Gatorade A Scam?

Is Gatorade a scam? I ask this because it tastes good and I'm not so
convinced that something that tastes good is the best fluid for the
body. I think it might very well have to do with selling the stuff.
Maybe if you tried to sell the most optimal fluid the taste would not
allow it to sell? Is there any scientific evidence that indicates the
best fluid for the body after exercise? I don't want to hear it from
the Gatorade company. Does anyone have an unbiased facts?

On 2005-07-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is Gatorade a scam? I ask this because it tastes good

No it doesn't. One of the regulars calls it "gatorbarf" and I'm
inclined to agree with him (at least on that item).

> and I'm not so
> convinced that something that tastes good is the best fluid for the
> body.

A high electrolyte content could make a drink unpalatable (like
gatorade). The endurance formula has double the electrolytes of
the original mix, which probably means it tastes even worse (if
that's possible) but also makes it a better hydration mix.

> I think it might very well have to do with selling the stuff.
> Maybe if you tried to sell the most optimal fluid the taste would not
> allow it to sell?

Yeah, but they can sidestep that problem by marketting different
drinks that have variable levels of ickiness.

> Is there any scientific evidence that indicates the
> best fluid for the body after exercise?

No need to be drinking anything as disgusting as gatorade after
exercise. Just get something that has some protein and carbs, and
tastes good. I usually pick up some low fat ice cream after a long
run. Tastes a hell of a lot better than any of the gatorbarf formulas,
and gets the job done (carbs and protein)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Ripping off joggers?...........no harm, no foul.

>You're just cranky because the other troll (the one who's actually
funny sometimes) is back.>

I didn't know Anne was gone.

>Calm down, have a beer or something (and

don't water it down).>

Beer (and ice cream) SUCK! I'm a non-drinker, I smoke bud instead.
Booze is for losers, and ice cream for fattys.

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-07-05, [email protected] <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Is Gatorade a scam? I ask this because it tastes good

Rhetorical but do you normally hate sugar ?

> No it doesn't. One of the regulars calls it "gatorbarf" and I'm
> inclined to agree with him (at least on that item).

I agree will all of Donovan's post. It happens. ;)

Gatorabarf was a case of perfect timing and incredible marketing. The
reason it shows up at so many races is cost, either very low or donated.
Almost every 5k through the marathon that I have run or volunteered
serves G. It's not until you get into ultra races that you will get a
better composition drink from maltodextrin.

Taste is always a factor and very difficult to create the all thrilling
palate pleaser. When I started running 20 years ago and just like
today, it was served at every race and always one of the green flavors.
While you may think it tastes good today, try a steady diet of it over
time. wait until a marathon where the 25th cup comes out your nose.

According to Sam the G lab does some great testing which has resulted in
what I would consider a questionable endurance formula. I have no idea
about the taste since I find the label alone repulsive. When I compare
labels all I see is the same 14G of carbs from sugar(and no details in
either label of the sugar source) with Na going from 110mg to 200mg and
K 30mg to 90mg. The increase in salt is needed for longer races but I
question the value of the increase in K. IMO, it's still cheap sugar
water with more Na and K. If they had changed the source of the carbs I
might think they were serious about creating a real endurance drink but
as we all know the bottom line is money and sucrose/fructose keeps the
cost down and the profits ups.

-DF

Doug Freese wrote:

> According to Sam the G lab does some great testing which has resulted in
> what I would consider a questionable endurance formula. I have no idea
> about the taste since I find the label alone repulsive. When I compare
> labels all I see is the same 14G of carbs from sugar(and no details in
> either label of the sugar source) with Na going from 110mg to 200mg and
> K 30mg to 90mg. The increase in salt is needed for longer races but I
> question the value of the increase in K. IMO, it's still cheap sugar
> water with more Na and K. If they had changed the source of the carbs I
> might think they were serious about creating a real endurance drink but
> as we all know the bottom line is money and sucrose/fructose keeps the
> cost down and the profits ups.

In reading the "The Endurance Athlete's GUIDE to SUCCESS," a 68 page
document by Hammer Nutrition
https://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf,
I came accross something that I never heard of before. Mainly that
maltodextrin based sports drinks match body fluid osmolality at a much
higher conentration (15-18%), rather than the normal 6-8% with simple
sugar-based drinks.

They recommend (for a body weight of 155-190 pounds) 2.5 to 2.75
scoops/hour. 2.5 scoops mixed with 12 oz of water would be 250
calories, 62g of carbs. By my calculatioin this is 17.6% carb
concentration. Am I missing something here. This seems like quite a
departure from what I normally reed.

>From https://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

"For endurance athletes, the primary problem
with fuels containing simple sugars is that they
must be mixed in weak 6-8% solutions in order
to match body fluid osmolality and thus be
digested with any efficiency. Unfortunately,
solutions mixed and consumed at this concentration
only provide about 100 calories per
h o u r, totally inadequate for maintaining energy
production on an hourly basis. Using a 6-8%
solution to obtain adequate calories means
your fluid intake becomes so high to cause discomfort,
bloating, and possibly oversupplying
your body to the point of fluid intoxication.
You can't make a "double or triple strength"
mixture from a simple sugar-based carbohydrate
fuel in the hopes of obtaining adequate
calories because the concentration of that
mixture, now far beyond the 6-8% mark, will
remain in your stomach until sufficiently
diluted, which may cause substantial stomach
distress. You can drink more fluids in the
hopes of "self diluting" the overly concentrated
mixture, but remember that you'll increase
the risk of over-hydration. However, if you
don't dilute with more water and electrolytes,
your body will recruit these from other areas
that critically need them and divert them to
the digestive system to deal with the concentrated
simple sugar mix. This can result in a
variety of stomach-related distresses, not to
mention increased cramping potential.
Simply put, simple sugar-based drinks or gels
have to be mixed and consumed at very dilute
calorically weak concentrations in order to be
digested with any efficiency. A simple sugarbased
product used at a properly mixed
concentration cannot provide adequate calories
to sustain energy production. Any way
you look at it, fuels containing simple sugars
are an inefficient, inappropriate way to fuel
your body during prolonged exercise.

Complex carbohydrates (polysaccharides) are
the wisest choice for endurance athletes, as
they allow your digestive system to rapidly
and efficiently process a greater volume of
calories, providing steady energy. Unlike simple
sugars, which match body fluid osmolality
at 6-8% solutions, complex carbohydrates
match body fluid osmolality at substantially
more concentrated 15-18% solutions. Even at
this seemingly high concentration, complex
carbohydrates (such as maltodextrins and
glucose polymers) will empty the stomach at
the same efficient rate as normal body fluids
and provide up to three times more energy
than simple sugar mixtures, which means
you can fulfill your caloric requirements without
running the risk of over-hydration or a
variety of stomach related maladies.

Recommendation :
To get the proper amount of easily digested
calories, rely on fuels that use complex carbohydrates
(maltodextrins or glucose polymers) only, with no added
simple sugar as their carbohydrate
source. Hammer Gel and Hammer
HEED are ideal for workouts and races of up
to two hours. For longer workouts and races,
select Perpetuem or Sustained Energy as your
primary fuel choice."

--
Phil M.

Phil said:
> I came accross something that I never heard of before. Mainly
> that maltodextrin based sports drinks match body fluid
> osmolality at a much higher conentration (15-18%), rather than
> the normal 6-8% with simple sugar-based drinks.

That is certainly interesting.

Anecdotally, Hammer Gel is the worst gel or drink I've tried, when it
comes to my guts' comfort on a long run. Poor experiment: n=1, sloppy
protocol, only two trials... but I was and remain seriously disinclined
to give it a third.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gatorabarf was a case of perfect timing and incredible marketing. The
> reason it shows up at so many races is cost, either very low or donated.
> Almost every 5k through the marathon that I have run or volunteered
> serves G. It's not until you get into ultra races that you will get a
> better composition drink from maltodextrin.

Many people know that Gatorade was invented by the University of Florida
for the Florida Gators football team. However, far fewer people know the
there was a competing product from in-state rival Florida State. Like
VHS vs. Beta, Gatorade was the inferior product, but it ended up winning
the marketing war, mostly because no one wanted to drink Seminole Fluid.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

> No it doesn't. One of the regulars calls it "gatorbarf" and I'm
> inclined to agree with him (at least on that item).

I agree will all of Donovan's post.
---------

two complaining whining babies. micro-focused on in race hydration
when in the big picture/scope...most racers probably consume a vast
array of "mis-steps" 1, 2, and 3 days prior to the event.

racing in 80 degree heat & 80 on the humidity index....that damn
gatorade taste damn fine imo...especially in the latter miles. what's
to complain about? we're not talking before and after race drinks....
we're talking about the only **** on the table at the time....

you should know better DF to ***** about gatorade. how many times have
you raced and grabbed a cup of water from a local intending to do
well....in front of their house and in the spirit...only to spit out
that F'ing garden hose **** water?

i won't ***** about gatorade. that BS has been heavenly to me too many
times...in desparate points/moments in racing. Gatorade imo is kind of
like Pegs. I'm not gonna bad mouth Pegs for the same damn reason
(best option at the time).

2 months ago in a race...the table was spread with Amino Vital. I saw
a guy puke that **** out after 1 gulp in stride in a race...

it ain't a perfect world folks. in my local races. the Grade is
usually the first set of tables, the water the second....I usually
might sip the Grade....then grab the water and slam it in my face to
reinvigorate...

Oh Lance, you are SO manly! And mucho macho. What a he'man you are.

Gatorade must taste good since its sales are in the billions of dollars.

I would say the science is pretty solid. A PubMed search would turn up
independent answers.

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-07-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Is Gatorade a scam? I ask this because it tastes good

> No it doesn't. One of the regulars calls it "gatorbarf" and I'm
> inclined to agree with him (at least on that item).
>
>> and I'm not so
>> convinced that something that tastes good is the best fluid for the
>> body.

> A high electrolyte content could make a drink unpalatable (like
> gatorade). The endurance formula has double the electrolytes of
> the original mix, which probably means it tastes even worse (if
> that's possible) but also makes it a better hydration mix.
>
>> I think it might very well have to do with selling the stuff.
>> Maybe if you tried to sell the most optimal fluid the taste would not
>> allow it to sell?

> Yeah, but they can sidestep that problem by marketting different
> drinks that have variable levels of ickiness.
>
>> Is there any scientific evidence that indicates the
>> best fluid for the body after exercise?

> No need to be drinking anything as disgusting as gatorade after
> exercise. Just get something that has some protein and carbs, and
> tastes good. I usually pick up some low fat ice cream after a long
> run. Tastes a hell of a lot better than any of the gatorbarf formulas,
> and gets the job done (carbs and protein)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi
> http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

It is true that FSU tried to copy Gatorade and got the formulation okay in
many ways except taste. The athletes would not drink the stuff.

Robert Cade is a very rich man--in those days the inventor even at a
University got to share in the profits. Although it has been sold 3 times
the original agreement gave Cade and crew royalties in perpertuity---perhaps
the greatest contract ever written.
news:[email protected]...