Gatorade replacement?

jkemp9

Mar 18, 2007
I've been looking for a mix to replace gatorade. I'm from a small town and don't have a whole lot in the way of nutrion stores. There is a GNC and the only two drink mixes they have are Accelerade and Endurox R4. Has anyone used these? Does anyone know of anything better?
Thanks for any help

I use Hammer HEED ... works great. I have used Accelerade, and it worked well also.

After a ride I have used Endorox R4, and am currently using Hammer Recoverite.

I have heard good things about Cytomax as well.

Just make sure it has a base of malto-dexatrin (complex carb) and includes some simple sugars as well. They all have the sodium and potassium that you need ... protein helps on rides over 2 hours.

From Joe Friel's book "Cycling Past 50" (that's age not speed :))
"Owen Anderson, PhD, the publisher of Running Research News, suggests a recovery home brew, based on a study at the University of Florida by the scientist who created Gatorade. Anderson's drink provides the same benefits as expensive commercial products. To make your own home brew recovery drink, mix five tablespoons of sugar with 16 ozs of skim milk. Skim milk is used because fat delays digestion"
Five tablespoons of sugar seems like a lot to me and I've got to 6 teaspoons plus chocolate topping/syrup which would make a total of around 8 teaspoons of sugar. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable would know if 5 tablespoons of sugar is necessary?
During a race I use an Aussie sports drink, Staminade, which has the usual electrolytes and sugar.
Halcyon1

I got the accelerade earlier today and had some during a long tennis game tonight (after watching tivo'ed wimbledon this afternoon i couldn't help but play over ride). It seemed to do ok but it was just tennis. I plan, if it ever stops raining, to try it out for real soon. quick questions though. it says one scoop makes a 12oz drink, i think my bottles are close to 20oz. is it ok to water it down or should i keep the same concentration? also, can i absord the 5 or so grams of protein while i'm riding or should this be a late ride drink with gatorade or some other sugary mixture for the beginning?
thanks for the help.

I'd use two scoops. Use whatever you want ... more for more energy or less for less taste.

You'll burn the protein while riding. The carbs will just be burned slower, as the body uses the protein as well, but on longer rides the protein will help the body use the carbs more efficiently.

Accelerade is a good choice ... Gatorade is just "simple" sugar water. :p

jkemp9 said:
I've been looking for a mix to replace gatorade. I'm from a small town and don't have a whole lot in the way of nutrion stores. There is a GNC and the only two drink mixes they have are Accelerade and Endurox R4. Has anyone used these? Does anyone know of anything better?
Thanks for any help
I have used Accelerade and I love it. I actually feel like I get more endurance and not as tired when I drink it DURING riding/running. It has quite a bit of protein compared to carbs. Fruit punch tastes pretty good and I just tried lemonade (which tasted a lot like lemon meringue pie) Try it !!! 56 servings
is around $24.95

jkemp9 said:
Thanks for any help
I use the Accelerate for long distance rides and very fast pace rides over 40 miles. On those occasions I will use the R4 for recovery and then drink at least an additional glass of water after. Both products have their use. I am very satisfied with them. I like the fruit punch the best.

jkemp9 said:
I got the accelerade earlier today and had some during a long tennis game tonight (after watching tivo'ed wimbledon this afternoon i couldn't help but play over ride). It seemed to do ok but it was just tennis. I plan, if it ever stops raining, to try it out for real soon. quick questions though. it says one scoop makes a 12oz drink, i think my bottles are close to 20oz. is it ok to water it down or should i keep the same concentration? also, can i absord the 5 or so grams of protein while i'm riding or should this be a late ride drink with gatorade or some other sugary mixture for the beginning?
thanks for the help.
Be careful. You want to keep the solution in the correct balance. Certainly more water is better than less. You do not want it very concentrated. I make 24 oz of it for each bottle and drink the remaining 8 oz just prior to the ride.

the engine said:
I'd use two scoops. Use whatever you want ... more for more energy or less for less taste.

You'll burn the protein while riding. The carbs will just be burned slower, as the body uses the protein as well, but on longer rides the protein will help the body use the carbs more efficiently.

Accelerade is a good choice ... Gatorade is just "simple" sugar water. :p
Actually the protein helps facilitate the transport of glucose across the cell membrane. I don't think that the body can properly use the protein during an endurance event like bike riding. It is all a matter of providing glucose as the fuel to drive the motor!

I tried Gatorade in South America when i was cycling there, i really didnt like the taste of any of the flavours at all!