Gatorade alternative?

Julia Altshuler

Guest
I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
was well on way to).

--Lia

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

I am sorry that you are feeling poorly and I hope that you will soon
be your own, happy self. :eek:)

I find that a good herbal tea, either hot or chilled and served over
ice with a dash of lemon juice, is very refreshing on a day such as
you describe. Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

Gatorade is plain nasty. Take care, M

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:22:42a, Julia Altshuler wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

Gotta keep those electric lights burning! :)

http://www.lifesvigor.com/electroBlast.html

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in news:J5qdnX9J8OW3w0PfRVn-
[email protected]:

> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

Try Pedialyte. It's in the baby section of the supermarket. I had to drink
the stuff when I got home from the hospital the first time. Do NOT get the
bubble gum flavored (I can't even describe it, the taste is so bad). The
orange flavored is good and it does make a decent screwdriver ;)

Michael

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:22:42a, Julia Altshuler wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
>> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just
>> being lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was
>> sick, had slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather
>> reports that I damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in
>> the sun on the hottest and most humid day of the year. I was
>> drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't
>> think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand until today.
>> Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
>> circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that
>> doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper
>> electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating stomach distress
>> (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I was well on way
>> to).
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> Gotta keep those electric lights burning! :)
>
> http://www.lifesvigor.com/electroBlast.html

Hmmm... Those tablets are a bit less expensive than Pedialyte, but
Pedialyte is the doctor's choice ;)

Michael

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden, ignored
>how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being lazy by
>putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had slept most
>of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I damn near gave
>myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and most humid
>day of the year. I was drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly
>enough. I didn't think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand
>until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
>circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that doesn't
>taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper electrolyte balance
>and is recommended for treating stomach distress (which I had only a
>little) and overheating (which I was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
> Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
> in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
> else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
> need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
> No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
> does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

For a few summers while attending university I had a summer job in an alloy
smelting plant that was so hot we had to wear long underwear and wool coats to
protect us from the heat. In those days the plant had dispensers of little pink
salt tablets. When I learned to recognize the need for salt I would pop one of
those pills with a little bit of water and would feel better within minutes.
Apparently they no longer use salt pills, but I still get cravings for salt when
I have been sweating a lot. I know I need it when I look at the salt shaker and
think about how good it tastes, and it does taste good when you need it.

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:41:13a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
>> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
>> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
>> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
>> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
>> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
>> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
>> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
>> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
>> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
>> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
>> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
>> was well on way to).
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> I am sorry that you are feeling poorly and I hope that you will soon
> be your own, happy self. :eek:)
>
> I find that a good herbal tea, either hot or chilled and served over
> ice with a dash of lemon juice, is very refreshing on a day such as
> you describe. Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
> me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

hMM... The red color of that "water" is all too revealing! :) (or so
I've been told)

> Gatorade is plain nasty. Take care, M

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
>> Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
>> Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most
>> people
>> in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost
>> everyone
>> else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes
>> you
>> need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium
>> etc?
>> No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
>> does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.
>>

> For a few summers while attending university I had a summer job in an
> alloy
> smelting plant that was so hot we had to wear long underwear and wool
> coats to
> protect us from the heat. In those days the plant had dispensers of
> little pink
> salt tablets. When I learned to recognize the need for salt I would pop
> one of
> those pills with a little bit of water and would feel better within
> minutes.
> Apparently they no longer use salt pills, but I still get cravings for
> salt when
> I have been sweating a lot. I know I need it when I look at the salt
> shaker and
> think about how good it tastes, and it does taste good when you need it.

Agreed - but such situations are rare. I must say that I have the greatest
respect for people who can do such jobs. Extreme heat turns me into a
babbling pile of limp jello.

--
Peter Aitken

Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside
> in the garden, [...and] damn near gave myself heat
> exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and
> most humid day of the year.

Are there other days where physical labor, Ma Nature, and one's hobbies
coexist in such a symbiotic manner? <G>

Pedialite is another product. It tastes similar to soda water so adding
some to fruit juice would help mask the more nasty after-taste. You can
purchase it by the 1/2-gallon at most grocery and drug stores.

The Ranger

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Agreed - but such situations are rare. I must say that I have the greatest
> respect for people who can do such jobs. Extreme heat turns me into a
> babbling pile of limp jello.

I was in my early 20's and I knew that it was only for four months each year.
To be honest, I didn't have to work that hard, maybe 15-20 minutes out of each
hour. But when I hd work to do it was incredibly hot. When I tapped my furnace
I work a visor and welding googles as well as safety glasses. As soon as that
molten metal started flowing by the temperature soared and my forehead flowed
with so much sweat that it ran down my safety glasses and immediately
evaporated, leaving a film of salt. After the furnace was tapped we had to
adjust or replace the graphite electrodes. That involved taking a deep breath,
running in and working for as long as you could hold your breath, and it took
several trips in to get it done. It made my clothes smell like they were being
ironed.

After the furnaces were started up again I could go and sit in front of a fan
in the shade and only had to look inside the furnace every 10 minutes or so and
push a few buttons. I got used to getting small burns every day, and the
occasional big burn. The money was great. It was a long time after graduation
before I was earning as much as I did on that summer job, but the post
graduation work was more enjoyable and a darned sight safer.

Back to food...... it was while working there that I developed an appreciation
for clear, hot tea as a refreshing and thirst quenching drink.

Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).

Julia,

On overheating, since you were at home, a cold shower (you'll know when
you're dialed in to the right temperature!) would help.

Out in public, I wear a neck cooler* to help stay cool.

Andy

* http://www.miracool.com/miracool/bandana.html
(One of many sites that sell them)
http://watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
(to make yourself)

In article <[email protected]>, Margaret Suran
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
> me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

<coughs discreetly>
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" wrote:
> >I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden, ignored
> >how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being lazy by
> >putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had slept most
> >of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I damn near gave
> >myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and most humid
> >day of the year. I was drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly
> >enough. I didn't think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand
> >until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
> >circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that doesn't
> >taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper electrolyte balance
> >and is recommended for treating stomach distress (which I had only a
> >little) and overheating (which I was well on way to).

> Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.

Agreed, a total waste of money.

> Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
> in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
> else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
> need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
> No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
> does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

Need liquid and a little salt. Downing a quart bottle of ice cold
Manischewitz borscht will fix you up quick.

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
snip
I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like
> medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an
> alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that has the
> proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating stomach
> distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I was well on
> way to).
>

> --Lia

I agree that regular Gatorade tastes nasty. However, if you look around in
the beverage section of your supermarket, I'm sure that you will find
powdered versions of Gatorade that come in many different flavors. I like
one that is similar to Hawaiian Punch. Or you could go over to the pharmacy
section and pick up some of the bottled stuff that is made for children and
I think there are some for adults that are meant to restore electrolyte
balance and rehydrate after illness. I don't know what they taste like. I
don't remember where I read it, but I think it takes 24 hours and more to
rehydrate the body and longer as you get older. I hope you are a sweet
young thing. ;o}
Janet

Andy wrote:

> On overheating, a cold shower would help.

Hmm, I don't think they're talking that kinda overheating. hehe

Sheldon

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1121883691.717323.116090
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> On overheating, a cold shower would help.

> Hmm, I don't think they're talking that kinda overheating. hehe
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon,

There ya go again, taking creative license!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

You could have had a V8!! It has the salt and minerals plus some
vitamins.

Cam

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
> was well on way to).
>

> --Lia

Most groceries and pharmacies sell "Pedialyte" for children in your
condition. Call your pharmacy and ask if there's anything similar
available for adults.

gloria p

I suppose its all a matter of 'differn' strokes' but I have a sauna and
use it twice a day. I always take something liquid in to help.
Gatorade works great for me and I like it, although it is a little
pricey. I've found some of the ripoff brands to be pretty good too.