Gaspe in June (family tour) Information requested.

Joeli

Guest
I am thinking of an unsupported family tour in the Gaspe Peninsula (June). Can anybody who has been
there comment whether this area is suitable for riding with kids.

I am looking for quite roads and nothing too hilly.

Thanks

Yoel

Vancouver BC Canada

"Joeli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I am thinking of an unsupported family tour in the Gaspe Peninsula (June). Can anybody who has
> been there comment whether this area is suitable for riding with kids.
>
> I am looking for quite roads and nothing too hilly.

My recollection is one road around the peninsula, Rt 132 in the SW near Cambellton on Chaleur Bay,
to the town of Gaspe, then around to the Gulf of St. Lawrence side. One road meaning more traffic at
times, especially barely mobile homes going to and from the Nat'l Park.

Hilly also, as it's the end of the Appalachian Mts.

Windy too, especially on the north side.

Beautiful area, about the prettiest I've seen (especially the St. Lawrence side) in all of
Atlantic Canada.

Maybe a better choice would be Prince Edward Isle ?, or the west sections of Nova Scotia ?.

Steve B.

My son (22) and I rode from Montreal to Perce in sept/oct of 99. Around 1600km over around 3 weeks.
Followed the St Lawrence most of the way, switching sides every once and awhile.

At that time of year (autumn) there wasn't much traffic and we really didn't have any problems that
way. I suspect that in tourist season traffic could be a problem, especially for kids. I can't
recall any dedicated bike lanes/paths, the shoulder was the rule, but quite adequate.

There were many great days that were mostly flat, but once we hit the Gaspe proper, there were
plenty of hills, lots of hard climbing when riding a fully loaded tourer. Several times, in the late
afternoon, we decided to push on to the next town, only to discover a short distance on the map
translated to lots of hills and arriving at the next town after dark. There were several hills that
were steep enough to make me get off and push, and that happens very rarely on most trips. The
downhills were fun though (we tried to outdo each other setting "max speed" on our cycle computers .
. . 52mph on a fully loaded tourer! Like I said, steep!).

On the plus side, the scenery was amazing, the people very friendly, you get to experience a
different culture, and the trip was very affordable.

If you'd like more details, let me know.

Jed