days/week (which is certainly a pretty
good idea but I can drive my efficient car my reasonable distance to
work and back all week on less than half the gas they use in one day).

Were it up to me I'd add $1/gal tax to gas and use all the money to
fund mass transit, alternative fuels, and conservation. If we did this
years ago we might not be so dependant on other nations for our
strategic resources. In my book energy independance is a necessary
component of national security; as long as we are so dependant on other
nation's oil we are at their mercy.

I'm planning on getting a diesel for my next vehicle. Hopefully by
then biodiesel will be available near me. I'd much rather pay $5/gal
and have my money go to American farmers than to pay $2/gal and have my
money go to unfriendly nations and multinational corporations.

My $0.02 anyway.
--
Bruce

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Per Llatikcuf:
> >
> >Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!

> Actually, more like 4 tons/14 mpg.
>
> But some people do need such things - some for load carrying capacity... but
> some large people just for egnomics/safety.

I'm calling BS on this assertion. (I don't mean Bill Sornson, either.)

I'm 6'8" and about 375 lbs. these days, so I have made a few
observations about automobile ergonomics by now. I have tried on many
cars-- this is a ritual for me every time I have to rent one, for
instance-- and I have never found a correlation between overall car
size and driver's seat room.

I would rate full-size pickups and the SUVs based upon them as above
average in driver accomodations, and SUVs based on mid-sized pickups as
distinctly below average in this regard. However, all of them are
surpassed by some small cars.

The most spacious driver's seat I have ever driven was in a 1974 VW
Karmann Ghia convertible. The second most spacious was that of a New
Beetle.

I've heard favorable reviews about the Mini Cooper and the Toyota RAV4
from folks near my height.

If carrying capacity is the criterion, minivans usually have more
capacity than large SUVs. Full-size vans have more yet. But let's be
clear-- people do not buy SUVs because they are big on the inside.
They buy SUVs because they are big on the outside (the better to bully
and obstruct other road users). It's rare that such vehicles have any
more interior room than a typical station wagon.

When my sister took up playing the harp, there were few options
available for vehicles that could carry her instrument. A variety of
vans, the Chevrolet Suburban, or... a Ford Taurus wagon. That's
right-- when it comes to real cargo room, a Taurus wagon equals a
Suburban. But hey, a Taurus doesn't accept a brush guard or salve its
operator's insecurities!

I have to observe that probably 19 out of 20 gargantuan SUV's and
full-sized personal pickup trucks I see don't even carry a second
occupant, let alone a load of cargo that would require such an
outlandishly sized vehicle.

Chalo Colina

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>>Hmm... Pete it sounds like that road bike you were contemplating would fit
>>the 25 *mph* bill pretty nicely. Plus it has pretty good headroom, too.

> Touche'
>
> Talking mpg, though... I have empirically determined that the existing
> bike gets
> approximately 12.5 miles per bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples.
>
> Seriously, one unanticipated consequence my little dilettante-riding to
> work is
> that I need more food. Geeze, first couple days I was *really* hungry by
> noon.
> --
> PeteCresswell

Can you approximate an actual miles-per-dollar value? I'm curious if
smaller riders like me (5'5", 135lbs) are more efficient. It's probably
proportional to the speed... I might be more efficient at higher speeds and
in hilly areas, whereas the opposite might be true for you.

You:
6 bagels = $1.80.
41.67 miles per dollar

20 mpg car:
6.67 miles per dollar

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On 2005-09-07, Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote:

> "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>>>Hmm... Pete it sounds like that road bike you were contemplating would fit
>>>the 25 *mph* bill pretty nicely. Plus it has pretty good headroom, too.

>> Touche'
>>
>> Talking mpg, though... I have empirically determined that the existing
>> bike gets
>> approximately 12.5 miles per bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples.
>>
>> Seriously, one unanticipated consequence my little dilettante-riding to
>> work is
>> that I need more food. Geeze, first couple days I was *really* hungry by
>> noon.
>> --
>> PeteCresswell

> Can you approximate an actual miles-per-dollar value? I'm curious if
> smaller riders like me (5'5", 135lbs) are more efficient. It's probably
> proportional to the speed... I might be more efficient at higher speeds and
> in hilly areas, whereas the opposite might be true for you.
>
> You:
> 6 bagels = $1.80.
> 41.67 miles per dollar
>
> 20 mpg car:
> 6.67 miles per dollar

I think it's going to hard to beat the MP$ of BP&J. Now I have to figure
a way to make them where I don't have to stop to eat.

Phil wrote:
> Can you approximate an actual miles-per-dollar value?

> You:
> 6 bagels = $1.80.
> 41.67 miles per dollar

> 20 mpg car:
> 6.67 miles per dollar

Where do you find "bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples" at only 30 cents
each?

I've found that fuel costs for my Cannondale are generally as high per
mile as they were for my car. It got 35 - 45 mpg, so at today's
$3/gal. price that amounts to about 7.5 cents/mile. On my Cannondale a
100 mile ride requires an extra consumption of about 3000 kcal. so a
$2.50 Whopper is good for about 20 miles. That makes the cost 12.5
cents/mile. OTOH, refueling with a 2 L bottle of store-brand soda
(1140 kcal) lets me go almost 40 miles for 80 cents or only 2
cents/mile (but possibly higher dental bills later).

On 6 Sep 2005 16:28:44 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>(PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>
>> Per Llatikcuf:
>> >
>> >Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!

>> Actually, more like 4 tons/14 mpg.
>>
>> But some people do need such things - some for load carrying capacity... but
>> some large people just for egnomics/safety.

>I'm calling BS on this assertion. (I don't mean Bill Sornson, either.)
>
>I'm 6'8" and about 375 lbs. these days, so I have made a few
>observations about automobile ergonomics by now. I have tried on many
>cars-- this is a ritual for me every time I have to rent one, for
>instance-- and I have never found a correlation between overall car
>size and driver's seat room.

Ditto here, at 6'3". This becomes particularly true for certain
pickup turcks and large SUVs, where the seat will not go back far
enough for me to drive without my knees hitting the lower part of the
dash.

>I would rate full-size pickups and the SUVs based upon them as above
>average in driver accomodations, and SUVs based on mid-sized pickups as
>distinctly below average in this regard. However, all of them are
>surpassed by some small cars.

Toyotas have, in the past, been particularly accommodating in this
area.

>The most spacious driver's seat I have ever driven was in a 1974 VW
>Karmann Ghia convertible. The second most spacious was that of a New
>Beetle.
>
>I've heard favorable reviews about the Mini Cooper and the Toyota RAV4
>from folks near my height.

I can confirm on the RAV4; I haven't had a chance to try out a new
Cooper yet, though its predecessor was another matter entirely.

>If carrying capacity is the criterion, minivans usually have more
>capacity than large SUVs. Full-size vans have more yet. But let's be
>clear-- people do not buy SUVs because they are big on the inside.
>They buy SUVs because they are big on the outside (the better to bully
>and obstruct other road users). It's rare that such vehicles have any
>more interior room than a typical station wagon.

I'll note that this varies wildly with model and year. An
acquaintance who needs a cargo vehicle to haul stuff to trade shows
has used an older Ford Explorer for a number of years, but he found
that the newer model of that vehicle had substantially less usable
room due to the way the interior layour had been changed. I have a
Ford Escort wagon, and find its meager cargo space barely adequate,
nowhere near the (by comparison) monstrous cavern of the Nissan Stanza
Wagon that I'm rehabbing as the backup.

>When my sister took up playing the harp, there were few options
>available for vehicles that could carry her instrument. A variety of
>vans, the Chevrolet Suburban, or... a Ford Taurus wagon. That's
>right-- when it comes to real cargo room, a Taurus wagon equals a
>Suburban. But hey, a Taurus doesn't accept a brush guard or salve its
>operator's insecurities!

And the older models had truly abysmal transmissions, but that's a
different matter.

>I have to observe that probably 19 out of 20 gargantuan SUV's and
>full-sized personal pickup trucks I see don't even carry a second
>occupant, let alone a load of cargo that would require such an
>outlandishly sized vehicle.

More of them get detailed regularly than ever carry a quarter of their
rated load.

I concur; based on wide personal observation, a disproportionate
number of SUVs are owned and driven by arrogant assholes who simply
want to be able to throw their weight around.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2005 16:28:44 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I've heard favorable reviews about the Mini Cooper and the Toyota
>> RAV4 from folks near my height.

> I can confirm on the RAV4

Ditto. (Although I *do* have to take my friends' barbs about driving a
"chick SUV". I've recently taken to correcting them; it's a /SENIOR
CITIZEN/ SUV.)

Sigh.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:05:23 -0500, ReptilesBlade
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
>Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
>Missouri.
>
>By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
>be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
>be $5.00 a gallon.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, your informant was dead
wrong.

No surprise there, however; such rumors have always been quick to
start in such situations.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:35:55 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2005-09-03, Llatikcuf <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ReptilesBlade wrote:
>>> This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
>>> Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
>>> Missouri.
>>>
>>> By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide) will
>>> be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it will
>>> be $5.00 a gallon.
>>>
>>> I just wanted to put the word out as best I could to help as many people as I
>>> could avoid getting taken by surprise.
>>>
>>> Thank you and buy a bike. I recommend Trek personally.
>>>

>> Good! It's what needs to happen. Expensive oil is the only way we are
>> going to move towards different energy sources and more efficient cars.
>> Nobody needs a 2 ton SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon!!!
>>

>I get 45 mile a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

You aren't counting the water, though.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:10:15 -0600, Llatikcuf <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Chuck wrote:
>>
>> I get 45 mile a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

>I like peanut butter sandwiches, have one every morning before I go to
>class. I would consider this to be a clean fuel.

Burritos have a higher yield per gram in my experience, but I will
admit that they aren't as clean.
--

On 6-Sep-2005, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ? I was on an aircraft carrier in the late 70s when we had the fuel
> shortages.

it wuz being hoarded at the campagnolo factory!

--
Sock Puppet

I want a SUV like this one http://www.organicengines.com/SUV/index.htm . :)

--