Gaumont Book On Julich

A friend just send me this translation:

"I saw them (Millar and the other english speaking riders on Cofidis)
totally 'lit'. They would sniff lines of powder that they would make by
mixing sleeping pills (Stilnox) with ephedrine. They would have fun by
going from room to room by way of the balcony, eight stories up. I
think Vezzani (an Italien doctor hired by Cofidis) came to the team in
May of 1998. We were in the middle of full on preparation for the Tour
de France and started taking care of the riders who were going to do
the race. That included, among others, Julich, Livingston, Rinero,
Desbiens and me. From Italy he'd send us express mail packages that
contained EPO and growth hormone, all wraped in cold packs. We'd get
the products along with instrcutions on how to use them."

Rinero, Julich, and Desbiens, they were never very good after 1998,
except for Julich now that he's with Riis.

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> A friend just send me this translation:
>
> "I saw them (Millar and the other english speaking riders on Cofidis)
> totally 'lit'. They would sniff lines of powder that they would make by
> mixing sleeping pills (Stilnox) with ephedrine. They would have fun by
> going from room to room by way of the balcony, eight stories up. I
> think Vezzani (an Italien doctor hired by Cofidis) came to the team in
> May of 1998. We were in the middle of full on preparation for the Tour
> de France and started taking care of the riders who were going to do
> the race. That included, among others, Julich, Livingston, Rinero,
> Desbiens and me. From Italy he'd send us express mail packages that
> contained EPO and growth hormone, all wraped in cold packs. We'd get
> the products along with instrcutions on how to use them."
>
> Rinero, Julich, and Desbiens, they were never very good after 1998,
> except for Julich now that he's with Riis.

Interesting observation. However, the conclusion you probably draw is
suspect- that Julich is doing well with Riis now, like in 1998 because he's
doping. (Excuse me if that's not what you were driving at). For that to be
true, one would have to believe that for some reason, Julich (and Rinero and
the others) after having the best year of their careers (attributable by you
to drugs) volantarily STOPPED doping for 5 years while they had mediocre or
worse years.. Not likely

Another possible interpretation is that drugs are not as much a determining
factor of performance as the team one rides for and how an individual fits
in that team.

trg wrote:

> > Rinero, Julich, and Desbiens, they were never very good after 1998,
> > except for Julich now that he's with Riis.
> >

> Interesting observation. However, the conclusion you probably draw is
> suspect- that Julich is doing well with Riis now, like in 1998 because he's
> doping. (Excuse me if that's not what you were driving at). For that to be
> true, one would have to believe that for some reason, Julich (and Rinero and
> the others) after having the best year of their careers (attributable by you
> to drugs) volantarily STOPPED doping for 5 years while they had mediocre or
> worse years.. Not likely

Dumbass -

After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...

> trg wrote:
>

> > > Rinero, Julich, and Desbiens, they were never very good after 1998,
> > > except for Julich now that he's with Riis.
> > >

> > Interesting observation. However, the conclusion you probably draw is
> > suspect- that Julich is doing well with Riis now, like in 1998 because

he's
> > doping. (Excuse me if that's not what you were driving at). For that to

be
> > true, one would have to believe that for some reason, Julich (and Rinero

and
> > the others) after having the best year of their careers (attributable by

you
> > to drugs) volantarily STOPPED doping for 5 years while they had mediocre

or
> > worse years.. Not likely

> Dumbass -
>
> After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
> down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

Henry-

You're saying there was no doping after 1998 ? You're even more naive than I
am. Anyway, there's no indication from Gaumont that it stopped, Millar and
the others at Cofidis seemed to have kept doping. Plus Julich left France
and was riding for Telekom where he could have avoided any French crackdown.
And he sucked even worse there.

all those guys had their best year at the same time
Gaumont accuses them of well organized doping,
i think doping is a little like an arms race, and at that particular
time, Cofidis had a well stocked arsenal..I'm sure doping continued,
but the organized team doping was over, in france at least.
I don't think Rinero got very good dope riding for OKTOS and teams like
that.
I think the idea of Julich and Livingston acting like fratboys was
probably the most interesting thing I got from that paragraph,
and snorting sleeping pills, I don't really understand that,
but this is the same sport with belgian pot, so nothing really
surprises me anymore.

trg wrote:

> > Dumbass -
> >
> > After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
> > down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.
> >

> > thanks,
> >
> > K. Gringioni.
> >

> Henry-
>
> You're saying there was no doping after 1998 ?

Dumbass -

There was no organized team doping (like Festina) on French teams after
1998.

That doesn't stop individuals from doing it.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

[email protected] wrote:
> all those guys had their best year at the same time
> Gaumont accuses them of well organized doping,
> i think doping is a little like an arms race, and at that particular
> time, Cofidis had a well stocked arsenal..

Dumbass -

Yep, it seems as if their stash (and Pantani's) didn't go down the
drain w/ Voet's network.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
>down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.

Connard,
Just because management did their Sgt Schultz impression means
neither that doping stopped nor that wasn't organized...

John Carter wrote:
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
> >down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.
> >

> Connard,
> Just because management did their Sgt Schultz impression means
> neither that doping stopped nor that wasn't organized...

Dumbass -

I think that for a few reasons. One is the public perception. Another
is anecdotes from a friend on one of the teams. The third is their
performance really sucked, especially compared to Cofidis' 4 guys in
the top 20 in GC performance of '98.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dumbass

How do you know there was no organized team doping?

> trg wrote:
> > >
> > > Dumbass -
> > >
> > > After the Festina affair of 1998, the French *legal* authorities came
> > > down HARD on the domestic teams. All that stuff stopped.
> > >

> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > K. Gringioni.
> > >

> > Henry-
> >
> > You're saying there was no doping after 1998 ?

> Dumbass -
>
> There was no organized team doping (like Festina) on French teams after
> 1998.
>
> That doesn't stop individuals from doing it.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.
>

> Rinero, Julich, and Desbiens, they were never very good after 1998,
> except for Julich now that he's with Riis.

Ya know, when you can't make money racing anymore you might as well make
some money with a scandalous book. It's pretty easy to cast aspersions on
Gaumont.

I don't want to get in the middle of this but Julich went to (the
French team) CA before he left for the German team. I suppose if Julich
was worried about that "crackdown" he could have left the country
sooner than what, 2002? Funny he went from the top American in 1998 to
a wannabe domestique. I don't mean a domestique that wanted to be more,
I mean someone that wanted to be good enough to race next to his old
pal Kevin Livingston as a domestique. Along those line, imagine how
funny all of those "betrayal" stories would have been of 2 Cofidis
Americans tried to help dethrone the King (that would be Sir
Lance-alot).

Carry on.