Gas

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Larry Schudt, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Larry Schudt

    Larry Schudt Guest

    Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently, I
    swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This also
    affects my ability to eat and drink.

    Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

    Thanks larry

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Larry Schudt <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
    > I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
    > also affects my ability to eat and drink.

    Are you sure it is from eating air and not all that whole grain energy food you ate along the way?

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
    > I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
    > also affects my ability to eat and drink.
    >
    > Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

    I have found that if I have my neck bent back, such as when looking down the road while on the
    drops, I tend to swallow air, so maybe raising your bars or spending less time on the drops might
    help. If that's not an option, then try just sitting more upright for a few minutes every hour or
    so, and maybe you can burp it out. I haven't been on any rides long enough for it to be a problem,
    but maybe it's worth a try. YMMV.

    it's morning".

  4. Larry Schudt

    Larry Schudt Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:16:35 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are you sure it is from eating air and not all that whole grain energy food you ate along the way?

    Fairly certain. I don't do whole grain energy food... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies,
    bananas. The usual suspects on an invitational. These do not normally cause problems for me, so I
    don't think they're the cause.

    I think that mouth breathing is the problem and it's not something I can stop, so need to know how
    to deal with it without bloating.

    Regards, Larry

  5. Larry Schudt

    Larry Schudt Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:39:45 -0400, archer <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have found that if I have my neck bent back, such as when looking down the road while on the
    >drops, I tend to swallow air, so maybe raising your bars or spending less time on the drops might
    >help. If that's not an option, then try just sitting more upright for a few minutes every hour or
    >so, and maybe you can burp it out. I haven't been on any rides long enough for it to be a problem,
    >but maybe it's worth a try. YMMV.

    Burping it out helps eventually, but isn't fast enough. As long as I continue to ride, the best that
    I can hope for is to get rid of it as fast as I take in more, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

    larry

  6. Cal

    Cal Guest

    >Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

    Stay in FRONT of you!

  7. >Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

    you could put it to practical use - fart and have it act as your own personal turbo-charger ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Zeeman

    Zeeman Guest

    "Larry Schudt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
    > I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
    > also affects my ability to eat and drink.

    Gas from which end? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your problem is from swallowing air. If you
    swallowed air, you would burp it back out. It wouldn't get stuck or make it to the, umm...other end.

    Gassiness often accompanies stress, physical or emotional. Chemical changes in your gut as you
    respond to that stress may cause you to bloat up. You may want to try an over-the-counter product
    like Phazyme to cut down on the gas. Tinker with what you eat and when you eat it, as well. Again, I
    really doubt the explanation lies in swallowing air.

  9. Larry Schudt

    Larry Schudt Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:11:36 -0700, "zeeman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gas from which end? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your problem is from swallowing air. If you
    >swallowed air, you would burp it back out. It wouldn't get stuck or make it to the,
    >umm...other end.
    >
    >Gassiness often accompanies stress, physical or emotional. Chemical changes in your gut as you
    >respond to that stress may cause you to bloat up. You may want to try an over-the-counter product
    >like Phazyme to cut down on the gas. Tinker with what you eat and when you eat it, as well. Again,
    >I really doubt the explanation lies in swallowing air.

    Eventually it burps back out, but during a ride it accumulates faster than it burps out. That's what
    makes it so damn uncomfortable! I think I'll try one of the OTC gas absorbers.

    larry

  10. Larry Schudt wrote:
    > Eventually it burps back out, but during a ride it accumulates faster than it burps out. That's
    > what makes it so damn uncomfortable! I think I'll try one of the OTC gas absorbers.

    I used to have chronic gas. Phazyme and Beano did virtually nothing to help. What did help was
    learning to avoid certain foods that give me gas and eating a cup of yogurt twice a day.