Gatorade - The story of "synthetic sweat replacement and carbs forenergy"

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jbuch, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Gatorade®
    A Case-Study General Chemistry Curriculum
    Supported by the National Science Foundation

    Dr. Matthew Hermes
    email: [email protected]

    The development of Gatorade® links Core Chemical Concepts -- solution
    chemistry and thermochemistry -- to the decisions Gatorade's inventors
    made at the University of Florida in 1965! And it asks you to think
    about the folowing questions:

    * Did the doctors have the right to test a new beverage on the
    Florida team?
    * Who owns Gatorade®?

    For your ChemCases credit follow the Concept Elements 1 to 18, do the
    Quizzes at 13 and 17, and complete the Cases at 14 and 18.

    Gatorade® Concept Map

    http://science.kennesaw.edu/~mhermes/gatorade/index.htm#map

    ------- sample chemistry lesson on Gatorade ------

    Gatorade®
    6. Vigorous Exercise

    "Can you do anything to help us?" the sweating coach said as he watched
    his freshman football team stagger through a late-August workout. He
    pulled off his University of Florida Gators cap and wiped his forehead
    with a damp forearm. "We've had more than a dozen players in the
    infirmary over the weekend from dehydration and heat prostration."

    "Are they drinking water?" the team doctor asked.

    "Well, we have water for them. Yeah, they drink a little bit of it." The
    coach said.

    "What else do you do?" the doctor asked.

    "We make them take salt tablets because they sweat so much salt."

    "Do you give them juice? Orange juice?" the doctor said.

    "They guzzle the juice when we give it to them. Then they throw up. Same
    thing with soft drinks. They get cramps and get sick."

    "We think we can help, coach. We think we can make you a drink the team
    will like and that will let them tolerate the heat," said the team
    doctor. His name was Dana Shires

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    You're such a nimrod, jimbo.

    jbuch <[email protected]_HERE.revealed.net> wrote:
    :> Gatorade®
    :> A Case-Study General Chemistry Curriculum
    :> Supported by the National Science Foundation
    :>
    :> Dr. Matthew Hermes
    :> email: [email protected]
    :>
[...]

  3. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    No Sweat, Roger. :)-)

    At least I have a sense of humor......

    One can enjoy losing weight, and learning stuff new as well.

    No need to be so dogmatic and deadly serious, all the time.

    Jim