Gas will be $4.00 a gallon by Monday 9-05…

On 6 Sep 2005 15:45:59 -0700, "Bruce Jackson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> A surprising number of rec.bicycles.tech posters seem to lose their
>> heads whenever their dislike of cars is involved.

>I'm not about to get rid of my cars any time soon but to tell the truth
>I think gas is just too cheap here. Some of my coworkers drive their
>Chevy Surburbans 45 miles each way to and from work every day. If gas
>is so cheap that this seems reasonable to them than I say it is just
>too cheap. Now in light of the call to conserve my company is going to
>let employees work from home 2 days/week (which is certainly a pretty
>good idea but I can drive my efficient car my reasonable distance to
>work and back all week on less than half the gas they use in one day).
>
>Were it up to me I'd add $1/gal tax to gas and use all the money to
>fund mass transit, alternative fuels, and conservation. If we did this
>years ago we might not be so dependant on other nations for our
>strategic resources. In my book energy independance is a necessary
>component of national security; as long as we are so dependant on other
>nation's oil we are at their mercy.
>
>I'm planning on getting a diesel for my next vehicle. Hopefully by
>then biodiesel will be available near me. I'd much rather pay $5/gal
>and have my money go to American farmers than to pay $2/gal and have my
>money go to unfriendly nations and multinational corporations.
>
>My $0.02 anyway.

Dear Bruce,

As I said, a surprising number of rec.bicycles.tech posters
seem to lose their heads whenever their dislike of cars is
involved. Add foreign nations and corporations, if you like.

Carl Fogel

On 6-Sep-2005, [email protected] wrote:

> more concrete!!

Dear Gene,

Making Portland cement is very energy intensive.

--
Sock Puppet

Werehatrack wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2005 16:28:44 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >I would rate full-size pickups and the SUVs based upon them as above
> >average in driver accomodations, and SUVs based on mid-sized pickups as
> >distinctly below average in this regard. However, all of them are
> >surpassed by some small cars.

> Toyotas have, in the past, been particularly accommodating in this
> area.

My experience with Toyotas is mixed overall. The early-to-mid-'90s
Camry was very roomy, and it became my rental car of first resort for a
time. But I have noticed that Toyota compact pickup trucks are not big
enough for me to drive one very far without suffering. On average,
Toyotas have been way more accomodating than Ford and GM cars. So have
Hondas.

"Cab-forward" Chryslers have roomier driver's seats than most, and some
mammoth sedans-- Ford Crown Victorias and Mercury Grand Marquises come
to mind-- are abysmally crowded, for no good reason I can identify.

Chalo Colina

On 2005-09-07, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:10:15 -0600, Llatikcuf <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Chuck wrote:
>>>
>>> I get 45 mile a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

>>I like peanut butter sandwiches, have one every morning before I go to
>>class. I would consider this to be a clean fuel.

> Burritos have a higher yield per gram in my experience, but I will
> admit that they aren't as clean.

Maybe they are higher per gram but, I doubt per sandwich vs. burritos.
My samdwiches are on giant pieces of bread with the peanut butter 3/8"
thick.

On 2005-09-07, peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>> Can you approximate an actual miles-per-dollar value?

>> You:
>> 6 bagels = $1.80.
>> 41.67 miles per dollar

>> 20 mpg car:
>> 6.67 miles per dollar

> Where do you find "bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples" at only 30 cents
> each?
>
> I've found that fuel costs for my Cannondale are generally as high per
> mile as they were for my car. It got 35 - 45 mpg, so at today's
> $3/gal. price that amounts to about 7.5 cents/mile. On my Cannondale a
> 100 mile ride requires an extra consumption of about 3000 kcal. so a
> $2.50 Whopper is good for about 20 miles. That makes the cost 12.5
> cents/mile. OTOH, refueling with a 2 L bottle of store-brand soda
> (1140 kcal) lets me go almost 40 miles for 80 cents or only 2
> cents/mile (but possibly higher dental bills later).

What a shame...do all that good for your body only to fill it with
garbage. Not to be insulting, but eating at BK or McD is bad. Might as
well carry a stick of butter around an use that as fuel.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
> the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
> highway...geeezzz...

The Toyota Landcruiser gets 17mpg:
http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/specs.html

Per D. Sørensen

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:19:18 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2005-09-07, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:10:15 -0600, Llatikcuf <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>I like peanut butter sandwiches, have one every morning before I go to
>>>class. I would consider this to be a clean fuel.

>> Burritos have a higher yield per gram in my experience, but I will
>> admit that they aren't as clean.

>Maybe they are higher per gram but, I doubt per sandwich vs. burritos.
>My samdwiches are on giant pieces of bread with the peanut butter 3/8"
>thick.

You've never had a burrito from Taqueria Arandas. Their regular-size
version weighs a bit over a pound, and the large one is two meals for
a hungry teenager. Taco Bell burritos are just appetizers.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Per peter:
>Where do you find "bagel-slathered-in-cooked-apples" at only 30 cents
>each?
>
>I've found that fuel costs for my Cannondale are generally as high per
>mile as they were for my car. It got 35 - 45 mpg, so at today's
>$3/gal. price that amounts to about 7.5 cents/mile. On my Cannondale a
>100 mile ride requires an extra consumption of about 3000 kcal. so a
>$2.50 Whopper is good for about 20 miles. That makes the cost 12.5
>cents/mile. OTOH, refueling with a 2 L bottle of store-brand soda
>(1140 kcal) lets me go almost 40 miles for 80 cents or only 2
>cents/mile (but possibly higher dental bills later).

This is getting interesting....
--
PeteCresswell

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:06:13 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You've never had a burrito from Taqueria Arandas. Their regular-size
>version weighs a bit over a pound, and the large one is two meals for
>a hungry teenager.

Those should be called "burros."

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On 2005-09-07, Per D. Sørensen <perdaniel@_RM_gmail.com> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>

>> I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
>> the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
>> highway...geeezzz...
>>

> The Toyota Landcruiser gets 17mpg:
> http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/specs.html
>
> Per D. Sørensen

That's an outright lie. T have 2 4runners and (4 and 6 cylinders) and
only get that on the highway. I get better mileage with my 1978 Toyota
Hilux RV than a 4runner. I'm sure LandCrusers are worse. BTW, anyone
have a 1970 Land Cruiser for sale?

Per D. Sørensen wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>

> > I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
> > the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
> > highway...geeezzz...
> >

> The Toyota Landcruiser gets 17mpg:
> http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/specs.html
>
> Per D. Sørensen

Is that where 'YMMV' comes from? An article yesterday stated that
window MPG stickers might be off by 50%(and the actual MPG will be
lower, not higher). These numbers come from taking a vehicle and
putting it on a inside dynamometer, thing.not actual use.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
> the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
> highway...geeezzz...

I think the EPA rated mileage is 16/20. That would be with the smaller
V8 and 2WD. Of course, the majority of these vehicles are sold with 4WD
and the larger motor. As far as full size SUV's go, that's pretty
decent mileage. I've driven a Yukon several times. I love it. Much more
than the torqueless ULEV vtech Honda I drive. Anyway, I've gotten close
to the EPA highway mileage in the Yukon when driving on the interstate
in good conditions.

Chuck wrote:
> On 2005-09-07, Per D. Sørensen <perdaniel@_RM_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>

>>>I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
>>>the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
>>>highway...geeezzz...
>>>

>>The Toyota Landcruiser gets 17mpg:
>>http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/specs.html
>>

> That's an outright lie. T have 2 4runners and (4 and 6 cylinders) and
> only get that on the highway. I get better mileage with my 1978 Toyota
> Hilux RV than a 4runner. I'm sure LandCrusers are worse. BTW, anyone
> have a 1970 Land Cruiser for sale?

You will have to take that up with the EPA, they made the calculations.
BTW 17mpg is on the highway, it only gets 13 in the city. According
to the norwegian Toyota site it uses 1.34l on 10km, which is a little
better than 17mpg: http://www.toyota.no/showroom/land_cruiser_100/specs.asp

I have never driven one of those behemoths, but my experience with the
fuel economy numbers they use in advertising here is that they are
equal to what I get if I drive carefully. If I drive like a maniac
I don't get anywhere near the advertised numbers.

--

Per D. Sørensen

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Per D. Sørensen wrote:
>
>>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>

>>>I saw an add for a Yukon, stating that is had 'the best V8 mileage',
>>>the little note at the bottom said it's milage was 15mpg
>>>highway...geeezzz...
>>>

>>The Toyota Landcruiser gets 17mpg:
>>http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/specs.html
>>
>>Per D. Sørensen

> Is that where 'YMMV' comes from? An article yesterday stated that
> window MPG stickers might be off by 50%(and the actual MPG will be
> lower, not higher).

The "actual" MPG will be very dependent on how you drive.

> These numbers come from taking a vehicle and
> putting it on a inside dynamometer, thing.not actual use.

That doesn't sound ideal. How do they calculate the effects of
different aerodynamics?

--

Per D. Sørensen

> This is very reliable information I got from the person who runs my local
> Mobil station. Keep in mind this information is coming from St. Louis
> Missouri.
>
> By this coming Monday (in two days) gas everywhere (as in nation wide)
> will
> be $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. Within two weeks after that it
> will
> be $5.00 a gallon.

Umm... what happened? Hasn't gone above $3.07 (regular) on the San Francisco
Peninsula.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com