Gas

Larry Schudt

Guest
Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently, I
swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This also
affects my ability to eat and drink.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

Thanks larry

Larry Schudt <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
> I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
> also affects my ability to eat and drink.

Are you sure it is from eating air and not all that whole grain energy food you ate along the way?

> Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
> I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
> also affects my ability to eat and drink.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

I have found that if I have my neck bent back, such as when looking down the road while on the
drops, I tend to swallow air, so maybe raising your bars or spending less time on the drops might
help. If that's not an option, then try just sitting more upright for a few minutes every hour or
so, and maybe you can burp it out. I haven't been on any rides long enough for it to be a problem,
but maybe it's worth a try. YMMV.

it's morning".

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:16:35 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>Are you sure it is from eating air and not all that whole grain energy food you ate along the way?

Fairly certain. I don't do whole grain energy food... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies,
bananas. The usual suspects on an invitational. These do not normally cause problems for me, so I
don't think they're the cause.

I think that mouth breathing is the problem and it's not something I can stop, so need to know how
to deal with it without bloating.

Regards, Larry

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:39:45 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have found that if I have my neck bent back, such as when looking down the road while on the
>drops, I tend to swallow air, so maybe raising your bars or spending less time on the drops might
>help. If that's not an option, then try just sitting more upright for a few minutes every hour or
>so, and maybe you can burp it out. I haven't been on any rides long enough for it to be a problem,
>but maybe it's worth a try. YMMV.

Burping it out helps eventually, but isn't fast enough. As long as I continue to ride, the best that
I can hope for is to get rid of it as fast as I take in more, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

larry

>Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

Stay in FRONT of you!

>Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it?

you could put it to practical use - fart and have it act as your own personal turbo-charger ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

"Larry Schudt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday I finished my first century of the year and my old bugaboo surfaced... gas. Apparently,
> I swallow a lot of air when I ride and after about 60 miles or so, I feel really bloated. This
> also affects my ability to eat and drink.

Gas from which end? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your problem is from swallowing air. If you
swallowed air, you would burp it back out. It wouldn't get stuck or make it to the, umm...other end.

Gassiness often accompanies stress, physical or emotional. Chemical changes in your gut as you
respond to that stress may cause you to bloat up. You may want to try an over-the-counter product
like Phazyme to cut down on the gas. Tinker with what you eat and when you eat it, as well. Again, I
really doubt the explanation lies in swallowing air.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:11:36 -0700, "zeeman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gas from which end? I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your problem is from swallowing air. If you
>swallowed air, you would burp it back out. It wouldn't get stuck or make it to the,
>umm...other end.
>
>Gassiness often accompanies stress, physical or emotional. Chemical changes in your gut as you
>respond to that stress may cause you to bloat up. You may want to try an over-the-counter product
>like Phazyme to cut down on the gas. Tinker with what you eat and when you eat it, as well. Again,
>I really doubt the explanation lies in swallowing air.

Eventually it burps back out, but during a ride it accumulates faster than it burps out. That's what
makes it so damn uncomfortable! I think I'll try one of the OTC gas absorbers.

larry

Larry Schudt wrote:
> Eventually it burps back out, but during a ride it accumulates faster than it burps out. That's
> what makes it so damn uncomfortable! I think I'll try one of the OTC gas absorbers.

I used to have chronic gas. Phazyme and Beano did virtually nothing to help. What did help was
learning to avoid certain foods that give me gas and eating a cup of yogurt twice a day.