Gatorade alternative?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Julia Altshuler, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    was well on way to).

    --Lia

    Tags:

  2. Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    > ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    > lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    > slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    > damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    > hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    > juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    > like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    > there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    I am sorry that you are feeling poorly and I hope that you will soon
    be your own, happy self. :eek:)

    I find that a good herbal tea, either hot or chilled and served over
    ice with a dash of lemon juice, is very refreshing on a day such as
    you describe. Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
    me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

    Gatorade is plain nasty. Take care, M

  3. On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:22:42a, Julia Altshuler wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    > ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    > lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    > slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    > damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    > hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    > juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    > like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    > there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    Gotta keep those electric lights burning! :)

    http://www.lifesvigor.com/electroBlast.html

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  4. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in news:J5qdnX9J8OW3w0PfRVn-
    [email protected]:

    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    > ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    > lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    > slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    > damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    > hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    > juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    > like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    > there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    Try Pedialyte. It's in the baby section of the supermarket. I had to drink
    the stuff when I got home from the hospital the first time. Do NOT get the
    bubble gum flavored (I can't even describe it, the taste is so bad). The
    orange flavored is good and it does make a decent screwdriver ;)

    Michael

  5. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:22:42a, Julia Altshuler wrote in
    > rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    >> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just
    >> being lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was
    >> sick, had slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather
    >> reports that I damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in
    >> the sun on the hottest and most humid day of the year. I was
    >> drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't
    >> think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand until today.
    >> Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
    >> circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that
    >> doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper
    >> electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating stomach distress
    >> (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I was well on way
    >> to).
    >>

    >> --Lia
    >>

    > Gotta keep those electric lights burning! :)
    >
    > http://www.lifesvigor.com/electroBlast.html

    Hmmm... Those tablets are a bit less expensive than Pedialyte, but
    Pedialyte is the doctor's choice ;)

    Michael

  6. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden, ignored
    >how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being lazy by
    >putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had slept most
    >of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I damn near gave
    >myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and most humid
    >day of the year. I was drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly
    >enough. I didn't think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand
    >until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
    >circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that doesn't
    >taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper electrolyte balance
    >and is recommended for treating stomach distress (which I had only a
    >little) and overheating (which I was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
    Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
    in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
    else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
    need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
    No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
    does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
    > Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
    > in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
    > else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
    > need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
    > No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
    > does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

    For a few summers while attending university I had a summer job in an alloy
    smelting plant that was so hot we had to wear long underwear and wool coats to
    protect us from the heat. In those days the plant had dispensers of little pink
    salt tablets. When I learned to recognize the need for salt I would pop one of
    those pills with a little bit of water and would feel better within minutes.
    Apparently they no longer use salt pills, but I still get cravings for salt when
    I have been sweating a lot. I know I need it when I look at the salt shaker and
    think about how good it tastes, and it does taste good when you need it.

  8. On Wed 20 Jul 2005 07:41:13a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Julia Altshuler wrote:
    >> I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    >> ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    >> lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    >> slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    >> damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    >> hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    >> juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    >> Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    >> like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    >> there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    >> has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    >> stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    >> was well on way to).
    >>

    >> --Lia
    >>

    > I am sorry that you are feeling poorly and I hope that you will soon
    > be your own, happy self. :eek:)
    >
    > I find that a good herbal tea, either hot or chilled and served over
    > ice with a dash of lemon juice, is very refreshing on a day such as
    > you describe. Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
    > me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

    hMM... The red color of that "water" is all too revealing! :) (or so
    I've been told)

    > Gatorade is plain nasty. Take care, M

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  9. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Peter Aitken wrote:
    >
    >> Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.
    >> Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most
    >> people
    >> in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost
    >> everyone
    >> else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes
    >> you
    >> need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium
    >> etc?
    >> No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
    >> does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.
    >>

    > For a few summers while attending university I had a summer job in an
    > alloy
    > smelting plant that was so hot we had to wear long underwear and wool
    > coats to
    > protect us from the heat. In those days the plant had dispensers of
    > little pink
    > salt tablets. When I learned to recognize the need for salt I would pop
    > one of
    > those pills with a little bit of water and would feel better within
    > minutes.
    > Apparently they no longer use salt pills, but I still get cravings for
    > salt when
    > I have been sweating a lot. I know I need it when I look at the salt
    > shaker and
    > think about how good it tastes, and it does taste good when you need it.

    Agreed - but such situations are rare. I must say that I have the greatest
    respect for people who can do such jobs. Extreme heat turns me into a
    babbling pile of limp jello.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  10. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside
    > in the garden, [...and] damn near gave myself heat
    > exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and
    > most humid day of the year.

    Are there other days where physical labor, Ma Nature, and one's hobbies
    coexist in such a symbiotic manner? <G>

    Pedialite is another product. It tastes similar to soda water so adding
    some to fruit juice would help mask the more nasty after-taste. You can
    purchase it by the 1/2-gallon at most grocery and drug stores.

    The Ranger

  11. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > Agreed - but such situations are rare. I must say that I have the greatest
    > respect for people who can do such jobs. Extreme heat turns me into a
    > babbling pile of limp jello.

    I was in my early 20's and I knew that it was only for four months each year.
    To be honest, I didn't have to work that hard, maybe 15-20 minutes out of each
    hour. But when I hd work to do it was incredibly hot. When I tapped my furnace
    I work a visor and welding googles as well as safety glasses. As soon as that
    molten metal started flowing by the temperature soared and my forehead flowed
    with so much sweat that it ran down my safety glasses and immediately
    evaporated, leaving a film of salt. After the furnace was tapped we had to
    adjust or replace the graphite electrodes. That involved taking a deep breath,
    running in and working for as long as you could hold your breath, and it took
    several trips in to get it done. It made my clothes smell like they were being
    ironed.

    After the furnaces were started up again I could go and sit in front of a fan
    in the shade and only had to look inside the furnace every 10 minutes or so and
    push a few buttons. I got used to getting small burns every day, and the
    occasional big burn. The money was great. It was a long time after graduation
    before I was earning as much as I did on that summer job, but the post
    graduation work was more enjoyable and a darned sight safer.

    Back to food...... it was while working there that I developed an appreciation
    for clear, hot tea as a refreshing and thirst quenching drink.

  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).

    Julia,

    On overheating, since you were at home, a cold shower (you'll know when
    you're dialed in to the right temperature!) would help.

    Out in public, I wear a neck cooler* to help stay cool.

    Andy

    * http://www.miracool.com/miracool/bandana.html
    (One of many sites that sell them)
    http://watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
    (to make yourself)

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Margaret Suran
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Otherwise, plain tap water always hits the spot with
    > me. It is my favorite drink, in spite of what Barbara thinks.

    <coughs discreetly>
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

  14. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > "Julia Altshuler" wrote:
    > >I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden, ignored
    > >how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being lazy by
    > >putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had slept most
    > >of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I damn near gave
    > >myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the hottest and most humid
    > >day of the year. I was drinking water and orange juice, but not nearly
    > >enough. I didn't think of breaking out the Gatorade which I keep on hand
    > >until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like medicine. O.K., under the
    > >circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an alternative that doesn't
    > >taste so bad? I'd like something that has the proper electrolyte balance
    > >and is recommended for treating stomach distress (which I had only a
    > >little) and overheating (which I was well on way to).

    > Gatorade and similar products are one of the biggest ripoffs in history.

    Agreed, a total waste of money.

    > Physiologists know that electrolyte loss is never a problem for most people
    > in most situations. Lance Armstrong might need it, but for almost everyone
    > else the activities we engage in do not cause electrolyte problems. Yes you
    > need to drink water, and some sugar keeps the energy up, but potassium etc?
    > No way. Your problem was probably caused by the humidity - if your sweat
    > does not evaporate it does not cool you and you can get overheated.

    Need liquid and a little salt. Downing a quart bottle of ice cold
    Manischewitz borscht will fix you up quick.

  15. "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    snip
    I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes like
    > medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is there an
    > alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that has the
    > proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating stomach
    > distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I was well on
    > way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    I agree that regular Gatorade tastes nasty. However, if you look around in
    the beverage section of your supermarket, I'm sure that you will find
    powdered versions of Gatorade that come in many different flavors. I like
    one that is similar to Hawaiian Punch. Or you could go over to the pharmacy
    section and pick up some of the bottled stuff that is made for children and
    I think there are some for adults that are meant to restore electrolyte
    balance and rehydrate after illness. I don't know what they taste like. I
    don't remember where I read it, but I think it takes 24 hours and more to
    rehydrate the body and longer as you get older. I hope you are a sweet
    young thing. ;o}
    Janet

  16. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Andy wrote:

    > On overheating, a cold shower would help.

    Hmm, I don't think they're talking that kinda overheating. hehe

    Sheldon

  17. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1121883691.717323.116090
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Andy wrote:
    >>
    >> On overheating, a cold shower would help.

    > Hmm, I don't think they're talking that kinda overheating. hehe
    >
    > Sheldon

    Sheldon,

    There ya go again, taking creative license!

    --
    Andy
    http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

  18. Cam

    Cam Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    > ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    > lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    > slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    > damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    > hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    > juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    > like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    > there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    You could have had a V8!! It has the salt and minerals plus some
    vitamins.

    Cam

  19. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > I did something stupid yesterday. I worked outside in the garden,
    > ignored how sweaty, tired and achy I felt, told myself I was just being
    > lazy by putting off necessary work, didn't realize until I was sick, had
    > slept most of the afternoon and was watching the weather reports that I
    > damn near gave myself heat exhaustion by working in the sun on the
    > hottest and most humid day of the year. I was drinking water and orange
    > juice, but not nearly enough. I didn't think of breaking out the
    > Gatorade which I keep on hand until today. Yech! That stuff tastes
    > like medicine. O.K., under the circumstances, it IS medicine, but is
    > there an alternative that doesn't taste so bad? I'd like something that
    > has the proper electrolyte balance and is recommended for treating
    > stomach distress (which I had only a little) and overheating (which I
    > was well on way to).
    >

    > --Lia

    Most groceries and pharmacies sell "Pedialyte" for children in your
    condition. Call your pharmacy and ask if there's anything similar
    available for adults.

    gloria p

  20. Jim Davis

    Jim Davis Guest

    I suppose its all a matter of 'differn' strokes' but I have a sauna and
    use it twice a day. I always take something liquid in to help.
    Gatorade works great for me and I like it, although it is a little
    pricey. I've found some of the ripoff brands to be pretty good too.